Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Wembley '86 edited!

forum rss feed
Author

Joma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 388 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Feb 04, 17:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have a bootleg from 2nd night Wembley 1986 with a very clear soundboard recording (though a little too slow) with a version of We Are The Champions. Now there's a LITTLE difference to the dvd and cd version. At the end of the 2nd verse ('... and I ain't gonna lose') Freddie's voice cracks a little and he goes down, very low.
I noticed the following: You can't see Freddie sing this on the VHS or the DVD, even the Freddie cam changes to a far distance right to the back of the stadium. Well - I'm very certain of that overdubbing.
So has anyone noticed that, too? And why did they do that? It's the same with Roger singing the 'why' in Under Pressure when he didn't. I hate such things!!

Live life to the full!

Posted: 05 Feb 04, 18:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now after cutting and listening I am all the most convinced. It's like that:

On the DVD:
Freddie's vocal ist edited from 'before the whole human race and I ain't gonna lose'. The 'on, on, keep on' is the real concert again. Of course the edited line sounds better and is sung stronger. That's it! Anyone interested? The I might put the snippet online.

cheers!

Live life to the full!
Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user is on Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 04, 21:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, official releases often are overdubbed. The first time I noticed something like that, though, was not an overdub. In the Rock in Rio VHS, in hammer to fall, when Freddie sings "it's going to faaaaaall" he goes way out of tune, but his voice was lowered down in the final mix to hide that. I have a k7 I recorded straight from tv at the time in which you hear his voice cracking. I guess he was human, after all, despite of all the evidences that he was an inhabitant of Mount Olimpus. ;)

Cheers,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 04, 01:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yea, quite a few wembley parts were overdubbed and remade

MY GOD spell it write.
Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 04, 03:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The overdubs and edits are only minor. A few in One Vision, a few in We Are The Champions but nothing serious (OK, if you're musician, you will hear more differences I guess).

RMT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 621 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 04, 03:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never knew they overdubbed Wembley, I knew Live Killers was a bit of a mishmash of overdubbing, and I heard that Live At Brixton Academy CD version was too. I'll have to watch the DVD now, oh well, I needed an excuse!

"Tangerine wishes, rainbows that colour the love parade"
Kenneth E. Sandvær user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 366 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 04, 04:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is the DVD mixed from stereo to 5.1? or is it mixed from the master?
I could read on some review that they used the stereo mix for the CD and mixed it into 5.1 because they didn't have the master anymore.
I think at least the stereo mix from the CD and DVD sounds the same. But I do not have DTS decoder so I don't know about that.

earwig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 274 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 04, 05:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well the FM tribute DVD is 'upmixed' from stereo to 5.1 I guess cos it cost less. Cheating though!
Roger Daltry is definately overdubbed in the DVD and VHS after the guitar solo in I want It All.
On the subject of the Wembley DVD - what is the full 'Rivers of blood' speech before Who wants to live forever? I've heard so much about it but have no idea what Freddie says

Dead Daddy Long-legs. I'm still drinking it.
Harry_queenrecordings user not visiting Queenzone.com
Harry_queenrecordings
Bohemian: 594 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 04, 07:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are not just a few overdubs on the wembley 2nd night, it's a bit more then a few.
The bootleg ''Flash Freddie'' has 75% the wembley 2nd night concert and you can hear in almost every song that some slightly parts are overdubbed, some parts more then others. It's a pity that the bootleg isn't complete.
Overdubs(vocals only)as far as i know are on these songs:
One vision
Tie your mother down
A kind of magic
I want to break free
Now i'm here
Hammer to fall
We are the champions

Also only the ''music'' parts are overdubbed in some songs like Hammer to fall on brian's guitar.

It's maybe a bit stupid but i listen more the Mannheim 86 concert instead of the wembley one because of those damn overdubs. I like to hear the 100% real thing but besides that wembley is sure a wonderful concert.

It's A Beautiful Day...

http://www.queenrecordings.com
Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 04, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I will listen to Wembley this weekend and we'll see.

But I know for sure Freddie's voice wasn't bad at Wembley. Most concerts in 1984-1985 were worse.

Hank H. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 04, 08:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And to my mind IWTBF still sounds shit, despite the overdubs.

"I'm a great believer in actually NOT giving people what they want"

Brian May, 11 March 05

Posted: 07 Feb 04, 12:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's true, I adore the Mannheim concert (and it was only 30 miles away from my home town).

But next question (for all those Magic Tour experts):
From what date is the overdub in We Are The Champions???

Live life to the full!

Posted: 07 Feb 04, 16:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From what date is the overdub in We Are The Champions???

To me it sounds from Belguim show(IMO of course), the voice is high, it has to be from one of the first shows.

MY GOD spell it write.
Harry_queenrecordings user not visiting Queenzone.com
Harry_queenrecordings
Bohemian: 594 posts

Posted: 08 Feb 04, 08:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some say that the overdubs are coming from other dates like brussels 86 but i think they are made in the studio.
If i am right then the wembley gig should be released in 1987 and not the budapest 86, because of some reasons( i don't know which ones) the budapest 86 was released instead the wembley one so its possible that freddie made the overdubs for the wembley gig in the studio..
The brussels 86 bootleg is ofcourse not a clear recording and you can't compare it perfect but still they are different then the wembley overdubs if you just look to the song One vision

It's A Beautiful Day...

http://www.queenrecordings.com

Posted: 08 Feb 04, 14:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yea, it's not clear, none of the ealry shows are very clear, sweden,belgium,leiden none come close in sound compared to what Wembley has, we will never know
I dont know about it being done in the studio, as you will recall that they aired wembley after it was played, i doubt freddie went back and re did the vocals, I have seen the wembley that was Aired on MTV it's about the same as the tape, but with commercials.

MY GOD spell it write.
sbazb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 76 posts

Posted: 08 Feb 04, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The overdubs would have been done fairly soon after the concert happened as it was shown on Channel 4 show "The Tube" not long after.

Posted: 09 Feb 04, 00:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paris is an early show of that tour and Freddie goes down at We Are The Champions, same position as mentioned above in Wembley. And the next date, Mannheim, he goes very etchy up in the first verse. I don't think it matters if it's an early show or not. More the mood or health (throat) state of Freddie. Or temperature or air quality (sounds ridiculous, I know, but may be).

Live life to the full!
teleport8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 89 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 05, 00:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also noticed that at the beginning of the last verse when Freddie sings "We are the champions" you hear Roger sing "of the world" as the end of the verse before. You also see him play drums at that time, but not sing.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 05, 04:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
shanemcd user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 229 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its a very high song to sing and coming at the end of a performance I'm not surprised he may have difficulty reaching a note like that !

http://queen.shanemcdonald.org/ (Shanes Queen Site)

Follow me on Twitter

Twitter.com/smcdonalddotorg

Follow me on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ShaneMcDonaldorg/118978468128623