Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > WHY IS WEMBLEY GIG SO OVERRATED...?

forum rss feed
Author

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Exactly, WHY??!!
It wasn't that good AT ALL
Why is it, then...?

MexQueenFM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 13266 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

er, because lots of people like it? and it was a great performance? their second to last ever performance?, i dunno why dude!

Mejor yo me hecho una chela, y chance enchufo una chava, chambeando de chafirete, me sobra chupe y pachanga

Tranzando de arriba a abajo, hay va la chilanga banda , chinchin si me la recuerdan
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So what was the big problem with it, I was there and it seemed fine to me, in fact it was the best one I attended.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
ogre t raylot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 994 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 12:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

because it's the one that most people have seen.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 12:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IMO the sound was the best I'd ever heard live at that point, you could hear everything very clearly and there was a fantastic vibe on the day.

Which is more than you could say for Milton Keynes, because the sound was pretty bad at certain points, and the Wembley arena concerts, well you never get a good sound in that hole

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Wayne Gretzky user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think it's overrated at all. A overrated concert is the Knebworth gig.

Don't run into the long grass!
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 12:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that YOU ARE THE PROBLEM, Fenderek.

I don't see anything wrong with the Wembley show and I doubt most people have a problem with it. Hence why almost everybody here has that 'Live at Wembley DVD'.

Due to all the aspects of production of the show including the preservation of sound and picture quality, Wembley has been the most commercialized of all of Queen's gigs.
Perhaps when it comes to Queen's performance I'd say that Budapest 86 was the best. Others would tell you that Milton Keynes 82, or Houston 77 were their best shows ever, but I doubt anyone else here would say that they didn't enjoy the Wembley show at all. Even if it's not their favorite.

You're too overly critical of most of the things Queen did. Including those that most people here seem to have enjoyed. At least have to proove your point by saying what's exactly wrong with the Wembley gig.
Maybe you should spend more time at message boards for other bands, because now that I think of it, you're not exactly a Queen fan.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mex - it wasn't next to last, there were about a dozen after it.

People like what they can see. They can see Wembley. That's partly why Wembley won that poll - only the hardcore had seen Milton Keynes/Earl's Court/Hammersmith, but Wembley is on every Xmas

MexQueenFM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 13266 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oh, thanks for clearing that P_G

Mejor yo me hecho una chela, y chance enchufo una chava, chambeando de chafirete, me sobra chupe y pachanga

Tranzando de arriba a abajo, hay va la chilanga banda , chinchin si me la recuerdan
Robin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Robin
Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think it's over rated at all. It's a great concert with lots of wonderful extra's.

Robin

Ms.Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 470 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it's a good concert, but not one of my favs. i wish other queen concerts were given as much attention as wembley gets...and yeah ppl do like it more since you can pick it up at any local wal-mart as compared to the harder to get concerts...

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wembley gig... Overrated?! Not in MY book. ;)

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I haven't seen another concert so I can't tell.
But I guess it's not just the concert itself or how Queen did the show.
But it was Wembley, legendary stadium, London - home town of Queen, 2 nights in a row...
I guess all that makes Wembley so special. Not just for fans but also for the band members themselves. Like Brian said in the interview on the Wembely DVD, that playing at home is always different and special.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 15:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the playing was great that evening, but Freddies voice wasn't in top shape that evening, I think his voice was much better in Budapest

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its a great gig, but I think that the Budapest gig was much better.

Chom own mudder fukker.
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 15:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love every minute of the Wembley concert and I am still getting used to the new DVD with all the previously edited material. I wore out 2 VHS tapes until I learned to make a digital copy of my 3rd tape. I bought the Brazilian DVD and now finally the official DVD in all its glory. You can criticise Freddie's voice but it's live, so what, it's still a breathtaking performance.

I do not want any google ads here.

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 15:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For years I've wondered about this. I've had the 80 minute version on tape, and now the full show on DVD. I keep asking myself.. should I enjoy this? Is it overrated? What will everyone think if I like it? I cannot rest until I know for sure that it's okay to enjoy this show.

OMG, you are so right! I didn't realize it until you said so, but it is way overrated and we should all burn our copies and never speak of it again! Thanks for showing us the truth man!

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 15:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fenderek is talking strictly from a performance point of view. If you've listened intently to many other bootlegs from the tour, and you've got a good musical ear, you'll realize that the second night at Wembley was actually the worst performance of the entire tour.

Freddie's voice was cracking a lot on the higher notes (which still weren't his highest for most shows on the tour), so he couldn't sustain them well as a result. Also, Brian was missing guitar cues all over the place. They knew they were being filmed for a later release, so the nerves kicked in, and at times it really shows.

Don't get me wrong, there are still many incredible moments during this show, but from a performance point of view, Knebworth, Budapest, both nights in Leiden, and the first night at Wembley all put the second Wembley night to shame.

Simply put, unless people have heard other complete concerts from the tour, then they really can't put in their two cents, as this topic is about the PERFORMANCE, not the QUALITY. If you've only seen/heard one or two shows from the tour, of course 7-12-86 is going to seem great! It is, but not as great as the others.

Fenderek is an honest fan, and he's judging this purely on the band's performance. In doing that, he is the antithesis of the word Stepford. Good stuff, Fenderek.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Mayboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6181 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wembley is just a fantastic show, they were at their peak and it showed a true kind of magic :D

"I'm going up Buchanan Street

With a box of fireworks

And two bottles of

Tizer"

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 16:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have heard a lot of Magic Tour shows in their best quality and I saw what we have from Knebworth, Budapest, Vienna, Manchester, Paris, Newcastle and Dublin, so I think I can voice an opinion. From all the shows I saw/heard Wembley is surely not the best performance but it's still a great concert and I simply enjoy watching it. But even if I had never seen another Queen concert it would be okay to enjoy Wembley. I don't need to rate shows and records all the time in terms of which is the best or worst single, album, concert etc. Maybe Fenderek, Bob and Niek are right when they say Wembley was not so good as so many other Magic Tour shows but it's the only one we have in excellent quality and complete, so forgive me when I just love to watch it:-)

I do not want any google ads here.