Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen were not Freddie's solo group!

forum rss feed
Author

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Nov 03, 18:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen were not Freddie's solo group! How many times does this have to be said! Brian was the founding member while they not only all wrote songs and everyone but John sang they also all wrote hits! Brian and Roger can and will go out as Queen again...mark my words!

Posted: 29 Nov 03, 18:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ooops! Sorry! I meant to post this with another post but the point still remains!

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 03, 18:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian wasn't the founder of Queen. Brian, Roger and Freddie were. Brian and Tim were the founders of Smile though, so technically Brian was the first member of the band that was to become Queen....

Posted: 29 Nov 03, 18:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My understanding is that Brian May is the one who owns the rights to the name Queen...

QueenSite user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1191 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 03, 18:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

he hold the rights together with Roger, but he's more "in control"

http://utenti.lycos.it/queensite02

Please visit my site devoted to Queen! Lots of rare pix and memorabilia featured!
Saffron Caribou user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2326 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 03, 18:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They all own Queen. Brian is the one that uses it more.

When you open your heart to a smooth operator...
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 03, 18:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I respect all the Queen members and I think that they are extrordinary musicians, but still I'm gonna say this.

When Freddie was alive, Queen were a super group and famous everywhere. When he died, no-one really cares what the band does.

The A Kind Of Magic video actually shows us the situation perfectly. Freddie comes, makes the 3 guys something, Freddie leaves, the guys go back to where they were.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 03, 19:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian wasn't the founding member. Founding members were Brian, Roger, Freddie and ... Barry is it?

Saying Brian was the founding member because he was in 1984 then in Smile and then in Queen is absurd. Queen is not Smile.

Or else I can say Wreckage was Queen but then people quit and Brian and Roger joined

Queen is not Fred's backing band, I agree

Queen was a band of four, and if they're not all four there's no Queen IMO

If Brian was dead and Roger retired it would be unfair for me that Fred and John performed as Queen

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 29 Nov 03, 19:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's because neither Fred nor John held the rights to the name. Also John wrote and sang much less than Roger. It was also Roger who has had success as a solo recording and touring artist in doing the vocals himself. It is John and those who use a certain hippie ideology that in my opinion does nothing but hold back what good could be done in the meantime on the basis of "not working". How sad...

Posted: 29 Nov 03, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's because neither Fred nor John held the rights to the name. Also John wrote and sang much less than Roger. It was also Roger who has had success as a solo recording and touring artist in doing the vocals himself. It is John and those who use a certain hippie ideology that in my opinion does nothing but hold back what good could be done in the meantime on the basis of "not working". How sad...

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 03, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"If Brian was dead and Roger retired it would be unfair for me that Fred and John performed as Queen"

Those are 2 totally different things, Freddie and John - no Queen sound
Brian and Roger - Queen sound.

The most important entertainer isn't in the band anymore.
The most important member for the Queen sound is still there.

Stop this crap about Queen without Freddie. If Brian and Roger want to play as Queen, so be it. It's their band, and they decide what will be the future of their band.

And if you don't like it, just don't buy the music and shut up!

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 03, 20:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stop this crap about Queen without Freddie. If Brian and Roger want to play as Queen, so be it. It's their band, and they decide what will be the future of their band.

And if you don't like it, just don't buy the music and shut up!

lol =-)

MY GOD spell it write.
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 03, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"...if you don't like it, just don't buy the music and shut up!"

Nicely put.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Sebastian

Posted: 29 Nov 03, 21:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the queen sound is more brian, I agree, but it's like a car, if you don't have motor it doesn't run

it's different in a band like guns n roses where they could change drummer and still be them

for me, queen is john, brian, roger and freddie. they're all fundamental part of the band even though brian added more to the trademark queen sound with his voice and guitar, and even though fred wrote numerically more songs than the rest, I consider they were all equally important

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 03, 22:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's clearly no acceptable option for all involved. Either Freddie is resurrected and John rejoins, or Brian and Roger just give up and retire because of what a bunch of their (narrow-minded) fans think is morally right. It's a lose-lose situation either way.

RZ4 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 03, 03:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"it's different in a band like guns n roses where they could change drummer and still be them

for me, queen is john, brian, roger and freddie. they're all fundamental part of the band even though brian added more to the trademark queen sound with his voice and guitar, and even though fred wrote numerically more songs than the rest, I consider they were all equally important"

Yes, exactly. It's funny because I am a huge fan of Guns N' Roses, and with the new lineup(which only features Axl and Dizzy, from the old lineup), I still feel completely satisfied and hopeful for what I have seen and the potential of the band.

But, with Brian and Roger(as much I like them), going around playing music under the Queen banner...hmm, I just don't know. Queen is different. Without Freddie, it simply is not Queen anymore. I see no problem with Brian and Roger just performing and creating new music under their own names(or perhaps a new name, if they are going to organize an actual group).

I see people come on the GNR forums that I go to everyday, and complain about how "it's not GNR anymore. Axl does not equal GNR, without the original guys." And it doesn't bother me at all. But with Queen...it seems as if I am on the opposite end of the road. I really don't think Brian and Roger should use the Queen name to identify their current and future endeavors. And as much as Brian and Roger still contain and maintain "the Queen sound," without Freddie and John, they aren't really Queen, and I would feel a lot better knowing that the name "Queen" is forever identified by the twenty year reign that it is attached to it, from 1971 to 1991.

Brian and Roger, I would love to see you guys tour, and even make more new music, but it would really be even better, and more...satisfying, if you guys were to do it, without attaching the Queen name to it.

Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 03, 05:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm with William. Although I think Queen without Freddie are definitely not the same and will never be but they can do whatever they want with their music.
And they certainly catch more attention if they go on doing it under the name Queen.
Queen is such a signinficant name in music.
I don't like the idea of a proper tour though cos Freddie was the showman, he made a difference at the concerts. Although Brian and Roger are awesome musicians, it might look a bit like "let's pretend we're 20 years back again" or something. I don't know...
I don't like the idea of "reunion tours" (if you can call it that) anyway.
There were always rumours about The Clash doing a reunion tour before Joe Strummer died and I always admired them for never having done it! Although they were offered millions.
But Joe always said: Their time is over, they had their time in the 70's, 80's and doing a reunion tour would be fake cos it would never be the same as it was back then."
And I think the same way about Queen.
But I wouldn't like them less if they did it.
It's up to them.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Spisso user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 916 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 03, 06:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm with FriedChicken.

Totally, perfectly hit the key point.

"Teo Torriatte Konomama Iko

Aisurhito Io

Shizukana Yoi Ni

Hikario Tomoshi

Itoshiki Oshieo Idaki"
Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 03, 07:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What FriedChicken said is correct but he missed one, IMO very important point: The sound is there but the voice isn't.
And the Freddie's voice was a very important thing in Queen.

But I support anything they do. They keep the spirit of Queen alive and that's good.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Sebastian

Posted: 30 Nov 03, 07:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with the GnR thing, I like the new band, even though my favourite band member will always be Izzy, and Michael "Duff" McKagan will be a close second. But they do sound like GnR

It seems to me that even though they´re great, they could be replaced, and Buckethead is equally great as Slash IMO.

In the Queen case I don´t feel the same way. Besides the fact they´re without Fred or John (and for me it´s like a person with heart and lungs but without brain or aortic pump), Rog´s drumming sucks now and so does Brian´s singing. IN MY OPINION