Forums > Personal > And the Oscars get worse...

forum rss feed
Author

geeksandgeeks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4296 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 21:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NO! I just looked up the Oscar nominees, and - they SUCK!

How, how can they snub Big Fish like this!? That was one of the best frickin' movies I've seen in a long time! I mean, Cold Mountain and LOTR were all right, but movies just need to be crammed into a finite amount of time, even if they are epics.

Not to mention, where do they get off, nominating two Sting songs for best song of the year? He's not a bad guy, but there were worthier candidates! Where the f--- is Man of the Hour, I ask you?

The Oscars are going down the tubes. It's over!

God wants you to send me some money.

"Seven spades doubled, vulnerable, making seven? You BITCH."
Saffron Caribou user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2326 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 21:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was very surprised that Lost In Translation wasn't nominated for Best Picture :(

Master and Commander?! Hmmmm it was good, but not that good. Still Oscar buffs love that stuff.

I predict a clean sweep for LOTR.

As far for Best Actress the Johanseen chick got SNUBBED!

I havent seen Big Fish Mandy, so I cannot say about that one.

When you open your heart to a smooth operator...
MexQueenFM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 13266 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 21:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i'm glad LOTR is there, that's it

Mejor yo me hecho una chela, y chance enchufo una chava, chambeando de chafirete, me sobra chupe y pachanga

Tranzando de arriba a abajo, hay va la chilanga banda , chinchin si me la recuerdan

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 22:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lost in Translation was nominated, Shoujo.

*fumes*...if anyone deserves an Oscar this year, it's Tim Burton. Oh, and did I mention that Man of the f--kin' Hour should have won the Golden Globe? Yeah, i probably mentioned it about 18 times...

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not fair... Gigli was snubbed.

Oh wait, there's the Razzies noms... YAAAAAYY!!

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 22:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'Lord Of The Rings' and Peter Jackson deserve the Oscars more than any other movie this year.

Hopefully this will be it.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Saffron Caribou user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2326 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 04, 22:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh really then Mandy! I'm happy :D

When you open your heart to a smooth operator...
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 01:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Oscars - voters made of a few thousand young movie people, old movie people, and older movie people

The Golden Globes - made up of 90 foreign "journalists"

The GG have always been a joke, and it's in their best interest to nominate stars, simply to attract attention. They do usually award some fringe show or movie (The Office this year, Alias and 24 both won in their first year on TV), in order to appear "hip."

The Oscars try to remain above it all, but are becoming more of a financial contest. I stopped paying attention to them a few years ago. Do we really need some academy to tell us what is a good movie and what isn't?

And to be fair, Finding Nemo was nominated for Best Animated Film, a catagory created a few years back. There has only been one animated film ever nominated for Best Picture (Beauty and the Beast) and with this new catagory, it's doubtful it will ever happen again.

DJ's the man we love the most
dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 03:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was pleased to see that Keisha Castle-Hughes got nominated for best actress.
For those that haven't seen Whale Rider, see it!!! Then buy it and bring in money for New Zealand!

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 04:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Russell Crowe didn't get a nomination.

Fuck the Oscars!

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Plengel user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2119 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 04:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also a Dutch movie was nominated for an Oscar, the Oscar for non-English spoken movie. "De Tweeling" (The Twins) It was filmed after a book with the same title. I didn't actually saw the movie, but I read the book which was pretty good. The movie got a lot of positive feedback here in The Netherlands and also in other European countries, so I give it a good chance :)

I also hope that it will be a complete walk-over for "The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King"

You've never seen nothing like it, no never in your life. Like going up to heaven and then coming back alive.

http://plengelqueentrader.tripod.com
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 04:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think "Return Of The King" deserves every award it's up for. It truly is a great movie! :D

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 08:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<< Russell Crowe didn't get a nomination.

Fuck the Oscars! >>

That was actually one of the best things about the actor nominations.

Rusell Crowe should spend his Oscar night going to a night club where he can pick a fight with someone.

Under Pressure user not visiting Queenzone.com
Under Pressure
Bohemian: 989 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Return of the King doesn't deserve most of those nominations. But it's all politics. I wanted Big Fish to win something, but it won't. Return of the King WILL be the Best Picture, despite the fact that it's really NOT the best picture. And it got nominated for Film Editing -- and it has the worst editing job of any movie I remember ever seeing.

I don't know if I'll watch this year -- I'm really sick of all the politics.

"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." - FM

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Return of the King was a well-acted, well-filmes, well-written, very entertaining movie.

That said, it should not win Best Picture. That nod should go to Mystic River. Sorry, but movies should be crammed into a finite amount of time. Same description goes for Cold Mountain.

I was very please to see Keisha Castle-Hughes's name in there - she did an excellent job.

mrs_groucho user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 158 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am trying to work out why "X-men 2: X-men United" was not nominated for a damn thing...

Love and Alan Cumming is cute...but that Wolverine...hubba hubba,
Mrs. G

I'm gonna make a mistake

I'm gonna do it on purpose

I'm gonna waste my time

'Cause I'm full as a tick

And I'm scratching at the surface

And what I find is mine ~F. Apple
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 15:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"<< Russell Crowe didn't get a nomination.

Fuck the Oscars! >>

That was actually one of the best things about the actor nominations.

Rusell Crowe should spend his Oscar night going to a night club where he can pick a fight with someone."

That is exactly what is the problem with most people. It doesn't matter what he does with his life, it doesn't matter who he fights with, it doesn't matter who he fucks. He is an actor and made a really outstanding performance in Master & Commander (which got 10 nominations).

Queen fans always say that it doesn't matter if you fuck men as long as you are a great musicion (like Freddie was). I say the same thing about actors. Russell can do whatever he wants in his spare time, but when he acts he does it with all his heart.

Btw, why the hell did Johnny Depp get a nomination for Pirates of the Carribian?

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Queen fans always say that it doesn't matter if you fuck men as long as you are a great musicion (like Freddie was)."

What?

I agreed with most everything else you wrote, then I read that rather eggheaded statement. Crowe is an excellent actor who doesn't play the media game, thus getting a negative reputation. But why must you constantly portray homosexuality as a negative thing?

DJ's the man we love the most
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 16:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<< Return of the King doesn't deserve most of those nominations. But it's all politics. I wanted Big Fish to win something, but it won't. Return of the King WILL be the Best Picture, despite the fact that it's really NOT the best picture. And it got nominated for Film Editing -- and it has the worst editing job of any movie I remember ever seeing. >>

Jealous?

My respects to Tim Burton for being such a fine director, but this is not his year. Peter Jackson and everybody who worked on the production of 'Lord Of The Rings' more than deserve those nominations.

I agree that 'Big Fish' should have been at least nominated for best picture, as well as 'City Of God'.

Margo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 611 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 17:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol... big fish was one really funny movie....

Whale rider was good too- that actress (forget her name already) did a really good job.

and as for LOTR, that was a very well made movie, and I'm glad that it got nominated and will (most likely) sweep the Oscars. However, I AM sad that Eddie Vedder's song for Big Fish didn't get nominated. :( oh well.

Like c.elegans except bigger and more tasty.