Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Roger's drumming at 46664

forum rss feed
Author

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 11:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was pathetic folks, there's no doubt.

For those who watched the whole broadcast, you'll recall when he was asked what he does before he performs, he mentioned that he has a good drink, or something along those lines. He looked half-tanked on the stage. He could barely keep the beat in Toss The Feathers, and he was constantly missing cues of the irregular beats. He had similar issues at the Jubilee concert in June of 02. During God Save The Queen, he was barely hitting his drum at all, and it was a single drum!

Now before everyone jumps in and says, "Roger's in his 50s, give him a break", I'd like everyone to be aware of the fact that Neil Peart from Rush is over 50, and he's at the top of his game.

So is it the alcohol? If not, then what the hell is wrong with Roger?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Azmandaman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 333 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Respect your elders son" see how you feel little spring chicken after living the rock n' roll life, to get you conciously goin why not have somthing to warm the old cockles.

Age is nothing and comparison is a cheap shot every one is different, like the heavily thought out views that me and you wanna share.

Roger rocks he did and will continue woteva fuel is gonna spring him back he was da pesronal original universal
rock drumming beat creator of the Queen sound big up!

too much sweetness is starting to turn

on all of us

Jab and Tranquilize the sour vibe.

so the taste of the bitter pills be our discipline once again

(Shaggy)

Daz85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1802 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 11:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounded fine to me. Nothing wrong with it.

Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 11:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"So is it the alcohol? If not, then what the hell is wrong with Roger?"

- The alcohol has nothing to do with it, given that he presumably always used to drink before a gig when he was on top form.

The only thing the hell wrong with Roger is that he obviously very rarely plays drums these days, and obviously likes the situation to be like that.

When he was at his prime he confessed to never practising, but at that point he was pretty much either touring or recording constantly.

Now that he's doing neither of those things it should be obvious to see that he basically never plays the drums, save for the odd "Queen" gig every now and then.

To say "Neil Peart can do it, so why can't Rog?" is just pointless. Peart's always been a more virtuosic drummer than Roger, and I would assume he still practises and gigs alot, allowing him to retain the chops that he's built up over the years of practising and playing. If Rog could be bothered to practise for 8 hours ever day and get himself into shape, then I daresay he could possibly be doing what Neil Peart does now.

I'm 24 and I can bicep curl 15kg, yet I expect when Arnie was my age he could do at least twice that amount, so should I have to be able to do that amount?

Rog seems to not have the inclination to play the drums any more, and as such has obviously declined as a drummer.

And that's it, surely.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
NoOneButYou1975 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2320 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 11:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

maybe he wasnt playing the lead drums on it...The Corrs where playing and Roger was a guest on that part of the set i guess

I'm caught in between with a fading dream ..........

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/QueenForADay

Wayne Gretzky user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 12:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Roger was quite good at the 46664 concert. I have not heard Toss The Feathers, but I've heard some other tracks and he wasn't that bad.

Don't run into the long grass!
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 13:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

" I'd like everyone to be aware of the fact that Neil Peart from Rush is over 50, and he's at the top of his game."

Roger plays maybe a maximum of 5 shows a year, Peart...a lot more!
If Roger tried to get in shape again with practicing a lot I have no doubt that his drumming would get better.

And as for God save The Queen, I think Roger didn't play the drums much cause he thought it was Brians moment, Brians time in the spotlight

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
siljeoen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1313 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 14:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*agrees*

Queen Rules-Rock On!!!

...I`m Lord of all Darkness,I`m Queen of the night...
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Leave the man alone, will you.

That guy from Rush is still in good shape because he still constantly plays with his band, and Roger doesn't.
He might not be at the top of his game, but I don't think Roger is as bad as to call him "pathetic".

So now what are you going to call Roger next?... a "sell out"?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Roger rocks he did and will continue woteva fuel is gonna spring him back he was da pesronal original universal
rock drumming beat creator of the Queen sound big up!"

...What?

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Robin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Robin
Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought his performance with the Corrs was cool! He was fine. He admits he does not practice so there ya go.

Robin

jeff payne 1680 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 711 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well gh you are a prat you obviously don't knot much about drumming I sat and listened to toss the feathers (the original) and the drumming is as Roger does it slightly out of sinc and how the fuck can you slag off a a man when what do you know about drumming you prat get a life I sat with Steve Ferrone (if u know about drums u know him) and we went over and over the drumming and thought it was ok

jeffpayne56@msn.com
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 16:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

maybe RT does not want to play so good, so Brian will give him the lead singing job =)

MY GOD spell it write.
AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 17:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Roger is great! He does need to get into shape more, do more practicing playing AND singing at the same time, and do more solo stuff. Same for, uh, John Deacon...I can't wait until his solo album and tour comes out. You hear me out there John? Anyone who knows someone who knows him can let him know I am waiting...and waiting...

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 18:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Uh... Man In The Shadows was already released years ago Alex?

[StArMaN] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 20:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, you're right Pim, I saw an add at the UK convention, this year. John still rules the world !!! :)

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 23:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Huh? What's "Man In The Shadows"? Is that some solo thing with Roger? Sorry! I don't know his solo stuff that well but would LOVE to! I just haven't gotten the chance (or money yet too) but I intend to someday!

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 23:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's John Deacon's first solo album, released in 1998 (?). Some good tracks, my favorite is 'Birdman's Blues'.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 23:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I asked for an honest answer, and I got it, from most people. Yes, of course Roger doesn't play nearly as much as Neil Peart. However, if Rog wants to pass as a professional drummer, even if it's for an occasional gig, he's gotta practice a little. Otherwise, he'll just look like crap. All he did at the 46664 concert was keep simple 4/4 time. An 8 year old could do that.

Mr. Payne, why are you attacking me, and not the subject at hand? Sounds like you're getting a bit defensive here! Yes, although I'm a guitarist, I know plenty about the drums as well. Just watch the video of Toss The Feathers. There are several points where there are odd-beat/time cymbals that Roger just doesn't hit. He thinks about it for a second, and realizes it's too late to hit it at the right time. It's just like at the FM tribute concert during Innuendo, Rog missed a very important choked cymbal, which was probably due to a lack of practice. But back to TtF, as soon as the part with the intricate time signature passes by, he can jump right back into the 4/4 time, no problem. Rog has never played outside of 3/4 or 4/4 time in his life, and when TtF rolls around, he hasn't got a chance in nailing it, unless he totally memorizes the piece and practices very, very hard.

It was blatantly obvious that Roger didn't look comfortable on his kit. His singing is another story, of course. His performance on "Say It's Not True" was a definite highlight of the day, and is certainly one of his best tracks in recent years.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 03, 23:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking as a drummer, drumming is certainly one of the more physically challenging professions in a band. Yes, I'm sure that all professions within a band are equally challenging, but drumming is difficult and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Given that I didn't watch the concert, I won't comment on Roger's performance, but I'm certain that it's just the lack of drumming regularly. A similar problem occured with Keith Moon back in the mid-70s; as I'm sure most of you know, Moon was one of the most energetic, albeit erratic, drummers around. Unfortunately, his excessive lifestyle took precedence over fine-tuning (excuse the pun) his drumming, so he fell into a period of decline and never fully regained. If you listen to the last album he recorded with The Who ("Who Are You"), his drumming is pretty sluggish and uncharacteristic. And if you watch "The Kids Are Alright", for 'Baba O'Riley' and 'Won't Get Fooled Again' (taken from the last live performance The Who gave with Moon), he struggles to keep up.

So I'm sure that Roger is just out of practice, although he doesn't seem too concerned with it.