Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The Naive Fan...

forum rss feed
Author

bleeding heart show user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 404 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok we were all naive when we first got into Queen so this topic is for u to post those thoughts that u had on the band before u started knowing them more, buying thier albums.....etc.

in my case :

1- I used to think that Roger was Freddie.
2- I thought that Freddie wrote BR before his death and after i knew that it was written 21 years before it I thought that he prophecised his death.
3- I also used to think that freddie got aids from having sex with bitches. "never imagined that he was gay"
4- I used to think that "Bohemian" was a word that freddie ivented!!

I've got alot more but i can't remember them since that it's been so long ago ......

that's enough about me, now, what do you think of me ?
Saffron Caribou user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2326 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 20:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I used to think that John's surname was Pecan. Then later on I learnt it was Deacon :-P
We all have been thru the naive period ^.^

When you open your heart to a smooth operator...
RainMustFall user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 258 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 21:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I used to think Freddie was Roger too. Maybe Freddie just sounds like a blonde?

And, I used to be confused on whether Bo Rhap was their last song or their first; and then when I saw the four-head pic, I was further confused, thinking that the song was on Queen II... oy.

You lead a fairytale existance,

But into every life a litte

Rain must fall.
CatGurl14 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3538 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 21:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I got all the members mixed up except for Freddie hehe and I didn't know they sang You're My Best Friend.
There are a few others I'm sure but I can't recall them at the moment.

"If you break down, I will remind you ooooh of what you were yesterday.

You can break down, I'll be behind you every day by day."
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6373 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 22:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My mom told me there was another meaning for Queen other than royalty.

I thought Freddie being gay was a promotional act. He obviously could not possibly be gay with Mary at his side.

I thought John wrote The Night Comes Down and Funny How Love Is because John had to write at least one song per album (8-tracks did not show writer's credits).

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
Matti user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1619 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 03, 23:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I used to get them all mixed up also.

Total Blam Blam
MexQueenFM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 13266 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 03, 00:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I used to think it was john taylor, and i couldn't remember the other guy's name

Mejor yo me hecho una chela, y chance enchufo una chava, chambeando de chafirete, me sobra chupe y pachanga

Tranzando de arriba a abajo, hay va la chilanga banda , chinchin si me la recuerdan
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 03, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I used to think 'We Will Rock You' was SUNG by Brian May, and feeling disappointed and confused after seeing a broadcast on VH1 about Freddie dying (they showed the 'We Will Rock You' video).

As "News Of The World" was the only cassette tape I owned at the time of Freddie's death, I thought the band would constantly end shows with 'My Melancholy Blues'. I asked my dad if Freddie died while performing the song on stage, but he sort of gave me a look and said no.

And not really a misconception, but when I got "The Game" and I listened to 'Rock It (Prime Jive)', and then looked at the booklet at Roger's picture, I always thought he was smirking because he knew he wrote such a great song.

wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 03, 00:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I used to think these are the days of our lives was written by freddie
same as WWTLF and TSMGO

MY GOD spell it write.
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 03, 00:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought the guitarist sang the other part on Under Pressure.

DJ's the man we love the most
Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 03, 02:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My mum has always been a big Queen fan and told me a lot about them and that's how I got into them so I knew pretty much from the beginning.

I was 9 or 10 and didn't really understand english. I think I posted this in my first post that I never understood the words correctly. I thought "It's A Hard Life" was "It's A Horse Life" and there were so many other songs I used to sing along but I sung the words the way I understood them - completely wrong.

And I thought GH 1 and 2 were the only albums they had released cos they were the only ones that my mum gave me to listen to. (I didn't really get this "Greatest Hits" thing, and I didn't really care).
When I finally found out that this was really just a compilation of their greatest hits I was upset and started to collect their albums.

I read a lot about Freddie and aids shortly after he died and felt so sorry for his parents and wanted to write them a letter to say that I'm sorry.
I probably wanted to write it German or Portuguese as these were the only languages I could speak back then.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 03, 03:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I started buying records being 10-11, was really, really angry when after purchasing GH and GHII it turned out that there was nothing new there and that they repeated the songs on few albums. Didn't know what a compilation is...

Vim Fuego user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 38 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 03, 05:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Growing up in the seventies, I practically grew up with Queen, so when I became a "fan" in 1980, I pretty much knew who was who....though it was about that time I started buying their albums finding out You're my best friend was their song.....I always liked the song, never realised it was Queen....

Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 03, 05:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah, another thing I remember. As I was only 9 or 10 and was starting to get interested in good looking boys and most important: singers and famous people had to be good looking!!!
When I first saw a picture of Freddie I thought: God, he was damn ugly for a singer!

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Robin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Robin
Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 03, 07:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I got into Queen back in the early 70's, I was always afraid that Roger would quit because Freddie's "poofy" songs did not seem like something he would like to play. He always struck me as the bad boy rocker who would hate Good Old Fashion Loverboy. My bad. Hey, I was like 15! Little did I know how commited they all were!

Robin

ogre t raylot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 994 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 03, 07:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

being a Queen fan in the seventies, I used to think the band had four members and all that schpiel about 'If one member left, that'd be the end.'

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 03, 07:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice one, ogre

*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1128 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 03, 08:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Being a naive teenager, I was disappointed that Queen II didn't match the kickass performance I saw in the spring of 74. Being even more naive, I wondered why John grew a beard for the SHA album cover pic;-)

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
Mr Coolest Cat user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr Coolest Cat
Bohemian: 908 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 03, 08:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When i first got into Queen in 1973, i thought they were the best band i'd ever heard, guess what?, i still think the same today.

There must be more to life than this.
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 03, 09:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also thought Brian sang We Will Rock You, until I saw it at Live Aid

Many bands I knew before (Van Halen, U2, Extreme) had a characteristic: the (official) keyboardist was the guitarist. I assumed Brian was the pianist of Queen too and that Freddie didn't play anything. It all changed when I watched Bo Rhap's video

Other than that I don't remember so many. Oh, I thought I Can't Live With You was John's, also because he had to have at least one song per album, and I always considered Don't Try So Hard to be either Freddie or Brian.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.