Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > URGENT HELP REQUIRED!

forum rss feed
Author

the oppositionist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 882 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all. Uni is going well but i need your help.
1) Im doing a project about how singing affects your voice and causes illness. Can anyone describe the symptoms/ probs freddie suffered?
2) Can anyone tell me if i have to get permission to use his name in the project even though it isnt being graded?
3) can anyone name any famous singers who have suffered voice problems?
ta all
oppo

melinadeacon@queenzone.com
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 13:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"3) can anyone name any famous singers who have suffered voice problems?
ta all"

Freddie and Meatloaf for sure. I'm sure there are others...

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 13:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No wonder, cos he sung so bloody high in the 70s

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 13:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If the Tabloids can print unauthorized pictures of Freddie in his dying says, I think you can mention him in an academic paper.

Also, Elton John had throat surgery in the late-80s, thus the reason his voice sounds different than it did earlier in his career. I can't remember exactly the reason, but I believe it was related to strain.

DJ's the man we love the most
Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

3) I think Bono had problems with his voice, too cos he used to smoke these cigarillos. I think he spent some time in hospital as well and gave up smoking then.

And I don't see the problem in using his name in your school project. All the world knows that he died of Aids. Well, my opinion. That's up to you I guess.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Robin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Robin
Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 14:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Julie Andrews' beautiful voice was screwed up forever after a botched throat surgery. :(

Robin

NoOneButYou1975 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2320 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 14:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also, Elton John had throat surgery in the late-80s, thus the reason his voice sounds different than it did earlier in his career. I can't remember exactly the reason, but I believe it was related to strain.

and pot was also another reason

I'm caught in between with a fading dream ..........

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/QueenForADay

pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Also, Elton John had throat surgery in the late-80s, thus the reason his voice sounds different than it did earlier in his career. I can't remember exactly the reason, but I believe it was related to strain."

He had polyps? from his throath removed. That itself is no explanation to why he sounded like 4-5 different people during his career ;-) bad life-style, wrong singing technique, constant drug abuse are more like it. Opera singers for example go through similar surgery and suffer no noticeable deterioration to their range.

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll defer to PMA on that, but to me there is a definite change in Elton's voice in the late-80s. Not sure what it can be attributed to, though.

DJ's the man we love the most
pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Continuing on this 'interesting' topic.

He starts to sound quite different and lower in 1977. (comparing rainbow rock bleg to Fine China bleg). So I'd 1st change at 76-77, second 1980 (21 at 33) he sounds ghastly at Central Park 82 gig and Wembley 84 to be honest. Next one is Sleeping With The Past (1989), The One (1992) and....I guess Songs From The West Coast (2001) that's what...4 or 5 noticeable changes in his technique and range. I can't help to say that him singing 70's material with his todays voice is ...dreadfull at parts. Just my opinion...

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

The Man On The Prowl user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1525 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course Elton and Joe Cocker had problems with their voice.
Joe mainly because he has never had any respect for his throat while singing.
As to Elton he had an operation in the late 80's, before the Reg Strikes Back album. If you listen to his 90's records his voice is much different from his early records (especially Honky Chateau, Don't Shoot Me and Brick Road). Actually it's almost a new voice, except for his personal pronunciations and phonetics. It became deeper, graver, but perhaps even more powerful.

And then, many other singers changed their voice growing older, for instance Liza Minelli, Annie Lennox...
Not sure about Robert Plant's falsettos, Ian Gillian... Probably also Axl Rose has had some problems if you consider his natural voice and the voice he uses to sing...
I know Mariah Carey had some problems, too.

At the moment I just have a Diploma of Scientific High School but if you want to mention all the queenzoners in your bibliography, my name is Alberto Orlandini, and you have my permission :-)

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 17:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

that singer from Bush had to quit singing because he fucked up his vocal chords with forcing it too much.

And brian also had a throat operation in late 98's. Dunno if it's because of singing, or because of something else

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Carlos user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 334 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 23:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Scorpions' Klaus Meine also had major throat surgery: After more successful world tours, in 1981, while recording Blackout, Klaus Meine lost his voice. After lengthy vocal retraining and two operations on his vocal chords, Klaus Meine overcame the trauma. And that was not all: in 1982, he re-emerged with a much increased vocal range. One critic wrote: "They have given Klaus Meine metal vocal chords."

that came from the official scorpions webpage