Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Instrumental sharing project

forum rss feed
Author

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Feb 04, 22:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Having just finally obtained "Greatest Karaoke Hits" I thought I'd start sharing the tracks for anyone who may be interested.

However, in many cases my files will be unique. These karaoke tracks were originally produced for a special Flix I & II laserdisc set (though not all songs/videos were included) therefore they follow the pattern of the video versions. Some were faded in or out rather quickly and of course, single versions were often used.

For my project, I'm attempting to restore wherever possible, the original length of the songs while maintaining the instrumentality of the tracks. The karaoke mixes are not only instrumental, but in most cases the mix itself sounds slightly different so there will be subtle differences during my transitional edit points, but I think I'm doing a pretty good job.

I plan to upload a new track on a daily basis, replacing the previous one. Files will be 192 kbps.

Please see the new topic for latest files:

http://www.queenzone.com/queen/forum/topic_view.asp?Q_FORUM_ID=4&Q_FORUM_NAME=Sharing+The+Music&Q_FORUM_TOPIC_ID=327250&TOPIC_SUBJECT=Instrumental+Sharing+Project+%2D+New+home

Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How many track are there total? Sounds very interesting!!

David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 10:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds like a great idea! I'm interested!

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
Guy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 803 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 10:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you :)

"You'll never find rainbows if you're looking down."  -Charlie Chaplin

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the responses :)

There's 31 tracks on the CDs. Here is the way they are arranged:

Disc One
--------
*Bohemian Rhapsody
*You're My Best Friend
*Somebody To Love
*Tie Your Mother Down
*We Are The Champions
*We Will Rock You
*Spread Your Wings
*Bicycle Race
*Fat Bottomed Girls
*Don't Stop Me Now
*Crazy Little Thing Called Love
*Save Me
*Play The Game
*Another One Bites The Dust
*Flash
*Keep Yourself Alive

Disc Two
--------
*A Kind Of Magic
*Under Pressure
*Radio Ga Ga
*I Want It All
*I Want To Break Free
It's A Hard Life
*Breakthru
*Who Wants To Live Forever
The Miracle
*I'm Going Slightly Mad
The Invisible Man
*Hammer To Fall
*Friends Will Be Friends
*The Show Must Go On
*One Vision

* - has been shared in some form

They are the length of the video versions since they were first released on a special Flix I & II laserdisc set. "Killer Queen" was not included so they added the video & karaoke of "Keep Yourself Alive" as a bonus.

On Disc Two/Flix II "Innuendo" and "Headlong" are inexplicably (sp) absent as well.

I'm making my own 2-disc set with the alterations I spoke of, plus I'm adding other instrumentals, like "Machines", "Seven Seas Of Rhye", maybe even "Chinese Torture" hehe.

I'll probably just choose the tracks to upload at random, but I'm doing disc one first. Restoring "Fat Bottomed Girls" to the full-length version has been one of the most trying tasks but I think I've pretty much got it. That one will probably be next.

Here's a link to the disc at CD Universe. It sells for $45.99 normally, until they're low on stock and then they raise it by about $10. A bit pricey, but it is a Japanese release (official) and quite unique. Mine is a regular full-sized 2 disc case with a 64 page booklet of lyrics in English & Japanese and an obi strip of course. I got the impression somewhere that there's a slim case version also, though they couldn't possibly fit the full booklet in there.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1375704&cart=176950261&style=music

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry if this feels like a dampner, but all of this has been done before. I (along with many others) have had the full "Keep Yourself Alive - cut 'n paste" instrumental since the karaoke discs were originally released about 10 years ago.

Apart from the karaoke tracks, fully restored "eYe" instrumental versions (Such as "Modern Times Rock n' Roll", "Mother Love" and the full "Death On Two Legs" - to name a few) have all been completed also.

Rather than re-invent the wheel, why not just search out what is already out there - perhaps the "hub" would be a good place to start - it could save you a lot of work.

I admit it may be fun to do - but it just seems a bit redundant.

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice editing job! Sounds good to me!

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I understand what you're saying John, and I do in fact keep forgetting about the 'Eye' versions which I have yet to experience.

But it's a fun project for me..

A) I love editing
B) I just got these discs
C) I'm sure not everyone has heard them or can/will access the Hub
(I'm not really interested in it myself as I don't have enough unique stuff to share, don't care for live shows, shut down the computer frequently and often I'm working on rather large files and wouldn't want a sharing application running.)

Besides I'm pretty darn good at editing so chances are my versions will be slightly better. :) And it can't hurt anyone.. if someone like yourself already has stuff like this you're welcomed to move on :)

Edit: Thanks Danno!

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 14:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YOW!!! Those tracks sound VERY nice!!
The ones I mentioned several threads ago about Queen The eYe are remixed and remastered, and some were even re-recorded. They really burn up the speakers!

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember you mentioning that Lisa. It's just one of those things that isn't screaming "buy me!" yet but I'm sure I'll want to get the set at some point, probably when it's even harder to find :-P

I just found this book & one-disc preview which I hadn't heard about before:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3386579929&category=2355

Looking at completed items, the game itself seems to sell anywhere from $10 to $70. There's also an (obvious) bootleg set of just the music.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 17:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good for you DF:

Don't know about "my versions will be slightly better...", as the versions I refered to were completed by studio professionals on studio equipment, but if "it's a fun project", and you "love editing", hey that's what I call entertainment!

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 17:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I keep forgetting about the hub. I really need to get back on there. And yes, I agree with John. There are definitely plenty of these tracks on there. That's where I got the karaoke tracks. And I have 4 out of the 5 eYe discs. Again, also available on the hub.

Save your webspace dude. And why bother messing with FBGirls? I love the single version.

Also, it's easy to get on there from what I remember.

peace,
Adam.

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 18:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"completed by studio professionals on studio equipment"

That's not saying much. I've corrected tons of 'professionally produced' bad edits. My skills are somewhat futile to others though, as most people don't seem to notice flaws as well as I do :) It's a curse actually. I wish I could just ignore that stuff and enjoy the music sometimes.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I too understand "the curse"! Friends and family bother you to do jobs for them etc.

"I've corrected tons of 'professionally produced' bad edits."

But let's not judge those involved. Sometimes these things happen. Just think of all the jobs that get sent their way. There's always going to be something that slips through.

Adam.

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 18:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Fat Bottomed Girls" (full-length instrumental) was the file this day. No longer available.

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 18:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you, Deacon Fan!

And thanks also to John and the others that worked with him. I have many of those, gotten from the hub.

Cheers,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 19:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I just found this book & one-disc preview which I hadn't heard about before:"

Wait -- please don't pay that exhorbitant amount!! There's a website that has it MUCH cheaper, same book:

http://www.bookcloseouts.com/bc/display_book_title.asp?isbn=0765191261&keyword=the+eye&ta=Queen&sf=T&pagenum=1

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the link. I wasn't thinking about buying it, just thought it was interesting.

What would you say the game is actually worth? I couldn't find it at the Picture Hall.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 15 Feb 04, 21:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"PS- If you're not interested, don't download. I wasn't aware of any restrictions around here on people sharing their creativity. If this topic is taking up precious space that could be used to discuss Britney Spears' singing abilities, I deeply apologize."

Why say that?

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 04, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because he's feeling that the other posts in the thread are critical of his choice of activity.

Although reading as a third party, it doesn't look intended particularly harshly.