Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > bye

forum rss feed
Author

joep the rocker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 425 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Dec 03, 22:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'They are jeopardising the future 46664 DVD, sucking the blood not from us, but from Nelson Mandela, from the Foundation, and from the dying children we are all trying to save'

The more i read this the more upset i get about this statement. Brian doesnt have the right to point his finger like that and keep me responsible for dying children. He doesnt know me and the fact that i downloaded some songs doesnt make me 'suck the blood from dying children'. I have supported this 46664 gig by calling, entering in discussions and by promoting it to people around me. Apperently thats not good enough.

I have supported queen for many years now, but now i guess its time for me to move on. I feel kinda allienated from the band right now. Maybe i'll be back some other time.
(leaves with a dramatical gesture!)

wonderboy, what is the secret of your power?

D.Blythe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 581 posts

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 01:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Will you be buying the 46664 dvd? If not, then you may be proving Brian's point. By downloading the songs simply because they are new recordings by Brian and Roger, you are bypassing the royalty structure set up to channel funds to the AIDS charities who would profit from the show. Also, if you do not buy the dvd because you are momentarily(?) peeved with Brian's view of people who download music, the children who are in need of the medicine and research that the profits would provide would be the real victims. I do not download music. I agree with what Mike Mills of REM said,"I don't see any difference between downloading songs from the internet and going into Tower records, putting the cd in your pocket and walking out without paying for it." Whomever provided the songs from the 46664 concert for download is obviously not concerned with the larger message that was intended to with the songs.

FAHRENHEIT 911

"Truth is the greatest of all national possessions. A state, a people, a system which suppresses the truth or fears to publish it, deserves to collapse" Kurt Eisner

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6373 posts

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 01:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

true - except that the item is not available at Tower Records, and that the item was broadcast widely on television.

Brians comments are a self fulfilling prophesy. Brian has only succeeded in aggravating some "true" fans into considering not buying it. Despite Brian's rant, I will still buy the DVD, despite my downloading of the concert songs, but I might question my sanity.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 02:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Such gestures are senseless. Stopping supporting the band just because Brian talks bullshit in the soapbox? He knows (or will know) he made a big mistake because I have never seen such a criticism aimed at him before, now virtually 99% of fans are against him for what he said, just read the posts in forums or on QMS.

Anyway, if you (or me or anybody else) stop supporting Queen, it should be because of the music, not because of some article.

Baby_B user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 03:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Scully, what is "QMS"? (Please forgive my ignorance!...)

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 03:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QMS is probably the biggest Queen mailing list. To be a part of it you must subscribe on the QMS website:
http://www.queen-rocks.com/%7Eunicorn/qms.htm

For more information about QMS look here
http://www.queenwords.com/friends_qms.shtml

I do not want any google ads here.

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 05:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's probably the oldest Queen mailing list but it has only a couple of hundreds of members and only 20-30 of them post. So it's not a valuable resource of information at all these days.

proton user not visiting Queenzone.com
proton
Bohemian: 587 posts

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 07:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

700 members is more than a couple of hundred :-)
And if the right subject comes along, enough people post.

Concerning Brian's comments: they were aimed at those people downloading WITHOUT paying/donating anything. If you called 46664 or downloaded the songs at 46664.com for 0.99 eurocent each, then you should NOT take this comment personally, it is not aimed at you!

And those who downloaded without paying/donating, with plans to buy the CD/DVD : sjees... is a bloody 80cts for a call or 0.99 cents for a download too much for you?!? But you DO buy CD's/DVD's like Wembley or GVH2 for 20/25 euro's....
You feel offended??? Get real mr. and mrs. Dagobert Ducks! Maybe you should
be less selfish and more generous towards charities... you CAN donate even
without getting something back...

proton

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 07:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just to let you know: I normally PAID for my songs on 46664.com , I also called (0900-4666400 in the Netherlands).
So I feel NOT offended by Brian, though his comments could have been more tactfull, but I think he wrote it in hte spur of the moment, being angry, without thinking further of the consequences of his posting.

S@turn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 621 posts

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 07:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do not think that there is reason to feel offended for us all, I find that Brians reaction is overdone, he should have thought before writing it

I can imagine that fans are hurted by his words, but I consider myself still as a queen fan
It is sad when people decide to give up their queen support because of this, I think that Queen is not the same as what Brian and Roger are doing now
I think that Queen is over, but I still love to follow the things that brian and roger are doing, tho I am not always agreeing with them!

The reactions of Brian are making me sad, yes, if he wants everyone to do just legal activities, then he is not realistic, I think, right Freddie/Proton? I am sure that one day I will find the concert in YOUR market stall, or under the table perhaps

I am not offending you or saying that you should not, I am only mentioning it because you are of course not the only one, and I think that Brian in so far is right indeed

Let us enjoy and love the things that we can get for free, and at the time that we can buy things, let us then consider if it is worth it

By the way... It is good possible to support the aids foundations without buying a dvd.. and since the dvd is not there yet.. shall we wait with supporting til then? I guess not

*off to read the QMS

Another fantastic posting of a wonderful person!

=================

all we need is internet-blog-blog, internet bla-bla

http://saturn.queenzone.com/

===

Let's make ourself better then we were befo
proton

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 07:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

since this is a concert aimed at raising money for aids charity, you'll not find it on or under my table :-)
it would mean less dvd's sold, thus less money for the charity.
I'm not thát heartless ;-)

About reality, indeed you are correct.
Brian has bootlegs himself, so he knows
what's going on in the recordmarket.
But this seems to have hurt him a lot, since a charity foundation here suffers under the bootlegging/downloading. So his reaction is explainable, though written too quickly.

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 08:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"And those who downloaded without paying/donating, with plans to buy the CD/DVD : sjees... is a bloody 80cts for a call or 0.99 cents for a download too much for you?!?"

There's no phone number available for my country and when I tried to donate with my credit card, I ended on a page-not-found site. I wanted to give it one more try a couple days ago (to download Invincible Hope) but when it told me what software I have to upgrade to be able to download/listen to the song, I gave up. I'll rather buy both the DVD and CD. The price for the song is silly, I agree, I would donate $5-$10 without hesitation but I'm not going to spend half a day trying to find out HOW to do it on the 46664.com site.

As for QMS, 700 members is a nice number but for example my Czech-only Queen list has 200 members so it's strange that such a well known worldwide list like QMS has only three times more members.

proton

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 08:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QMS: maybe they should promote more?

donations: you're excused ;-) you're willing to donate but technical are not able too. Seems a good reason to me to wait then for the CD/DVD. :-)

proton

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 09:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Lucy was high, and so was I" , you are EXACTLY the parasite Brian was talking about!

And you can also pay that 0.99 cents and donate to Aids charity without listening to that song. If you think it's crap, then just delete it. At least you'll have done something good for another human being then....

ogre t raylot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 994 posts

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 09:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do you like the taste of winalot, proton?

you seem to enjoy being BHM's lapdog.

proton

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

maybe you can explain to a dutch fan who doesn't know a 100.000 words in English what a winalot and lapdog is?

Reading your previous postings on the forum I guess this isn't positive...

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I find S@turn's words disturbing. "if he wants everyone to do just legal activities, then he is not realistic" - "and since the dvd is not there yet.. shall we wait with supporting til then? I guess not"

Not bothering to wait for a dvd/cd release? Check the website and lap up the freebies then. Or if you want to support the cause, download tracks for a price. Otherwise, stick to what it legitimate. Even the entire concert can be streamed via video or audio for FREE!

Lucy was high... - "I haven't called, donated, or anything with this 'great' project. Personally, I think it's stupid."

Shame. But you're entitled to your opinion. But don't forget that people may be downloading without bothering to give anything to the charity. It's wrong and cannot be excused.

Peace,
Adam.

ogre t raylot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 994 posts

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 09:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

try this for a clue.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=3760&dept_id=88

I would agree with 'Lucy' - If you cared to read his posting properly, you would have noted that he hasn't downloaded or heard anything from 46664 - Not the act of a parasite.

I don't need you or Brian May to tell me where to donate my money, tanx.

proton

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam, you're misunderstanding Saturn,
what he means is "shall we wait with donating till the dvd comes out, i guess not" , implying that you can donate now already even when you have to wait for the dvd and donate again by buying that dvd.

And if someone says a song is 'crap', then he knows the song and also knows how to find www.46664.com ....
Not donating because you think a song is crap is 1 of the most stupid reasons I've ever heard. Why don't you just say that your a selfish guy who likes to keep every penny for himself heh?

And never mind Ogre, from seeing previous postings I'm not doing into a debate with this guy. I'm not calling names, but you can imagine what I think of him :-)

proton

Posted: 10 Dec 03, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And if Ogre doesn't want anyone to tell him where to donate, then I hope he's not downloading the 46664 songs for free...