Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Highlander

forum rss feed
Author

queenrocks! 10902 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 455 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi, i was wondering did anyone watch Highlander on BBC ONE Friday night? I thought it was an O.K film but it was slightly dull in some parts(this is my opinion all right?,NO COMPLAINTS!) On the film there was a song that i have never heard of. Do you know where Kurgan drives this girl from the police over the bridge well I don't know what the song was called but the words said New York. Also did you know there was Highlander:End Game? Infact this film was made three years ago and was on BBC ONE on Saturday night. I thought it wasn't as good as the first one. What do you think of Highlander? LET ME KNOW!

I'm just a musical prostitute my dear!

FREDDIE MERCURY 1984
MexQueenFM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 13266 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 13:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

there's more than two highlander films, i think, and i will have to say i didn't like highlander that much, it's an ok film, but great soundtrack !!! :D

Mejor yo me hecho una chela, y chance enchufo una chava, chambeando de chafirete, me sobra chupe y pachanga

Tranzando de arriba a abajo, hay va la chilanga banda , chinchin si me la recuerdan
David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, first time I've ever seen it! Not to bad, it didn't get going until about 12 o'clock though! Then it started to make sense - but theres still alot not revealed! Weird in several places, overall not a bad film, not my usual type, but an enjoyable watch, especially with its great soundtrack!

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
Banquo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Banquo
Deity: 2636 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The song is New York, New York if I'm correct though it could be Gimme The Prize I haven't seen Highlander for ages. I only see bits of it on QTV at the convention.

Guess who's back?
Les user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 125 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The song is a combination of the instrumental techno tune "A Dozen Red Roses For My Darling" by Queen, and the song "New York, New York."

Roll roll roll a fag gently down the road, find a flame and spark it up and sell it to a friend!
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Highlander is a classic. Everything else after is shit.

Chom own mudder fukker.
Sir Archie 'Tiffany' Leach user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1331 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do have a soft spot for Highlander, a cracker.

All crap films are now rated against Highlander 3, very few are worse!

As for Highlander End Game, thank God for pointless sex scene or else that would have been a waste of an hour and a half. Connor McLeod now dead so surely no more????

Nancy Astor : "If I were your wife I would put poison in your coffee".

Winston Churchill : "And if I were your husband I would drink it".
Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 20:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When Highlander came out, the only real reason I wanted to see it was because the music was by Queen! Same with Flash Gordon, though I actually like Dino DiLaurentiis' films (King Kong really made me laugh).
Tim Burton should wise up and use some Queen music in his films...they would be much more interesting!

Kuku user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 04, 21:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually went to Rogers (I live in Canada) to rent Highlander... Sean Connery was good, Chris Rambert was so-so, and the rest were... odd. Well, to begin with, the only reason I rented it was because it had Queen music. It felt more like an extensive Queen music video than a movie for some reason. I haven't watched Highlander 2-4, but the plot was not too smooth, in my opinion. There were some good moments, but the actions were rather awkward, and the violence had no finesse to it. Connery really shone as the only good actor... and the woman (I don't know her name) was also quite amusing.

Well, this would be probably because I LOVE all the songs in that movie... was so absorbed to find more of them.

New York New York in the movie was quite different from the soft-voiced, early-rock-style NYNY I had. Perhaps a later version??

Goodbye April lady, It's been good to have you around - Goodbye April lady, You've done a lot for the folks in this town...
Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 217 posts

Posted: 13 Jan 04, 01:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Have a look at this page to see the mistakes that are made in the movie. Quite funny to watch the movie again with these things in mind. It's still a good movie though!

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film612

My trading site: http://rhye.atspace.com
dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 13 Jan 04, 03:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thought it was a bit boring. The music was the only reason I wathed it. It was fun picking out strategically placed Queen songs (like Hammer to Fall in the car).

New York, New York was a cover, done famously by Frank Sinatra, I believe. Very well known.

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.
Kickforce user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 283 posts

Posted: 13 Jan 04, 04:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Without the music of Queen the film would have been less interesting...the music makes the movie. It has got a interesting story-line..

Spisso user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 916 posts

Posted: 13 Jan 04, 08:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agree with Kickforce

"Teo Torriatte Konomama Iko

Aisurhito Io

Shizukana Yoi Ni

Hikario Tomoshi

Itoshiki Oshieo Idaki"
Daz85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1802 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 04, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope Brian does work on a 'proper' version of the Highlander soundtrack soon...

My guess is that it would end up as a bonus disc to the 'new' DVD addition the US got 2 years ago, but which we never did.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 04, 18:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Part 1 is alright, part 2 sucks, part 3 is terrible, part 4 is somewhere between 2 and 2

even part 3 is better then Flash Gordon!

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Kuku user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 04, 19:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You are so right, Friedchicken... hahaha. Listening to Flash Gordon soundtrack is very misleading... It makes you think that perhaps the movie would be half as good as the album. -_-;

Goodbye April lady, It's been good to have you around - Goodbye April lady, You've done a lot for the folks in this town...
Bohemian Queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 147 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 04, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i thought hylander was sweet i loved it but i thought the second one was a bit to far fetched. i love princes of the universe that song i cool!

my fairy king is freddie!
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 04, 13:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like the first Highlander movie a lot and I kinda like the other ones too, but I don't really get the idea. It seems like thoise movies don't have much in common, except the main character. In Part 2 McLeod is old and mortal and in Part 3 young and immortal again. He is still immortal in Part 4, but looks much older than in Part 1 ;-)

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Bohemian Queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 147 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 04, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

since we first mentioned this i have watched it bout6 times and my fav songs are prices of the universe and gimmie the prize

my fairy king is freddie!
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 04, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

heh, Kurgans' sword makes no sense! NONE AT ALL!

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!