Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Can Anyone Settle This Argument About The Meaning Of...

forum rss feed
Author

rhapsody__87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 971 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jan 04, 17:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohemian Rhapsody.

I'm sure this is a tired topic, but some idiot guy in my English class keeps saying that Bo Rhap is about the devil.

...Which it's not!

Right? I always interpreted it as muuuch different then that.

It's kind of annoying, too, when people claim they're HUGE Queen fans, yet they've only listened to the first Greatest Hits albums. Please. :-
Oh, by the way... I'm Erica, I'm almost 17 and I'm new here. Thought I'd say hi! :)

...Erica*

"I don't judge others. I say if you feel good with what you're doing, let your freak flag fly."

--Sarah Jessica Parker
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 04, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohemian Rhapsody isn't about anything at all, Since it's made of 3 totally different songs, The intro, the ballad, and the rock part were supposed to be 3 totally different songs (Useless trivia: The intro of Bohemian Rhapsody was written by Freddie and one of his Wreckage bandmates, as a chorus for one of their songs)

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)

Posted: 29 Jan 04, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's really interesting! Well... it worked... a song about nothing really because it's so successful.

This is why we love Freddie!

...Erica*

"I don't judge others. I say if you feel good with what you're doing, let your freak flag fly."

--Sarah Jessica Parker
Virtuoso user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 806 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 04, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Everybody has their own intepretations,that what's cool about it.Freddie never really said what the song was about,it was more of a personnel thing,you know.What's so great about it is you can associated with any events or emotions(more or less)troughout your life.I think that it's neat in a way that he (or they)kept it a mystery.

When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power,The World Will Know Peace
Flashman user not visiting Queenzone.com
Flashman
Deity: 4523 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 04, 17:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's about a tired old wizard and his unquenchable addiction to steak and kidney pies.

FLASHMAN STRIKES AGAIN!

Paul Rodgers is not the best thing since fried Fred.

Posted: 29 Jan 04, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<>

Err... rriiiight! Haha... I wouldn't mind a steak right now though.

...Erica*

--Sarah Jessica Parker
Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 04, 19:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was never keen on any "deep meaning" to Bo Rhap -- all I know is that what attracted me to the song was that it was different from anything I'd ever heard before, and the sound of Freddie's voice from the first few bars was and still is heaven...

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 04, 19:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember someone on this board argue that the song could have been about Freddie's "coming out". Cant remember who it was by though.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."

Posted: 29 Jan 04, 19:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<>

That's what I interpreted it to be! It makes sense though if you REALLY read the lyrics, right??

...Erica*

--Sarah Jessica Parker
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 04, 22:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pfft, Bohemian Rhapsody..reallllllllly good song.

No.. really. It is. I'm listening to it now.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 04, 22:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Except that I think he was still into the ladies at that point, wasn't he?

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.

Posted: 29 Jan 04, 22:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<>

I dunno! When I saw that Freddie Mercury documentary (The Untold Story) on Trio in October, Mary said something about when they were together in the 70's, he finally realized that he liked men not women. But I think the Bo Rhap time was when he was with Mary.

... OR I could definitely be talking out of my ass. Which I probably am. Someone correct me, please? haha :)

...Erica*

--Sarah Jessica Parker
MexQueenFM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 13266 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 04, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

according to Mary he went the gay way in the Sheer Heart Attack Album, so Bo Rhap was written after that

Mejor yo me hecho una chela, y chance enchufo una chava, chambeando de chafirete, me sobra chupe y pachanga

Tranzando de arriba a abajo, hay va la chilanga banda , chinchin si me la recuerdan
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 04, 06:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can open worms everywhere!

Well I guess we will never know, however I personally find it difficult to imagine that he had no meaning in mind during the final composition, and a lot of evidence does point to effectively telling his Mother he was Gay, but then again it could well turn out to be about a guy running a fish and chip van in Watford!

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
FM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 706 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 04, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just because Freddie was still with Mary and "into girls" at the time he wrote BoRap doesn't mean there was no struggle within him regarding his sexuality at that time. More the reason for him to be struggling with it. There is no doubt in my mind that that song is indeed about his sexuality and his coming to terms with it. I believe Brian has even said this. BoRap was Freddie's most personal composition. Also, all my beliefs regarding Freddie in every aspect were confirmed after seeing Mercury, the Afterlife and Times of a Rock God.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 04, 09:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> Useless trivia: The intro of Bohemian Rhapsody was written by Freddie and one of his Wreckage bandmates, as a chorus for one of their songs)

That's not really true. 'Real Life' apparently is a song Fred wrote in Wreckage that was similar to the intro of Bo Rhap, in the same way Let Your Heart Rule Your Head is similarto '39 but we don't say "Brian wrote 'Let Your Heart' in 1975"

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 04, 11:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK< the answer to the original question is a very simple NO. Nobody knows the meaning, and your mate is merely claiming that his rumour is better than your rumour.

pouria user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 197 posts

Posted: 31 Jan 04, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it's the story of a boy who has killed someone because he'd sold his soul to devil and now this is the night before he gets killed because of his crime.
then he starts saying the god's name in arabic (bismillah) so he can free his soul from satan and as he's calling God he is in some unconcousness state.
and finally he manages to win his soul back.

the story is something like Goethe's Faust, justa hint for those of you who have read that book.

POURIA QUEEN FAN

IF YOU ARE SEARCHING OUT FOR SOMETHING,DON'T TRY SO HARD.

IF YOU ARE FEELING A KIND OF NOTHING,DON'TTRY SO HARD

Posted: 31 Jan 04, 17:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

that's a good interpretation... is it true??

< then he starts saying the god's name in arabic (bismillah) so he can free his soul from satan and as he's calling God he is in some unconcousness state.
and finally he manages to win his soul back.>>

...Erica*

--Sarah Jessica Parker
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 31 Jan 04, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do you believe everything people tell you?

If so, you owe me a tenner...