Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The first time you saw......

forum rss feed
Author

Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 07:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The video for 'I'm going slightly Mad'.
What did you think?? I remember my next door neighbour ringing me cos it was on Top Of The Pops and his words were "He's got AIDS he has!" and I said "Fuck off!!" But I knew something was wrong. Then after that came the video for 'Headlong' and that just about confirmed it! Although the Slightly Mad video was filmed after Headlong. In the book for GFII it says that Headlong was filmed in May 1991, although there are pictures of it in the Feb 1991 fan club mag. I think us Queen fans that were around before Freddie died pretty much knew that he was dying but didn't want to admit it. I first had my suspisions when I saw the 'Scandal' video and then on the 'Best of the 80's' show.

Chom own mudder fukker.
Mayboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6181 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 07:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was born too late and only found queen about 4 years ago :( the first queen video i saw was "these are the days of our lives" around a mates house (that was my fav queen song at the time) so i thought he looked normal :S naive i know. Then i saw previous videos and relised the difference :( why did he decide to grow that beard, i thought that gave the impression that was hiding something he didnt want ppl to see :S Not being around at the time, when did the speculation in the press start? was it after the Miracle videos

"I'm going up Buchanan Street

With a box of fireworks

And two bottles of

Tizer"

Mr Coolest Cat user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr Coolest Cat
Bohemian: 908 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 08:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I had my suspicions that something was wrong when they did'nt tour with The Miracle, never wanted to admit that it could have been AIDS though.

There must be more to life than this.
Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 08:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie's death made me become a Queen fan, as rediculous it sounds but that's the way it is. I hadn't really heard of Queen and Freddie before he died.
The first real thing I SAW of Queen was the GFII that my mum gave me for my birthday in 1992 and since I knew that Freddie had died of aids I could tell which videos were their latest and why he looked so skinny in "Slightly Mad" and "Headlong".
I remember that I was quite shocked and really close to tears when I saw "Headlong" for the first time but what really shocked me and made me cry was the "Days Of Our Lives" video.
I still don't like to watch it.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 08:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My love for Queen started from Innuendo song, but then somehow I missed Slightly Mad one- wasn't very popular in Poland at that time....
And IMO Fred doesn't look THAT bad in Headlong video, probably because it was recorded some time before...

Flashman user not visiting Queenzone.com
Flashman
Deity: 4523 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Look at him, he's got Aids, he looks bloody awful. He's a pooftah!", was the shout from various fatheaded quarters.

"Has he heck, there's nowt up with him " came Flashy's educated retort. "He's just lost a bit of weight and he's getting on a bit, that's all! And he's no more a poof than I am."

Don't worry ladies, I was wrong on all counts.
If my foresight isn't blinkered by the bottle, it's obliterated by damned pride.
This is another one of those reasons why you should never listen to any of my tips for the 2.30 at Chepstow. Especially if the stupid flamin' donkey is called 'Norfolk Enchance'. Sixty quid on that bastard! I hope they shot it.

FLASHMAN STRIKES AGAIN!

Paul Rodgers is not the best thing since fried Fred.
Krizzy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1806 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 10:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The first time I saw that video was the late summer of 1991 at my friend's home where he had a video player from England and his cousin had recorded the video for him to take to the US.

I thought it was absolute brilliant and very amusing. But I knew something was wrong with FM. My friend who knew him as an aquaintence said he must be sick since he wasn't seen much in public or at parties, etc.

I remember asking him if he thought FM had AIDS, my friend without missing a beat he said "He must, you cannot live life to extreme the way he did and not have something, he looks sick and it's a bloody shame."

Kriz ;o)

Long Live Queen!!!
CatGurl14 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3538 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 11:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think when I first saw it (late coming fan here, like became one only 4 years ago) I thought Freddie looked very ill and I really thought the guys had an interesting sense of humour that I really wanted to find out about. :)

"If you break down, I will remind you ooooh of what you were yesterday.

You can break down, I'll be behind you every day by day."
FreddiesGhettoTrench user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1624 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I didn't see it until last year. My first thought was...

"Okkayyyy...
Brian dressed up as a PENGUIN???
Freddie looks weird.
Well it makes sense.
Brian... a penguin???"

"Brian May, Freddie will."
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Flash, I've read and reread your post so many times, and I still have no idea what you've said.

Please translate from English to American?

Flashman

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 15:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It had something to do with me being rather super Lester, you old rogue.

FLASHMAN STRIKES AGAIN!

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 15:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, that's a given.

Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Flash, I've read and reread your post so many times, and I still have no idea what you've said"

LOL, and I thought I was the only one so I thought I better shut up...

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Flashman

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very well you crazy foreigners, seeing as you obviously don't have schools in your God foresaken neck of the woods. Honestly the things I do for dumbos. Should be a medal in it for me.

>"Look at him, he's got Aids, he looks bloody awful. He's a pooftah!", was the shout from various fatheaded quarters.

*TRANSLATION:* "Freddie Mercury looks rather peaky. I fear he has the pox or some such. He is also one of those homosexual perverts, no doubt!" volumised some local ne'er do wells.

>"Has he heck, there's nowt up with him " came Flashy's educated retort. "He's just lost a bit of weight and he's getting on a bit, that's all! And he's no more a poof than I am."

*TRANSLATION*: "I beg to differ - he is in remarkably fine fettle for a chap of his advancing years " said the wonderful and ever gorgeous Flashman, " 'Tis no more than the passage of time. And if he's homosexual than I must also be one who burgles turds."

>Don't worry ladies, I was wrong on all counts.
If my foresight isn't blinkered by the bottle, it's obliterated by damned pride.
This is another one of those reasons why you should never listen to any of my tips for the 2.30 at Chepstow. Especially if the stupid flamin' donkey is called 'Norfolk Enchance'. Sixty quid on that bastard! I hope they shot it.

*TRANSLATION*: If Flashy says stick the lot on red, then it's definitely coming home where black is concerned.

Next week, I'll explain why cows look forward to being milked.

FLASHMAN STRIKES AGAIN!

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Much thanks, Flashy. You're still super, no doubt about it.

*the Time Guardian* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3379 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 16:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw this forst about 3 or 4 years ago. My first thought was something like "It's kinda creepy..."

TIMELESS
SallyJ. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 689 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 16:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First time I saw it was when it was released. It was quite obvious that something was going on, and that they were trying to hide (protect, as we learned later on) something.
I found it quite shocking to see Freddie. That big wig and all that make-up was not hiding the fact that Freddie had lost weight and that he was ill. And the others look worried, or what's the word, look at their eyes and you'll see what I mean.
Up until then I still had hopes that maybe the rumours of him being infected with AIDS were not true and that they were perhaps going to split up. After all, the lyrics on Innuendo (and what a suiting title for that album) do tell you something about what's ahead but can be interpreted in so many different ways.
I do like this video a lot, although with mixed feelings.

Mayboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6181 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL Flashy although i totally understood the post the translation was better still :D

"I'm going up Buchanan Street

With a box of fireworks

And two bottles of

Tizer"

Robin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Robin
Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As soon as I saw it I knew he had aids. He had that look and no makeup could hide it. :(

Robin

Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 21:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie was still alive when I first saw the video. For some strange reason, I could see the 70s Freddie in his character, especially the gestures, and I was very delighted by that, but saw how extremely thin he was, and the fact he was wearing gloves. I loved the whole concept of the video, it has "Freddie" written all over it, very over the top and fun to view. Only later when I read how much pain he was enduring through the whole thing made me wince, but it made me marvel again at what a true performer he really was, almost right up until the very end of his life. I haven't heard of any other performer before or since that accomplished that feat -- have you??