Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Are some Queen fans too Freddie centered?

forum rss feed
Author

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How could not someone love Freddie, his voice, his showmanship, his songs, and everything else. Yet it seems like a lot of Queen fans prefer to ignore that behind this great man there were 3 other guys just about as talented as himself.

I feel like Brian, Roger, and John are very underestimated to some fans. Freddie was a very important part of Queen, and there's no doubt that Queen couldn't carry on as normal after his death. But whether it was him or any other member of the band who passed away it would be too hard (and pehaps impossible) to keep going. Even Freddie himself might not want to carry on with the band without any of the other members of Queen.

Just look at all the songs each one of them wrote. There were at least 3 huge worldwide hits written by each individual member.
The influence of each member of Queen helped created a balance within the band that made Queen one of the greatest bands of all time. Not even the Beatles (hint. Ringo) had the contribution of each and every single band member to make the band so great.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree that:

Roger & Brian --> NOT Queen
Roger & John --> NOT Queen
Roger & Freddie --> NOT Queen
Brian & John --> NOT Queen
Brian & Freddie --> NOT Queen
John & Freddie --> NOT Queen
Roger & Brian & Freddie --> NOT Queen
Roger & Brian & John --> NOT Queen
Roger & Freddie & John --> NOT Queen
Brian & Freddie & John --> NOT Queen

Of course there can be an odd "Queen" song with just three people ('One Year Of Love', 'Action This Day', 'Sleeping On The Sidewalk', 'Nevermore'...) but not a whole album or tour.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
roland user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 115 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes, i think you're right. i think everyone of them was able to write good songs, and each one of them had one huge hit, which is known everywhere you go

Brian - We Will Rock YOu
Freddie- We Are The Champions
Roger - Radio Ga Ga
John - Another One Bites The Dust

but anyway, I#m not a queen fan at all, i call myself a freddie fan. so it comes that i don't listen to songs brian or john sung, but if freddie sings songs from them i like it.

but i think, sorry my friends, queen wouldn't be so damaged with a dead Roger or John. it maybe that they had their own style of playing their instruments, but a non-die-hard-fan wouldn't even recognize it, just my opinion, but i simply think freddie was most important (and famous/popular).

pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 11:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spike Edney --> Queen

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

who's spike etney?

Azmandaman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 333 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 11:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh come on Thats a lil harsh dont you think>?
I mean as FREDDIE once stated he is 25% of Queen.
so if it were without Freddie surely it will still be 75% of Queen if not the full force.

I hate it when people get shallow and criticise this and that is not pure etc...lol! although it was from the original plot.

And som of you marvel at a pop star beyonce to star in a Queen movie lol! and a westend musical thing,,, but still you go back to the fact that Brian Roger and Deacon is no longer deserve their own band title when they are together lol!

I see Queen like a meteorite force a ball of fire.
Freddie is da front man taking the heat of the speed.And in the end he was first to rightly dissolved out of the rest.

dont take this wrong guys ya.. but Freddie past away because he shines with the up most heat of greatness.
at his level he forgets that Life is no more than a candle wax. and if you are burning that fast living the ultimate life of a candle you are first to fade away.

God rest Bulsaras' soul!
Big up!

too much sweetness is starting to turn

on all of us

Jab and Tranquilize the sour vibe.

so the taste of the bitter pills be our discipline once again

(Shaggy)

Sebastian

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think Fred was much more important than the others, that's something ambiguous. But what you can measure is that the most complex songs, the most complex arrangements (of course more complex isn't neccesarily "better") were by him. Note that in ten albums out of fifteen (without compilations or live things) he was the major songwriter, and in other three he had a tie with Brian. What is "absolute" or provable, is that most hits were written by him. Let's see their top 10 singles in the UK and who wrote and arranged them:

--------

#1:

Bohemian Rhapsody --> Freddie, Freddie
Days Of Our Lives --> Roger, Queen (in fact they four programmed the keyboards)
Under Pressure --> Freddie & David, Queen&Bowie
Innuendo --> Freddie(music&lyrics)&Roger(lyrics), Queen(-John + Dave Richards & Steve Howe)

-------

#2:

Crazy Little Thing --> Freddie, Queen
Flick Of The Wrist/Killer Queen --> Freddie-Freddie, Freddie-Queen
Heaven For Everyone--> Roger, Brian&Roger&John&DavidRichards
Somebody To Love--> Freddie, Freddie
We Are The Champions--> Freddie, Freddie
We Will Rock You--> Brian, Brian
Radio Ga Ga --> Roger, Freddie

------

#3:

A Kind Of Magic --> Roger, Freddie
I Want It All --> Brian, Queen
I Want To Break Free --> John, Freddie

------

#6:

A Winter's Tale --> Freddie, Queen
It's A Hard Life --> Freddie, Freddie

----

#7:

Another One Bites The Dust --> John, John
Breakthru --> Freddie&Roger, Queen
One Vision --> Roger&Brian, Freddie (mainly)
You're My Best Friend --> John, John

----

#9:

Don't Stop Me Now --> Freddie, Freddie
Let Me Live --> ? (Fred&Roger? Roger? Freddie?), Queen

---

#10:

Flash --> Brian, Brian
Seven Seas Of Rhye --> Freddie, Freddie

-------

Also think something: why was You're My Best Friend a top ten hit? just because it was nice? No way. If some new band released it, it could be equally nice but not a top ten. Why it was a top ten? Because the band was famous, and why was it so famous? Because of Bo Rhap, Killer Queen and Seven Seas, three top tens. And who wrote them?

I of course don't mean Fred was much more important than the rest, but there are some things you can measure and count.

Finally, in my opinion Fred was just 12.5% of Queen. Each one was. The other 50% was the force that they all four had together. So if anyone of them isn't there the percentage (in my opinion) is reduced by 62.5%. A person without 62.5% of his blood dies. So, if there isn't the four of them there's no Queen for me. As I said, it's ok for one or two songs per album, because all of them produced the tracks and aproved them and etc. But not a full album or tour of just two or three former Queen members. That's not Queen, no way (and I don't mean legally, I mean ethically)

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you're dissing you're my bst friend. it's a nice song, and yes of course it was top ten cause queen were famous, but that's with every song so.

Sebastian

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 11:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, of course Bo Rhap wouldn't have the same success if the band wasn't already famous. What was famous for? Killer Queen. But it wouldn't be such a big hit if the band wasn't at least partially famous because of their top ten ('7 Seas'). And who wrote those three songs?

Robin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Robin
Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 12:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think when Queen first came out it was Freddie centered. I mean, look at him then and his sound and his lyrics? For me, I only saw Freddie. However that changed quickly as I stayed with the band and learned more about them. I loved hearing Roger and Brian sing on Queen albums and missed that when it stopped. You tend to realize that the "Queen sound" can only be made by the four of them.

Robin

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 13:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just take for instance all the songs from 'Made In Heaven' taken from Freddie's solo work. They sound way much better as Queen songs.

Also lets not forget that all Queen songs (even Bohemian Rhapsody) were collaborations between the 4 members of the band. Imagine BohRap without Brian's guitar solo, although Freddie wrote most of the song, the solo is his.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Sebastian

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 14:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The guys have said several times that Fred had all the parts of Bo Rhap in his mind. So without Brian he'd just have put Jeff Beck or someone else to play the solo.

Bijou isn't a collaboration of the four members. Many songs aren't

Also, to reply to the first post of this thread:

> There were at least 3 huge worldwide hits written by each individual

Oh really? Let's see:

Fred: Bo Rhap, Champions, Crazy Little Thing. 3 it is (Innuendo was a hit in UK but I'm not sure if it was a worldwide hit)

Brian: Rockyou and ... let's say I Want It All although I don't consider it to be such a huge hit. But nothing else. Flash was top 10 in UK but not a worldwide thing at all

Roger: Radio Ga Ga and A Kind Of Magic. That's it

John: Another one Bites, Break Free and ... let's say You're My Best Friend although I don't find it too worldwide

Rich Tea user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sometimes I come on here and read such tosh I have to laugh.

1. When Queen started out Brians guitar playing was probably the first thing that got us into them his style was unique when compared to the likes of Page, Clapton, Townsend etc this made Queen very interesting for a new band. Remember in those days no MTV meant we had heard a lot of stuff before we actually saw the band.

2. Freddie matured as a performer in the early years but it wasn't until the Queen II tour that he really shone above many others as a great frontman.

3. You're My Best Friend was a hit because Queen fans bought it and many many other people bought it because it was an excellently structured pop song right for the time.

4. 50% of Queen is better than 0% Queen if they want to call themselves Queen, Smile or Humpy Bong I don't care so long as they continue making great music. The new tracks for 46664 were promising but I want more.

Shadow boxing with yourself just seems to get you no where!
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 17:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Innuendo was a colaboration between the 4 of them, though the lyrics were Roger's.

FM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 706 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 19:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although I agree that Queen were an equal partnership of 4 members, Freddie was the force that made the band so special and gave the band the uniqueness it became known for. I don't personally think it would have been so impossible for Queen to survive as Queen had another member decided to leave the band and Freddie was still alive and still the lead singer. I think he was the driving force and the one that made people stand up and really take notice. I'm not denying Brian, Roger or John, as each are incredible talents themselves and add a great deal to the band, as in writing and performing, but Freddie was really a one-off and really something quite special that can not be denied. It was he who really took the chances and pushed himself and the others to the limit. Remember, Smile wasn't hitting it big, no matter how good they were, and they were good!. Tim left, Freddie joined Brian and Roger, John came along and with Freddie's persistence and special uniqueness, Queen took off. Freddie was made to be a star and with such talented people with him, Queen became what it became. It can't be the same without him. No one can replace him. And, no matter how good of a singer one may be, or how good of a performer one may be, there was only one Freddie and only one Queen with Freddie in it. Even the name "Queen" was Freddie's idea! He was a very special person.

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 04, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd buy a CD from any band called Humpy Bong.

I agree. 50% of Queen is better than 0%. Just like one year of love is better than a lifetime alone.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 04, 02:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Freddie was the force that made the band so special and gave the band the uniqueness it became known for.... I think he was the driving force and the one that made people stand up and really take notice."

Yes but that's because when people noticed him, they said "Look, that's the gay singer who sings like he was in opera"! He was definitely the one who was responsible for all the publicity (both positive and negative) in the press but that doesn't automatically mean he was that important.

For me Queen were (1.) amazing guitar, (2.) harmonies, (3.) amazing voice. I've always thought Brian was responsible for the first two points and Freddie for the third? That's why I consider Brian the most important Queen member.

(And I fully agree with what Rich Tea wrote).

Hank H. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 04, 04:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Finally, in my opinion Fred was just 12.5% of Queen. Each one was. The other 50% was the force that they all four had together. So if anyone of them isn't there the percentage (in my opinion) is reduced by 62.5%. A person without 62.5% of his blood dies. So, if there isn't the four of them there's no Queen for me. As I said, it's ok for one or two songs per album, because all of them produced the tracks and aproved them and etc. But not a full album or tour of just two or three former Queen members. That's not Queen, no way (and I don't mean legally, I mean ethically)"

Oh my god... going a bit too far, don't you think? It's not a mathematical issue, and Queen is not about ethics either. I understand what you say, but I think you should reduce the trials in mathematical accuracy in your posts by at least 55,7 %.
Don't get me wrong, generally I agree.

"I'm a great believer in actually NOT giving people what they want"

Brian May, 11 March 05
Sebastian

Posted: 26 Feb 04, 05:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes I agree I went too mathematical, but my point was it in fact. Without the four of them, half of the force is lost, so there's no Queen for me.

Roger and Freddie sang way way more harmonies than Brian on studio and stage, but I agree with Martin that the distinctive Queen harmony sound comes more from Brian (compare Love Token with Is It Me or Your Kind Of Lover, in terms of vocals I mean).

In terms of performance I agree Brian contributed more to the Queen sound because a guitar solo, no matter if John, Roger or Freddie wrote it, sounds Queen-like only with the Red Special.

Innuendo in terms of writing was music by Freddie and lyrics by Freddie and Roger. Fred was more in the melody than in the actual words, he just started them off, Roger wrote the rest of them. In arrangements Brian, Dave Richards and Steve Howe also contributed, but that's not part of the actual songwriting.

S@turn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 621 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 04, 06:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<>

Hmm, Brians' guitar should make EVERY band unique :)

Well, I think that all QUeen members were important, Queen could never have become what it is without one of them and they all have their unique influence, one more in front, one more at the background.

A front man, singer, usually is in the spotlights more then the rest of the band and that is what happened with queen as well.
And it is true, Freddie did not mind publicity, and maybe some other members did not mind being a bit more in the shadow

They all had their influence and when one of us thinks that a certain member is making QUeen so special, that is a matter of personal taste, I think

H

Another fantastic posting of a wonderful person!

=================

all we need is internet-blog-blog, internet bla-bla

http://saturn.queenzone.com/

===

Let's make ourself better then we were befo