Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > 46664 & Sun City

forum rss feed
Author

Billie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 570 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Dec 03, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess this "Queen" appearence in this 46664 campaign is a good way for washisng old debts after the controversy and the condemn by the international community for the concerts in Sun City. They also were black-listed by the United Nations and Live Aid didn't change it.
I congratulate Mandela for his efforts in the past, and for letting Roger and Brian play in his concert. Maybe he could have said: "You played in South Africa with the Apartheid and you didn't care, so you are out now". But he didn't, and that demonstrates that he's a really great man.
But one thing is going round in my mind. Queen always defined themselves as a "non-political group". And now what? Stoping AIDS is not a political statement?

To make sure you find

You've got nothing to lose

You don't need nobody else... but me!
Mr. Teatime user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 114 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 03, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One of the points was that aids is no longer about politics, it has become a human rights issue

SweetSister user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 03, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think you've got it all wrong. Queen played Sun City while there was apartheid in SA - and had a multiracial audience I might add - because they wanted to show that music was above the politics that were going on at the time. This, seems to me, is just exactly the sort of thing Mandela would want to support...?

And you can't elect AIDS. It is only a political issue insofar as government leaders need to be onboard if it is ever to be stopped.

I don't wanna be a wannabe - I wanna be IT!
Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 03, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AIDS is first and foremost a health issue. Matters of life-and-death should always trump politics. And why is it that Brian and Roger have to be strictly held to statements they made 10, 15 or 20 years ago, as if people are never allowed to change their minds? Particularly as applies to the AIDS issue - they may not have seen themselves as a political band 20 years ago, but insofar as AIDS is concerned, something rather big happened to them in the intervening 20 years - Freddie died. That might cause someone to re-examine their point of view, and justifiably so.

Blow it out your ass.
Spisso user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 916 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 03, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with SweetSister

"Teo Torriatte Konomama Iko

Aisurhito Io

Shizukana Yoi Ni

Hikario Tomoshi

Itoshiki Oshieo Idaki"
MexQueenFM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 13266 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 03, 19:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah, agree with Sweetsister

Mejor yo me hecho una chela, y chance enchufo una chava, chambeando de chafirete, me sobra chupe y pachanga

Tranzando de arriba a abajo, hay va la chilanga banda , chinchin si me la recuerdan
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 03, 19:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

While the other members of Queen made it seem like they were a non-political group and they didn't support apartheid, Freddie kinda fucked it up when he said...

"There's tons of money to make there".

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 03, 19:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I think you've got it all wrong. Queen played Sun City while there was apartheid in SA - and had a multiracial audience I might add - because they wanted to show that music was above the politics that were going on at the time. This, seems to me, is just exactly the sort of thing Mandela would want to support...?"

Talk about being in a state of denial! lol!

Anyway, I wonder if there is a connection between Paul Simon's absence and the political criticism he faced for his Graceland album?

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)