Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Wanna know why the video quality isn't any better on the GVH DVDs?

forum rss feed
Author

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Dec 03, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'Tis because, for the MPEG video bitrate, they have it somewhere between 5-6 Mbps, but yet, had Brian NOT insisted on using the very high-bitrate-ish DTS soundtracks, they could've put the video bitrate at the maximum of 9.8 Mbps!

The only reason the videos look good somewhat, even with the low bitrate, is that, instead of sizing it to 720x480 before unsqueezing the video to 16:9 AR widescreen when played, they used a dimension of 520x480 (or 502x480), at least on the GVH2 DVD (NTSC) (haven't checked the Fred tribute or GVH1 DVDs to see if that's the case too yet)

That annoys the hell out of me :-P

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 03, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i really don't care

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 03, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

me neither

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 03, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't have a problem with the picture quality. Looks better than my VHS tapes, So I won't complain! LOL!

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 03, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm just saying that the quality would've been slightly better if they increased the bitrates for the videos

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 03, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess the DTS thing also explains why they don't include a DD 5.1 mix for us poor unfortunate souls who bought a receiver without DTS.

And uncompressed PCM takes up some extra space too from what I understand.. so it seems Bri is more concerned with audio than video... I can't really complain about that.. first and foremost Queen is about the music :)

Jeffrey

Daburcor?

Posted: 23 Dec 03, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"it seems Bri is more concerned with audio than video..."

Which isn't ENTRELY a bad thing. ;p

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 03, 19:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank god for people like Deacon and Dan. The music comes first.

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6372 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 03, 01:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is one thing to compromise on the video bit rate as the quality is still better than VHS, but forcing a square peg into a round hole is an entirely different issue. Yes, it is about the music, but there is no rational reason for cutting off the top and bottom of the picture when a widescreen TV could have shown the entire picture (but with bars on the sides).

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18631 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 03, 11:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you guys don't care, then don't post! :P This has been talked about before. Or is it because it was Dark's topic, and you felt you needed to negate his positivity on the subject?

I think it's great there is a logical explanation about this quality issue, and it seems that Dark was the first person on the board to come up with it. Good stuff.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Daburcor?

Posted: 24 Dec 03, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This IS one of the better "GVH2" topics I must admit. :p

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 24 Dec 03, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Apt. Nice one.

Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 28 Dec 03, 20:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Funny...I'm not alone on the audio thing! A lot of my friends thought I was mad because I was looking forward to the sound quality FIRST on both volumes! (Some asked me, "But what about the quality of the videos??" I told them, "Sound first, then the pictures!")
Very good engineering, but on the second disc, the One Vision documentary simply does not compare with the Magic Years version...for more info on that, it's on another thread!

David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 29 Dec 03, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Guitar Hero, good topic, Dark. Defniately better than all that "Will you love me, ah yeah" shite.

Because the masters for GHI were strung together ala GFI, didn't Brian use a poorer quality master to get the vids on GVHI single (on there own)? Maybe this explains the bitrate for this, at a higher bitrate, the video looked poorer.

I'm not to sure what should come first :-) We already have the music in pretty good quality, so shouldn't the video take precedence, since thats the name of the release - Greatest VIDEO Hits, not Greatest Hits DVD-A. Mmmmm, interesting discussion. Personaly I think a well balanced compromise should be made between the two, and so far I think the guys have been quite successful in this....

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
QueenSite user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1191 posts

Posted: 31 Dec 03, 08:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GVI had a truly shitty picture quality, this one is a bit better but still a substandard. Watch, for example, Bowie's Best of dvd and see the difference

http://utenti.lycos.it/queensite02

Please visit my site devoted to Queen! Lots of rare pix and memorabilia featured!
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 04, 06:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

David Jones has a good point. I would have liked to see them do just a standard Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0, and leave the ratios alone, and truly get the best possible video available. Queen was always tops in the music video field, so for what is probably the definitive archive of this work, to have them in this state is a bit sad. I must retract my statement about the music mattering most, LOL

And QueenSite, the Bowie set is truly awesome. I was amazed how super the video quality was, particularly the early BBC stuff.. they must take really good care of their archives. And that one has PCM sound, but no surround mixes.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 04, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<>
Exactly, I'm happy with both sound and vision...
But if sound was really more important for Brian than the visiuals- I have to say, that's the attitude I like...!

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 03 Jan 04, 15:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I've examined the GVH2-disc1 and found the following:

1. There are 3 different audio options...
a) LPCM = 944MB (2ch)
b) DTS = 882MB (5ch)
c) AC3 = 112MB (2ch)

2. Subs take up 16MB
3. All Video = 3,334MB

Now, the total for the disc was 5,312MB. The only reason I bring this up, is because that's not much more than a 4.7GB disc. Why have they not gone for bigger 9.4GB discs? At least, this would have given the videos more quality. And probably a little more for DTS as well. Just a little food for thought.

Peace,
Adam.