Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Radio Gaga

forum rss feed
Author

Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1058 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jan 04, 07:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can you believe it's 20 years since Radio Gaga was released?

It was a pretty important time for Queen. After the lacklustre reception of Hot Space and no releases in 1983, if Radio Gaga flopped it really could have been the end.

Imagine my relief and joy when it came into the UK charts at No. 4 - they were back! The rest you know!

PS - before the single was released, one of my classmates at college said he'd heard it. I said 'what, Radio Gaga?' and he said 'no, on Radio Nova'.

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"
Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 04, 09:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You mean I've been doing the clapclap for TWENTY years now? AGH! I feel so bloody OLD!!!!

nazila queena user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 95 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 04, 10:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ohhhh.....Radio ga ga is 20 years old & i'm 20 years old too!!!!!!

Life is much too short to while away with tears!

keep passing the open windows.
Krizzy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1806 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 04, 10:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OMG! ***Feels old*** and my b-day just a week away. Curse you Father Time! ***Krizzy runs off to check for wrinkles***

:o(

Long Live Queen!!!
ogre t raylot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 994 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 04, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How time flies - I remember tuning into the Peter Powell show on Radio 1 and listening to it's first radio airing on his regular 'five 45's at 5:45' feature.

seems like only yesterday....

Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 04, 10:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Radio Gaga was the first video I saw by Queen. Actually, I think it was the first Queen song I had heard by then. I was 9. When I saw the video that is, not when it was released. So it must have been in 1990.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 04, 11:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Radio ga ga is 20 years old & i'm 20 years old too!!!!!!"

*whine* Wish I were 20 again -- wait, that would mean Freddie would be alive and Queen would be off on another tour..
I love the movie Metropolis (the original and Giorgio Moroder versions)
and thought the video made good use of some of the footage from the movie...very George Orwell, considering the year was 1984! (Good Bowie song too!)

Mayboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6181 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 04, 11:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

:0 i never relised, my fav video too :)

"I'm going up Buchanan Street

With a box of fireworks

And two bottles of

Tizer"

MexQueenFM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 13266 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 04, 12:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cool :)

20 yrs ago huh? how time flies

Mejor yo me hecho una chela, y chance enchufo una chava, chambeando de chafirete, me sobra chupe y pachanga

Tranzando de arriba a abajo, hay va la chilanga banda , chinchin si me la recuerdan
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 04, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep. I posted about this over at QOL last night. Didn't want to post the exact same thing here so I'm glad someone else did.

It's making me feel quite old too, as I've mentioned here many times, it was released on my 13th birthday, making me the big 33 today :-/

It's my mom's favorite Queen song... I think a lot of people identify with the love of the radio as a teen.

The funny thing I just realized is that the message about radio being made somewhat obsolete by video, is now sort of the fate of video, specifically MTV itself.

I mean, the big music video channels hardly show videos anymore! All we see is Video Ga Ga!

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 04, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I honestly...don't like this song :P

Mr Coolest Cat user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr Coolest Cat
Bohemian: 908 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 04, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember GaGa being at No2 the day i got married.

There must be more to life than this.
Wayne Gretzky user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 04, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only Queen single to reach number 1 here in Sweden...

Don't run into the long grass!
PD. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 04, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember in 1989 I had been into Queen for three years when I first heard the Works album and finally figured out that these familiar-from-the-radio songs (Gaga, Breakfree, Hammerfall) are also from Queen. It was a nice surprise.

Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 04, 01:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Wish I were 20 again -- wait, that would mean Freddie would be alive and Queen would be off on another tour.."

Lisa, how I wish I was 20 back then!!! At least you saw them while they were still the full complete Queen! I am jealous. ;-)

Barry, I like the video, too but the song bores me to death by now. I used to like it but I've listened to it too often.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 04, 02:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Apologies for the over-sentimentality of the rest of this message, which I can only blame on the effects of mixing Siera Nevada Pale Ale with Kona Golden...

I saw the video on The Tube on Friday night some 20 years ago and I remember being disappointed having been promised some "heavier stuff" or some "traditional Queen" in the wake of Hot Space. The following Tuesday I bought the 7 & 12 inch versions, wondering if "I Go Crazy" was the best they could come up with. When The Game came out, I wasn't terribly impressed (I'm still not) - the band who once made songs like Ogre Battle and It's Late were now churning out mid-Atlantic pop like Keep Passing the Open Windows. Perversely, as the quality of their music declined, their popularity in Europe went through the roof. There's really two versions of Queen - before and after Hot Space. Virtually nothing they did after The Game (or perhaps Flash Gordon) was as good as earlier material.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 04, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree that there seems to be at least two Queens. Sometimes when I listen to one of the early albums I sit there and think "how the hell can this be the same band that did Body Language"?

I'm just not so sure of exactly when the splice took place, if there was one. I like to think of it more as an evolution.. but not strictly from one form to another.. but to a more open form, capable of a wider variety of sounds.

I still hear echoes of early work in some of the later stuff.. it's just that there is more variety now, as well as natural changes to suit the times.

And I do see 'The Works' as a perfect example of that. Even a bit of Hot Space. I think had the sides been swapped, and the album not kicked off with 'Staying Power', it wouldn't have been so hated. Side two would have better gradually prepared folks for side one I think :)

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 04, 02:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have a theory (or a moment of lucidity) - before Hot space every album was made by the band for the band. They made little effort to "give the fans what they want" (even if ADATR is a clone of ANATO.) But The Works was a "win back the fans" album, and when a band starts second guessing themselves like that then it's all downhill from there. Plus they got old and it's a rare band that produces better work in their middle-aged years than when they have the "fuck you" attitude of youth.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Spisso user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 916 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 04, 05:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, but i still like Radio Ga Ga a lot.

"Teo Torriatte Konomama Iko

Aisurhito Io

Shizukana Yoi Ni

Hikario Tomoshi

Itoshiki Oshieo Idaki"
Mr Coolest Cat user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr Coolest Cat
Bohemian: 908 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 04, 07:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly yes you sure have lost it, the songs Queen put on their early albums were for the fans, classics that will stay with us for ever, later in the eighties, then they make albums for themselves, very commercialized to reap in the cash that their early albums pathed the way for, and there is nothing wrong with that, the hard work, endless touring, month after month in the studio, they believed in themselves and so did we.

There must be more to life than this.