Forums > Personal > "Cybercops"

forum rss feed
Author

Under Pressure user not visiting Queenzone.com
Under Pressure
Bohemian: 989 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Feb 04, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was watching the news last night, and it told me about some woman detective from New Jersey whose job is to flit around on AIM all day, chatting to would-be child molesters.

Now, wouldn't it be safe to assume that child molesters would be a bit more careful, knowing that these people are out there? I mean, it's just as easy for a 30 year-old woman to pretend to be a 13 year-old girl as it is for a 30 year-old man to pretend to be a 13 year-old boy.

I don't see how anyone could be stupid enough to attempt to meet a child over the internet -- there's such a large chance that said person would be arrested. And how dumb would the child have to be?

"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." - FM
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 04, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

www.perverted-justice.com

www.kctv.com

The first is a site that lures adults by posing as children, then posts their info online. Vigilantism for the 21st Century, I guess.

The second is a news station that did an "investigation" with that website in order to catch some of these guys. 16 guys show up to have sex with a 14 year old, only to have the camera meet them at the door.

I'm torn whether I approve or not. What these guys did was terribly wrong, but is exposing them really helping the problem, or just making them more careful?

DJ's the man we love the most
Under Pressure user not visiting Queenzone.com
Under Pressure
Bohemian: 989 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 04, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that these very public tactics are working against a solution; as long as these people know how the police are trying to track them, they can find new ways of commiting crimes. If the cops are more discreet, then the criminals would have no idea how they are being traced.

"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." - FM
Killer Queen .45 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5048 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 04, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's like reporting on the news "The police report that the do not currently know the location of the terrorists but they have got the airport cordoned off for the next 24 hours."

Now if I was a terrorist, I'd be watching BBC News 24, saying "Right...we'll wait here for a day then we'll pop to the airport. Hey! James, take that stupid balaclavar off, that's the first thing the police'll be looking for in terrorists! And put that AK-47 down! Stupid boy, haven't you read the 'Basic Guide to Being a Terrorist"?? Read it now!"

Recently renovated.
Mayboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6181 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 04, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"They should castrate these perverts,that would put them off from doing it."

agreed Barry

"I'm going up Buchanan Street

With a box of fireworks

And two bottles of

Tizer"