forum rss feed
Author

Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 04:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

January 27, 2004
©Associated Press

London, England – Frizzy haired Brian May, one time guitarist and current soft drink pusher, was taken by surprise when he was told of the vitriolic response by Queen fans towards the new Pepsi ad featuring three of today's pop music icons, Britney Spears, Beyonce and Pink - why? Because they're singing Queen's signature tune "We Will Rock You."

"I don't see what the big deal is, to be honest" says May. "We sold out way back in 1982 on our 'Hot Space' album. As a band, we decided that we needed to suck the black community dry of their money by copping their tunes. I guess looking back it wasn't the greatest idea ever. Turns out a gay singer and a clog wearing guitarist wasn't what the funk/R&B fans were looking for."

However some 22 years later, the remaining band members seem to think they've learned from their past mistakes. "Oh yeah, on 'Hot Space' we were basically relying on the musical merits of those songs to sell it" says Roger Taylor, Queen's photophobic drummer. "Now all we need is to latch onto not one, not two, but three of the most popular singers around, licence them the rights to a 27 year old song, play dress up and watch the money roll in! My god, we didn't have to do anything for it! If we had known this all those years ago, we'd have closed up shop and sold our catalog to Michael Jackson. I mean he REALLY knows how to match up the right song with the right product. 'Revolution' and sneakers, bloody brilliant!"

The new Pepsi ad comes in the wake of the brilliant collaborations in recent years with the talented boy band 5ive. When asked about that duet (which once again used "We Will Rock You") making a "worst songs" list in the UK, May responds "Well, it's keeping us in the public eye isn't it?"

Jim Beach, who has been the band's manager for a few decades notes that "We're making more money now then we did when Freddie died. If you think death equals skyrocketing album sales, you've never whored yourself to major corporations before."

Beach also divulges details on future Queen releases – "Our musical, which has been a huge success in the UK and Australia will soon be opening in Finland, North Korea and (hopefully) China, though China allowing it to play there will depend heavily upon Brian and Roger publically championing communism....well, there are billions of potential consumers in China so that's a distinct possibility."

Queen's continued dominance of the marketplace also extends into the realm of DVD as their famous Wembley concert and two collections of their music videos all went to #1 on the charts. "See, we are following the basic business model of the major movie studios. Most of our DVDs feature grainy, washed out images, not to mention half of the picture being chopped off, but we know full well of the demand for Queen DVDs. Our fans will buy anything. In a few years, we will re-release them with brand new, high definition transfers and present them in full screen all so people will have to buy them again. Never do it right the first time because you can always sucker them for twice the money down the line. Thanks to 20th Century FOX for that one!"

A few years back, a collection of Freddie Mercury's solo work was released as a box set but notably absent were his duets with famed baby poker Michael Jackson. Brian May's only response? "We'll wait for the trial before deciding on releasing them. Oh, not to see if he's guilty or not, that hardly matters. We'd just rather wait for the media hype to reach a fever pitch. Jim Beach has a solid business mind you know."

Finally, one question that keeps coming from Queen fans is when will the box sets of rare material ever be released. "We'd love to do them. Our marketing research shows that with Pepsi backing us, public interest in Queen is sky high" says Taylor but before he continues, a noticeable grimace surfaces. "but we no longer have those tapes." When asked where they might be Taylor ca

RMT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 621 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 04:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brilliant!

"Tangerine wishes, rainbows that colour the love parade"
Kickforce user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 283 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 05:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed brilliant!

"Never do it right the first time because you can always sucker them for twice the money down the line. Thanks to 20th Century FOX for that one!"

siljeoen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1313 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 05:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

:D

Queen Rules-Rock On!!!

...I`m Lord of all Darkness,I`m Queen of the night...
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 06:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You should make a poll about the Pepsi commercial, Michael :-)

I do not want any google ads here.

ogre t raylot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 994 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 06:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All too accurate to be funny.

wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 06:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

post of the year =-)

MY GOD spell it write.
Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 07:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're a baaad boy, Michael, baaaad boy! ;)

Keep Passing the Open Windows
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 07:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hilarious:D

Brian's sweet sister user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 311 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 07:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

frizzy haired?
The cheek of it!!! He is curly! :p

"Take me to the room where the reds all red take me outta my head, that's what I said"
rhapsody__87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 971 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 07:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wow!!! i thought that was REAL!

i'm very gullible haha... good job. :)

...Erica*

"I don't judge others. I say if you feel good with what you're doing, let your freak flag fly."

--Sarah Jessica Parker
Brian's sweet sister user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 311 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 07:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

meh

"Take me to the room where the reds all red take me outta my head, that's what I said"
Hitman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2217 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you should work as journalist

Anything too stupid to be said... is sung.
Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1059 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Exactly - it could almost have been real!

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 08:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For once I thought it was real.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Lawyeris user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 9082 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 09:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Superb!!!!!!
Post of the year??????? No, no - I'd say post of the whole decade:);):)

Lithuania
FairyQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 353 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wholy crap...I thought that was real...I was about to burn my Queen albums for a moment there... ;-)

"A man's private thought can never be a lie; what he thinks, is to him the truth, always." - Mark Twain

Visit my band's site at:

senecafalls.crystalflare.com

Antici...pation user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 81 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol... that was great XD

Love me, that's all I ask of you
MexQueenFM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 13266 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL!!!

Mejor yo me hecho una chela, y chance enchufo una chava, chambeando de chafirete, me sobra chupe y pachanga

Tranzando de arriba a abajo, hay va la chilanga banda , chinchin si me la recuerdan
Josuè user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1970 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 04, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you people always scare me with those essays! I first think they're true!

lol!

An interview? Oh, don't be ridiculous...