Forums > Personal > Friendly Chat

forum rss feed
Author

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 881 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Mar 20, 23:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, thanks for the link to the podcast. I've always enjoyed Freddie's interviews with David Wigg because he seems so relaxed. I could listen to him laugh all day.

I hope I'm attaching a picture of the salt cellars I got from my grandmother's house when she died. We were all allowed to choose something and I was so impressed with these as a little girl that I chose them. We were not a fancy family, but on special occasions my grandmother did like to set a pretty table. I recall seeing them every Easter. I remember loving these for the little glass "shovels" though it was easy to get too much salt! I have never actually used them in my home. They are just part of a small collection of salt cellars in a corner cabinet. Rainbow, I'd like to have been a fly on the wall at one of Freddie's dinners. I think I would have been too intimidated to take part in the clever repartee if I was actually there. Rainbow, I did like your idea of a Delilah ringtone. Freddie seemed to like gadgets so I'll bet he'd have loved cell phones.

Amidds, I hope your trip to Ireland works out. That's a country I've always wanted to see. Will you visit Jim's home of Carlow? I imagine you'd have to have very tolerant travel companions to do that. :)

As for the virus, it's been crazy around here. Schools in my state are out for three weeks, and my church just canceled services for the next two weeks. I don't get the TP run either, but I know it's out of stock in all the local stores. We had heard here that P and G said they might not be able to get the components they need to manufacture paper products, so that's part of the reason for madness in my area since P and G is a big employer. I know I saw a lot of empty shelves in the store on Wednesday.

Attachment: 2020313600065159.JPG 353 KB
This has been downloaded 19 time(s).

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 20, 01:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, first, Ireland since you all asked ;). We are SUPPOSED to start in Dublin and take the typical southern loop around for Killarney and Blarney castles, ring of Kerry, Limerick, Cliffs of Moor, Galway, Knebworth, then, back to Dublin. very typical touristy stuff which I LOVE! Of course we’re all a little worried our plans will be cancelled!

Second, I take care of my mother who is 89, immunocompromised, and doesn’t get around much. I grocery shop for her weekly. Stopped on my way home from work and had to go to 3 stores to get the 10 things she needed because the shelves were EMPTY!!! I laughed to myself cause, just earlier today, I had made the comment here that I didn’t see a lot of crazy in my area. Well, I stand corrected!!! But, I get the whole toilet paper thing now.....every time one person sneezes, 100 people shit themselves ;)

Ok, off to finally watch the new Finding Freddie episode....and see if I can find toilet paper anywhere lol. Might go out and steal napkins from restaurants! Have an awesome, non-crazy Friday y’all!

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2166 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 20, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd, I'm not much of a book person but I would assume Thor and Lee would set something up for themselves when and if it is time.If i were to publish a book i would be concerned with selling it first you work so hard on something it's also a investment as well.Discussing something and giving away information in a book your trying to get off the ground wouldnt make much sense to me.Ofcourse you want to keep a friendly relationship among your fan base that's were some of your money comes from .But it kinda defeats purpose to jump right in before you start selling your product.They are smart guys not born yesterday it seems everyone has rushed them so with this book.I think they been pretty generous with the threads and info they have given so far.I think this is a great buisness and retirement investment for them and that does take time.

Posted: 14 Mar 20, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, I get you wanting protect mom till this thing with the virus rolls over we just have to be strong as nations until it passes or they come up with a vaccine.Im putting off my treatments too they do weaken the immune system.Stay well wash hands everyone and make sure and by toilet paper there isnt hardly any.

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 575 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 20, 18:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy! Thank you for sharing picture of your grandmother’s salt cellar ... absolutely beautiful. And I love the conversation about what yo give. For Freddie, maybe a few coffee table books of artists? Or piece of clothing that was “different” I wonder what guests at the hat party brought. It was also funny reading that they had a place in the attic where some gifts would go. :). I do love the thought of giving no matter how much or little someone has we can always brighten a day. I love when people have commented years later that they still have something I gave them.

Amidds- I wasn’t familiar with salt cellars either :) and thank you for the link! Looking forward to watching. I hope your trip goes off ok. I was supposed to go to New York this weekend see billy Joel and a Broadway show but of course cancelled it. We are already discussing a re-do trip.

I know what you mean, right after the CH press conference, seems everyone hit the stores. There were no shopping carts available. Toilet paper comment-hysterical-I didn’t understand. Haha.

The one good thing, I think, coming from it is global, true concern and compassion for one another... let’s hope that continues.

Tomorrow may be comfy Queen yoga pants day for me. Maybe I’ll get some reading in. :-)))

Posted: 14 Mar 20, 18:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh. And a backscratcher..., everyone can use a good backscratcher. :—))))

Posted: 14 Mar 20, 18:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And- Katy— brilliant and thoughtful idea for a gift for Freddie!

Posted: 14 Mar 20, 18:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And- Katy— brilliant and thoughtful idea for a gift for Freddie!

Posted: 14 Mar 20, 23:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB, don't be too impressed with my Freddie gift idea. It isn't something that just popped into my head. I got curious a long time ago about what I would give him since he could/did buy everything he wanted. But I think it was Phoebe who said he loved to be remembered with gifts too, so I started to think about it. It took me a while to come up with salt cellars. I like your idea of an art book, maybe something rare and out of print. Of course that gets expensive. I also think clothing would be fun. He wore some crazy socks! I'll bet an awful lot of gifts went up to that attic space. Did you see his interview with Montserrat where they were both given silver replicas of the Santa Maria? I think that's the right ship. As soon as I saw it I thought there's one for the attic. It was beautiful but didn't seem to be Freddie's style.

I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip to NY. What Broadway show were you going to see? I knew Broadway was dark but I never thought about musical concerts. Wow, this is going to hit so many people economically.

I think you are right about global concern and compassion. We have needed that for a long time. I have friends who are sort of gypsying their way around the world. They just left Croatia, and are now in an AirB&B in Spain. Spain just went on total lockdown. She said the same thing happening in grocery stores here is happening there too.

Amidds, LOL on the TP joke. : )

Posted: 15 Mar 20, 00:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rudi is doing another Instagram live tomorrow at 2 pm Miami time.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 681 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 20, 06:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB050...Sorry to hear your shows in New York were cancelled this weekend. My husband and I have tickets to see "Brit Floyd" in mid April, and that show has been cancelled as well. Can you imagine how frustrating it would have been if Queen had to cancel the Knebworth concert for something like this? What an administrative nightmare it would have been to refund all of those tickets as I'm not sure how many people paid with a credit card back then. The Queen + AL show in Paris has already been postponed. Safety is more important though, so it's makes sense to take these precautions.

Amidds...Your trip sounds wonderful. When I went to Ireland, we landed in Shannon and traveled counter-clockwise (in a rental car) over a 2-week period to the Dingle Peninsula, Ring of Kerry, over to Cahir, Avoca (Where Ballykissangel was filmed) up to Dublin, and back across to Cong and Doolin. Glad you will see the Cliffs of Moher...stunningly beautiful. We were there all day. We stayed in 10 B&B's and 1 hotel on our trip, moving to a different place almost every night. Some days we only traveled about 50 miles, but that meant we could spend a lot of time at the places we loved...which was pretty much every place we visited.

I hope I can catch a part of Rudi's Instagram Live in the coming days. Someone posted a 2 minute video of if the last time and Katydyd, you gave us a nice summary..hint hint!!!

I'm sure once Thor/Lee and Rudi's books are out, there will be plenty to discuss, whether on the book thread or on this new "all purpose" thread. Katydyd and Thereuavit both had high praise for a book they recently read entitled "The Great Believers" by Rebecca Makkai. It's primarily set in 1980's Chicago and is about a group of friends and acquaintances and how they are impacted by the AIDS crisis. It's quite engrossing.

Posted: 15 Mar 20, 08:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I didnt mean my statement to be a pissing contest all I was stating was my opinion on generosity and the fact I actually worked in sales and financing since I was 19 years old that includes marketing.If you have a new product you dont in my opinion want to give information for free if your trying to get your product out thete.There would be no need to by it if you give it away for nothing.Afyer you see a reasonable profit yes ofcourse .As far as discussing Rudis book on the same thread as they would their own I dont know about that one that doesnt make sense either .But these are only my opinions of course not to be taking personal.Regardless of how how some feel not everyone is head over heals for Rudis book I have no feeling about his book rather than Peter's collaborations with him and I wont discuss that one to each their own.

Posted: 15 Mar 20, 08:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I didnt mean my statement to be a pissing contest all I was stating was my opinion on generosity and the fact I actually worked in sales and financing since I was 19 years old that includes marketing.If you have a new product you dont in my opinion want to give information for free if your trying to get your product out thete.There would be no need to by it if you give it away for nothing.Afyer you see a reasonable profit yes ofcourse .As far as discussing Rudis book on the same thread as they would their own I dont know about that one that doesnt make sense either .But these are only my opinions of course not to be taking personal.Regardless of how how some feel not everyone is head over heals for Rudis book I have no feeling about his book rather than Peter's collaborations with him and I wont discuss that one to each their own.

Posted: 15 Mar 20, 12:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow I'm going to try to remember to catch Rudi's Live chat and if I do I'll give a quick summary. I'm going to be kind of busy today so it may not be something I remember in time. LOL, maybe I can have Alexa remind me.

Posted: 15 Mar 20, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wanted to post about Rudi’s live today at 11:00 (LA time), looks like you all may be on top of it! I will prob miss it but will see if he keeps it in his feed.

Rainbow, your trip sounds a lot like mine except in reverse :). Now, unfortunately, looks like it may be cancelled. However, I follow an Ireland Travel on IG and they were showing pics of People swarming Temple Bar prob in some kind of protest of social distancing. That just tells me that the chances of us getting Corona and being quarantined skyrocketed! Not to mention that all tourist locations have now closed. The nurses in my group REALLY can’t be off work for a trip and quarantine time cause they will be needed. I know I sound selfish but I’m really bummed and am hoping our Paris/Montreux trip isn’t affected in September (all the crying emojis!)

Oh, and add my high praise for The Great Pretenders...couldn’t put it down!

Thereuhaveit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 20, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, lol-- 'The Great Believers', but I've also said the same on several occasions--it's a Freddie thing. :) Glad that all who've read it, loved it. I'm encouraging my 25 year-old to read it, but he hasn't--yet.

Posted: 15 Mar 20, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OMG was that a Freudian slip or what?!?! You can tell what I think about most days!

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Bohemian: 276 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 20, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds....too funny about the sneezing comment! Lol....I do hope your trip to Ireland works out because, well, it means the CV is contained. The 2 countries I’m most drawn to visiting are Ireland and Austria. I love the ancient mysticism of Ireland. While I was the state of Galicia in northern Spain, ( Galicia means Gaelic) you could definitely see the ancient Gaelic- Irish influences with their modified bag pipes they play in that region of north western Spain, also their folkloric dance and costume.

Katydy.....interesting, I had never heard of a salt cellar, they are beautiful and pristine.
I love going through antique markets, but not for collecting so much , but for the wonderful childhood memories it gives me when I recognize something from childhood.

Posted: 15 Mar 20, 18:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Listened to Rudi. No big deal. He's not so good at Live. He's all over the place in conversation, sometimes reading from a prepared list of questions, other times reading right off the screen. Part of the time today he spoke in German. He also did a lot of walking around his office which was hard to follow because of the motion of the camera. He says he's going to do this weekly for half an hour at a time, so I'm hoping he gets better with practice.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 6130 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 20, 19:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5 wrote:

Listened to Rudi ... I'm hoping he gets better with practice.

Judging by the documentaries they made about Queen, don't count on it.

"Queen is the only band in the world that can play so heavily that your nose bleeds, then offer a silk handkerchief to clean up with."