Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > John the most underrated Queen member???

forum rss feed
Author

roland user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 115 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 13:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think so, yes. e.g. everybody says how great Clean Machine or Rock It are, but nobody ever mentions that John had a great talent to write beautiful little songs.

anyway i always think that most queen fans like him songwriter wise the most.

(he's after freddie my favourite songwriter)

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 14:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What is Clean Machine?

LucyCoeCollins user not visiting Queenzone.com
   LucyCoeCollins
Bohemian: 109 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ITA;-)

"YOU CAN BE ANYTHING YOU WANT TO BE

JUST TURN YERSELF INTO ANYTHING YOU THINK THAT YOU COULD EVER BE"
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry? I don't know what ITA stands for...

MexQueenFM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 13266 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Clean Machine? I'm in love with my car , perhaps ?:|

and John is a great songwriter , just listen to IWTBF and You are my best friend

Mejor yo me hecho una chela, y chance enchufo una chava, chambeando de chafirete, me sobra chupe y pachanga

Tranzando de arriba a abajo, hay va la chilanga banda , chinchin si me la recuerdan
Wayne Gretzky user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Or Another One Bites The Dust and You And I.

Don't run into the long grass!
MexQueenFM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 13266 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

exactly Impromptu, John was a great songwriter :)

Mejor yo me hecho una chela, y chance enchufo una chava, chambeando de chafirete, me sobra chupe y pachanga

Tranzando de arriba a abajo, hay va la chilanga banda , chinchin si me la recuerdan
Mayboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6181 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 14:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In Only Seven Days was great too :)

"I'm going up Buchanan Street

With a box of fireworks

And two bottles of

Tizer"

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Johns a great songwriter. But i don't think he was the best songwriter in Queen.

My list

1. Brian
2. Freddie
3. John
4. Roger

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
geeksandgeeks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4296 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

not to mention all the instrumentals off the Flash Gordon soundtrack that everyone always forgets about.

God wants you to send me some money.

"Seven spades doubled, vulnerable, making seven? You BITCH."
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let's not forget that John was influenced by soul, R&B, reggae, and other black genres.

Which helped Queen get a more pop oriented vibe, and a funkier sound to make their music trascend to other genres other than rock.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
LucyCoeCollins user not visiting Queenzone.com
   LucyCoeCollins
Bohemian: 109 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 19:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ITA stands for I TOTALLY AGREE;-)

"YOU CAN BE ANYTHING YOU WANT TO BE

JUST TURN YERSELF INTO ANYTHING YOU THINK THAT YOU COULD EVER BE"
Mona Lisa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 19:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John is my second favorite member after Freddie.

I also think that he wrote some awsome songs. Spread your wings, Misfire, and Another one Bites the dust all rock. My favorite, though, is You and I.

Inside my heart is breaking,

My make-up may be flaking,

But my smile still stays on.
Matti user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1619 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 21:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love John's songs!

Though underrated maybe because he doesn't sing.....?
Who knows.

Total Blam Blam
Saffron Caribou user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2326 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 04, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Stone Cold Crazy there. Perhaps John's underrated status is due that he never sang on the albums. Also his stage pressence is deemed forgettable to non Queen fans, and surpisingly, to some Queen fans as well. I'll admit that at first I wasn't that fond of John. However, as I got more into Queen I learnt to appreciate his songwriting. Most of the Queen songs that I love are written by him, such as You and I, Misfire, and Spread Your Wings to name some. Freddie will always be my favourite songwriter of the group. John is a very close second. Brian is a distant third, and Roger is dead last. IMO

Sorry Roger fans.

When you open your heart to a smooth operator...
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 01:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Fred is the most underrated member. Of course many many many people love his voice, and a good percentage of queen fans admire him as singer. But what about his skills as pianist, arranger, songwriter...? That stupid legend that in the last years he hardly composed, when in Miracle and Innuendo he was by far the main songwriter, numerically, and the three post-Innuendo songs are all written or co-written by him.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Lawyeris user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 9082 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 02:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The most underrated Queen member was .... Spike Edney. Actually he created the most popular and favourite Queen songs from Seven Seas of Rhye to The Show must go on and played main guitar parts in such songs as Now I'm here, Bohemian Rhapsody, It's late, Tear it up, I want it all, Hitman and so on. He was so talented, that other members had hiding him, 'cause lots of groups wanted to tempt him join their groups: Boomtown Rats, Sigue Sigue Sputnic, the Sparks, 10CC, Deacon Blue, Thin Lizzy... this list could last forever. Also, due to this, he played backstages most, and only through Hammer to Fall and Crazy little thing, also Tutti Frutti on Magic tour group let him appear on stage. Then as a compensation for all that wrong, Roger created group Cross especially for dear Spikie. But he wasnt happy with that, 'cause all his heart and mind belonged to Queen. After this he created song about himself "Invisible Man". After Freddie Mercury died, mostly thanx to his endevours, was organized huge Tribute to Freddie at Wembley stadium. Now he lives quiet life, joins some solo and charity projects, recently takes part in musical WWRY. But few people know he's that secret fifth Queen member...

Lithuania
roland user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 115 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oh shit, i wrote "like him the most", of course i meant "like him the least", but yeah, I'm glas that so many love his songwriting.

he wrote more poppy songs, or funky ongs, but not really rock songs.

but yes, i think that's my favorite's list:

Freddie
John
May
Roger

i don't like roger's songs, even Radio Ga Ga i dislike... oh sorry, and yes I meant IILWMC with Clean machine. i think that song is totally crap.

yes that's right, freddie was not lazy with his songwriting. he did actually a lot in 1983 and then from 1987 to 1991.

remember all his solo songs from 1983 (which were released in 1985), his Barcelona songs from 1987, the miracle songs and his big influence on Innuendo!!!

i think his laziest time was from 1977 til 1982. Have a look at The Game. his songs were not that great, though I love Play The Game and Crazy thing, i didn't get too much intp DTsuicide.

Azmandaman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 333 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 05:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John rocks!! dont think he is underated at all, he talked with the Bass sound and shines with his number one hits, and the song that neva made it big he still rocks it!!

too much sweetness is starting to turn

on all of us

Jab and Tranquilize the sour vibe.

so the taste of the bitter pills be our discipline once again

(Shaggy)

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 06:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

About Freddie's "laziness":

1977 was in fact a hard year for him, personally, so he didn't write too much. Note that 'News Of The World' is the only album (together with 'Flash') in which Brian wrote more songs than Freddie (although in 'Flash Gordon' many of those songs are just variations of 'Flash Theme' or 'The Hero').

1978 Fred was the main songwriter in 'Jazz', with five songs against four by Brian, two by John, two by Roger.

Apparently he wrote a lot of songs in the Game period but they had the deal of include three songs by Brian, three songs by Freddie, two by Roger and two by John. Roger recommended Fred to put the other songs (I guess 'Beautiful Day' is one of them) in a solo album but Fred said he didn't want to make an album of leftovers.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.