Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Japanese Cardboard cd's 2004

forum rss feed
Author

Rien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Feb 04, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

edited: I've uploaded one track of every Queen cardboard album as far as I have them right now (first 8 albums)

I've uploaded 4 tracks from the Japanese cardboard cd's onto my site (see Download).
It's told it are remastered versions and the sound should be great. Well, I must say the sleeves are stunning, even the included inner sleeves. Exact replicas from the original vinyl albums. They do sound great I think. I would like to have some honest feedback from you. Of course these are only 4 tracks and it are mp3-files (320Kbps). Well, what do you think?

Feel free to visit my site - http://www.mercuryparadise.com

(Come into my life, it's a MercuryParadise)
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 04, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are they copy protected, Rien?

I do not want any google ads here.

MexQueenFM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 13266 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 04, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They sound really good!

Mejor yo me hecho una chela, y chance enchufo una chava, chambeando de chafirete, me sobra chupe y pachanga

Tranzando de arriba a abajo, hay va la chilanga banda , chinchin si me la recuerdan
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 04, 17:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow! These are great! Thank you Rien! I SOOOOOOOO have to buy these CD's now!:D

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel

Posted: 23 Feb 04, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think they're not copy protected. e.g. the Japanese JEWELS cd is copy-protected. On that cd a player is installed so it can be played on a pc too.

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 04, 17:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm looking forward to getting these eventually. A little broke at the moment but I'm gonna try to get a couple a month starting next month, and beginning with the later albums. Since I have the 1998 card sleeves, I'll leave those first 8 until the end :)

Anyone know the best price for U.S. buyers?

CD Universe has a special page for these:
http://www.cduniverse.com/promo/feature.asp?page=music_24&style=music&cart=178146892

$36.79 to $39.19 They also don't have a specific listing for the alternate Made In Heaven cover which I'd like to get.

Edit: Looks like they went the common path of 'louder must be better' for these 2001 remasters. http://members.cox.net/deaconfan/dsmn.gif Not that there's anything wrong with it since they seem to sound good and everyone seems to be doing this lately. I just don't see why it's necessary. It also makes compilations a bitch, as you have to either make other tracks ridiculously loud to match, or clip the loud ones which kills dynamic range. Oh well.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 04, 19:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Rocks is equally as loud and it's not necessarily the best quality either. I don't hear people complaining about that one :P

Posted: 23 Feb 04, 19:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very true. I noticed 'No-One But You' is clipped a little on Greatest Hits 3 as they chose not to make the disc as loud as Rocks and obviously took it from that master rather than properly remastering it at a lower level. It's always obvious by the fact that the wave is limited to a certain size rather than showing a good range of dynamics.

It's funny to think of music visually :) I used to edit with a pause button on a cassette deck. So much more precise visually.

Here's something to ponder. Music has been heard backwards and upside down.. what might it sound like sideways? ;)

inu-liger

Posted: 23 Feb 04, 20:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Very true. I noticed 'No-One But You' is clipped a little on Greatest Hits 3 as they chose not to make the disc as loud as Rocks and obviously took it from that master rather than properly remastering it at a lower level"

Hmm, never noticed that.

Btw. they should be remastering all the tracks on GVH3 when it comes out later this Oct/Nov., right?

If not, is there a Queen Rocks remaster CB disc coming out in Japan, or has it already come out?

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 00:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, the DVDs come with fresh DTS mixes and I assume the PCM versions are remastered at the same time, so yes.

I haven't heard anything about 'Rocks' being remastered. Would be nice if they'd fix that horrible glitch on FBG.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Deacon Fan please tell me you've used a Compressor/Limter before. Or at least know of one. This is in part, why the image differs greatly. It's probably true that they simply used the Mix-masters and mastered into 24-bit. And in using the EQ-ing, a final compressor was both necesary and very useful. It's not a simple case of making it louder. Part of the deal, but not the be-all-and-end-all.
And remember what Joe Meek always used to say, "If it sounds right. It is!" Hehe

However because of the approach taken, there are slight problems. You And I both suffer from this approach. The You and I vocal is a little too toppy and upfront because of it. Sometimes the guitars on Dragon Attack are also a little too toppy. The other two, DSMN and WNY, both sound nice.
But overall, these 2001 remasters have really opened up the sound. The 24-bit sound was a much needed step. I'm just glad that someone finally realised.

Peace,
Adam.

P.S. Thanks for posting these Rien. You didn't buy QueenII by any chance? :)

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is it not possible to utilize such techniques without increasing the average level so much? I realize that the Queen sound in many instances is the result of compression (thanks to reading some of Justin's notes) and I know there are vast differences between digital and analog levels. I just don't see why each remaster becomes so much louder than the previous.

And even with compression, don't you lose some of the separation of elements and they become lost in a 'wall of sound'?

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can only guess for the reasons to make a cd hotter. But because of the way digital works and the new 24-bit masters being used - I would guess that they want to make use of as much of the headroom as possible. A very good thing. And may I add, not overdone.

My second point is that when you're EQ-ing and using compression, the level will undoubtedly rise. Especially if trying to retain the original masters' sound. That's a given. Using EQ is like boosting the volume in a specific frequency range, e.g. 80Hz and 8kHz are common ones to find on a hi-fi. I'm sure you know that. But the point is that the level increases in those specific areas that the compression is needed. Hi-fi owners aren't given a lot of leyway, but if you turn something up too far, it distorts. A compressor/limiter avoids that. An especially important piece of kit when mixing in digital!

But don't think that compression is part of the key to the Queen sound. It is and it isn't! The original analog recordings were pushed into the red on tape and that resulted in the compression JSS probably meant. And also the warm and mildly distorted sound.

"Is it not possible to utilize such techniques without increasing the average level so much?"

Nope.

"And even with compression, don't you lose some of the separation of elements and they become lost in a 'wall of sound'?"

Again, yes and no. As long as it's done right, it won't occur. And when you move around a speaker, the whole thing changes anyway. So don't let it concern you that much. Who sits like a rock in front of their speakers!?!
Just don't go crazy with compression. And DSMN is hardly to the "wall". So it's cool. Now, Loser in the End is to the wall!

Nope.

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam, before reading your post I had just uploaded Nevermore from Queen II.
I've all the released 2004 cardboard cd's.
Yesterday I ordered the next series (were released today I think) and also the two versions of Made In Heaven.
So I will receive Flash Gordon/.../Innuendo in about 4 days.

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 16:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

stupid question Rien, where did you order them from?

Mejor yo me hecho una chela, y chance enchufo una chava, chambeando de chafirete, me sobra chupe y pachanga

Tranzando de arriba a abajo, hay va la chilanga banda , chinchin si me la recuerdan

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 17:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I ordered them from http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/Listups/pop/queen.html

Not cheap! There's handling and postage to be paid and after arrival (after 4 days they're delivered from Japan to the Netherlands) I receive a letter from the Custom Office to pay another 50 Euros, just because of importing these cd's from outside Europe....

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wow! that's a lot of money, thanks for the link Rien :)

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

double post

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2256 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 01:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Who sits like a rock in front of their speakers!?!"

Me when I'm driving my car? ;)

Cheers,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
inu-liger

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 10:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CDJapan is very expensive to order from.

When I ordered two CDs and a DVD+CD set from them last year, I ended up paying around $60-$70 CDN for these discs altogether including shipping and duties and postage and stuff.....

'f course, that won't prevent me from ordering from them in the future - they're one of the best Japanese websites for ordering CDs DVDs and LaserDiscs. Did you guys know they still have some Queen LD's on that site for sale?