Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > "New York at Last" - Queens New York demo rebuilt and remixed...

forum rss feed
Author

smash@mash user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 0 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi there - I've just completed building a track around the very incomplete Queen demo, New York. I've tried to be true to the spirit of Queen, but I'd love to get some feedback from 'died in the wool' queen fans :o)

You can audition the track here: www.mash-ups.co.uk

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 14:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice work. VERY cool. Thanks for the pressie!!

Peace,
Adam.

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 14:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Absolutely brilliant. This deserves a formal release. I particularly loved the way you used samples. Perfectly blended and without being immediately recognizable. Superb work. :)

ilizarov user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2859 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually think this works very well. And I'm saying that as someone who doesnt like dance music at all. And the overall production sounds very professional. There will obviously be people who slag it off because its a dance track; but I say well done.

There's more to life than a bulletin board.

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 14:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blimey - you guys are fast! Thanks very much for your compliments so far!!

It has gone to Jim Beach but heard nothing as of yet. I wondered whether I was wide of the mark, which is why I wanted to get the genuine fan viewpoint.

Josuè user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1970 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As DeaconJohn, I'm not in dance music pretty much, but I must admit this song is very sweet to me. And, I still can't recognize where the samples are!! It sounds professional because you might be a professional, it is great. If you have used samples from that songs, I must say I'm impressed cause I can't find them and you've made new melodies, which is GREAT. I love the sweetness, and softness in it.
I must than you for this, I really love it. :)

An interview? Oh, don't be ridiculous...
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If I was going to be big-headed, I'd add some of my guitar stuff and speed it up. But the way it sounds now is great! Is it ok to comment like I have? :S

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 15:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm still impressed. Besides of the New York vocal stuff, where the hell is from all that vocal stuff? I mean, the lines between the New York chours. I'm very very impressed, it is a great work.

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 15:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Almost everytime I get introduced to a Queen remix I get my ears ready to expect a piece of turd, but your mix is unbelievably good. Awesome job!!

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BTW, Adam, great work with A Winter's Tale aswell! You've got a lovely voice!!!! :D

Pim Derks user is on Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 15:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very nicely done - great work :)

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 16:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, what can I say - I'm happy to find you guys so open minded.

Adam - I came here for genuine reactions so yes, please say what you think! My ultimate goal here was to produce something authentic sounding. I'm also a guitarist and believe me, it was tempting to do the stuff myself rather than cut up the guitars from Spread your wings and Save Me LOL!

Josuecifu - All the vocals came from the New York demo - perhaps you haven't heard it all? ('all' makes it sound like there's a lot more to it than there is) It's basically just one verse and one chorus with a piano accompaniment.

Thanx again for all responses

Daz85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1802 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Absoloutely fantastic!

I wasn't sure what to expect (in fact I was expecting the New York, New York piece from Highlander!), though this is really damn good. In fact, its probably the best "fan" mix I've heard.

They way Queen songs were sampled was spot on. My only slight critisism is that it sounds a tad dated - though I imagine that's the intention when you wrote on the site "1993" :-P

This is very close if not on the mark to be worthy of an official release. Hell, if they can release that "Flash" Vanguard mix from last year, they sure as hell can do this!

Also, it begs the question, what other demos can be used in this way???

Rien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I cannot believe what I'm hearing!
I must say that I have to listen to the Freddie box to hear the original again, but you did an amazing job. This reminds me of "A Little Less Conversation" by dutch dj JXL. That was also a reworked song - never released before if I'm right - and became a hit. Your mix should be released officially. I think it could use a bit more, perhaps a part where the musical arrangements change, like Freddie did in his songs and besides guitar from Brian May it would be great if samples from Roger and John were used. (if it should become a Queen release). My first thought was to write to Brian May but you said that you had contacted Jim Beach. Perhaps you should also write to Brian. The change of arrangement (I hope you'll understand what I mean) could make the song a bit more heavier, if such a thing would do this song any good. Again compliments! Would it be allright if I put the track on my download page or put a link up to your site? (don't know how long you'll keep the song available and of course you made it available first.)

Feel free to visit my site - http://www.mercuryparadise.com

(Come into my life, it's a MercuryParadise)

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Access to a studio, the original vox multitracks and Brian May himself (and Roger and John!) and then you'd get release quality :o)

Incidentally, does anyone know when the New york demo was recorded?

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 16:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I didn't send it to Brian because........erm, I don't have his address! (Surrey somewhere?).

Rien - I like the JXL connection! A link would be cool, but to the site rather than direct to the file please (gotta watch bandwidth).

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HOLLY CRAP! THAT'S SAH-WEET!!! I usually hate dance music, But this is friggin' GROOVY! Thanks! :D You should really write to Brian at his soapbox and give him the link, This is VERY good! He'd be a fool NOT to use it!

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow. No more to say except 'wow'.

Rien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never link to a song on someones site. (I've discovered that a lot of fansites have links to the actual files on my site instead of just a link to my site or downloading the tracks themselves... costing me my own bandwith - so I know what you mean)

Perhaps you should write to Brian, http://www.brianmay.com/
it shouldn't do you any wrong I guess.
Brian is always busy and planning far ahead so beware of that.

Feel free to visit my site - http://www.mercuryparadise.com

(Come into my life, it's a MercuryParadise)
ilizarov user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2859 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 04, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Your mix should be released officially."

- I agree. E-mail Brian's soapbox and see if you get a reply.

There's more to life than a bulletin board.