Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > the works tour

forum rss feed
Author

akan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Nov 03, 16:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

after live aid john said that they were not more a band in the months before it and they were only four musicians that worked togheter, if I listen to the concerts of the tours of the '85 i feel the sensation of 'boring' fo the boys during the shows, and i don't like too much the works tour /8485, what do you think about theese tours?

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 03, 00:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Works concerts had their ups and downs, mainly in terms of Freddie's voice. Roger's drum kit has definitely raised some controversy, and personally, I don't like most of the electronic effects he used.

Another complaint of mine, that I've voiced several times, is that I can't stand Spike's singing voice. On many of the Works bootlegs, his microphone is louder than Roger's or Brian's, and it drives me crazy that a non-member of Queen is clearer in the mix than actual members of Queen. His keyboards are sometimes unnecessary as well. For years, Queen were able to perform songs like TYMD and NIH without him, so they should have kept doing it the way they always had. However, keys in the improv section of NIH are a nice addition.

On a side note, I listened to the Budapest 86 show today, and Spike is exactly where he belongs in the mix. Vocals are mute, and keyboards are exactly loud enough, and only where they belong. Cheers to the folks who were in charge of releasing this show.

Back to the Works tour... many of the shows were just average shows, but here are the shows that I think people should seek out:

Brussels 8-24-84 (Freddie's voice is in great shape for this show, and it's worth it to hear him sing Seven Seas and It's A Hard Life "properly")

Birmingham 9-2-84 (for the sound quality)

London 9-8-84 (for the atmosphere)

Milano 84 (both shows, for the performance... Italy was new ground for Queen, so they gave that extra push for their fans having their first Queen experience. Or perhaps it's the excellent sound quality that just makes the band sound better than most of the other bootlegs from the tour!)

Stuttgart 9-27-84 (Freddie's falsettos were amazing throughout this show)

Rio 1-12-85 (A good night for Freddie, but a lousy recording)

Tokyo 5-9-85 (One of the greatest Queen concerts ever. Freddie's voice was in amazing shape, and they all knew it, and they delivered a much better show overall)

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Guy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 803 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 03, 00:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Bob, the last one he mentioned is probably the best from that tour.

"You'll never find rainbows if you're looking down."  -Charlie Chaplin
L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 03, 01:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree,it has some very good shows.

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
Pasazer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 328 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 03, 08:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The worst thing about it was Spike Edney's keyboard solo and the drumkit.

Wayne Gretzky user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 03, 08:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with William, AOBTD is great live, but it's crap at the Works tour.

Don't run into the long grass!
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 03, 11:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh yeah, I forgot about the key solo... probably because I just skip it every time without thinking!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Banquo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Banquo
Deity: 2636 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 03, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like the way they bought songs like Great King Rat and Stone Cold Crazy out of retirement.

Guess who's back?
qrock user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts

Posted: 23 Oct 10, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think The Works tour was anywhere near as a good as the Magic one.