Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Staying Power-Milton Keynes

forum rss feed
Author

D.Blythe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 581 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Dec 03, 01:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First of all, not many shots of John during the song. On the few angles where you can see him, he appears to be playing a black six string guitar. Rhythm guitar? If so, who played bass? Morgan Fisher? Or was John playing a six string bass? The strings did not look big enough to be bass strings.

FAHRENHEIT 911

"Truth is the greatest of all national possessions. A state, a people, a system which suppresses the truth or fears to publish it, deserves to collapse" Kurt Eisner

Wayne Gretzky user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 03, 01:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No one played bassguitar.

Don't run into the long grass!
Shane Jazz user is on Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 03, 02:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, John played rhythm guitar on this one. Really fun to see that. Everyone went the extra mile on this one. Roger once said it was one of the hardest songs to play drums on.

Man Made Paradise
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 03, 04:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John indeed played guitar, It's a black Telecaster. And no one played bass. The keyboard bass was play by the additional keyboard player, which was, I think, Morgan Fisher

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 03, 08:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember Roger mentioning Fred Mandel played synth bass in both Staying Power and Body Language, so I wonder what did John do in that one. Perhaps he played another rhythm or he just sat and watched his band-mates play

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 03, 11:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Fred Mandel played synth bass in both Staying Power and Body Language, so I wonder what did John do in that one"

Maybe he was miming. Body Language, you know.

Mcm user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 205 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 03, 06:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I had no idea that John played a guitar on this song. I didn't even know he COULD play the guitar. I watched it last night to check and it seems that he plays some bass-type riffs especially the final shot we see of him (you know, the "Power, Power Gotcha") bit. Thanks for pointing that out.

Posted: 05 Dec 03, 06:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John plays guitar on a lot of songs (most of the time acoustic or clean electric guitar)

Who needs you
Need your loving Tonight
Misfire
Spread Your Wings

and more!

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 03, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah, the happy hours of my youth spent reading sleeve notes. Any volunteers to type them all up into ID3 tags then we can start re-educating the mp3 generation?

[StArMaN] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 03, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is reported somewhere that John did the rythmic guitar in "Bites The Dust"

Sebastian

Posted: 05 Dec 03, 10:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John did a lot of rhythm stuff

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Sebastian

Posted: 05 Dec 03, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> I watched it last night to check and it seems that he plays some bass-type riffs especially the final shot we see of him

the bass riff is doubled by Brian's rhythm guitar, not by John. What John did was a fast funky rhythm, like the one in 'Cool Cat', although that one is much slower

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 03, 13:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Ah, the happy hours of my youth spent reading sleeve notes. Any volunteers to type them all up into ID3 tags then we can start re-educating the mp3 generation?"

Nah, they can just come here to find out anything they need to know about their new mp3s. No need to buy the cd.

And to clear up any misunderstanding about Fisher/Mandel, Mandel was the keyboardist for the US and Japanese legs of the Hot Space tour. Apparently Fisher was afraid of flying, so that's why the Milton Keynes show was his last.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 05 Dec 03, 14:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL @ P_G

I totally agree, dude

Lazy mp3 generation