Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Is Brian Bitter??

forum rss feed
Author

Farlander user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 662 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 00:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not really. I think it seems that way because he uses the soapbox as an outlet to vent sometimes.

Like that March 14 one about smoking. He sure seems angry. I think he is entirely wrong, personally, but whether or not you agree with him, it seems he took the whole thing way to hard.

But I think that's just how it comes off. It's hard to get a handle on how people really are just from reading a few paragraphs, particuarly when they were written in a moment of anger or whatever.

Robin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Robin
Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 07:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He sometimes comes off as a big baby to me. It's hard to interpret the written word, I know, but he just seems to bitch about everything! "Ban smoking everywhere! Don't eat meat, signing autographs sucks, Roger talks bad about me when I'm not around", and who could forget him going off on Michael Allred. He says some interesting things and his pics are great but geez, what a whiner.

Robin

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 07:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree. Note his "I can't sing" post some months ago

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually find it quite difficult to read sometimes- boring and from time to time a bit... childish... Like those wars with tabloids or Classic Rock or other stuff...

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You'd be angry if you had that much hair too.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 08:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think he comes across as being very bitter in his Soapbox. Maybe he should vent some of that anger into some new music....

SallyJ. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 689 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 08:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I think he comes across as being very bitter in his Soapbox. Maybe he should vent some of that anger into some new music.... "

yes, I totally agree!

ilizarov user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2859 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 08:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep, he does come across as a whinging wee shite in alot of cases.

There's more to life than a bulletin board.
Merlot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"You'd be angry if you had that much hair too."
LOL

Well, I still think he's a very nice guy, with very interesting views and a very good way to tell them.

I guess what's happening to you is that you are getting to know him better. That way, he's no longer a distant God, but a human being. And thank God he's human, I couldn't live with the idea that the Red Special would be an harp or something :)

Cheers,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 08:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From the Soapbox, march 14th. Does that look bitter? :D

"About 5am last night I was finishing my E-mails and a bit of guitar playing, even... and I looked out, and lo and behold it was snowing. So beautiful, so magical - I felt like a child as I put on some warm clothes and went out walking in the garden. I could feel the snow falling on my face, see the conifer trees decorated in the exquisite tracery of newly fallen icing sugar, feel the excitement in the air, almost hear that rustling sound as the flakes gently settled on my coat, and the surrounding white landscape. I scooped up some snow, slid around a bit .... and had that big feeling of being so very lucky to be alive.... It got quite serious, the settling snow - under my feet there was a white scrunchy carpet of 2 or three inches of that amazing stuff I used to make snowmen out of. I took a couple of photo's, running around like a kid .... then went to bed, feeling very blessed...... the only shadow being the fact that I couldn't share it with my loved ones.....

In the morning all the snow was gone. IT was raining, and somehow rain, try as I might, just didn't seem so magical .... When I was a kid we used to see a lot of snow - great drifts of it, making it hard to open the door, and ponds frozen over so you could walk over them, sometimes for weeks .... have things changed so much ? It certainly seems so - global warming ? Random Fluctuations? Other effects ....? I'm inclined to think it is we who are messing things up ..... Well, at least there's still a LITTLE magic in the air....

Love Bri "

Keep Passing the Open Windows
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sometimes I like soapbox, sometimes it pisses me off. The smoking bit is bollox. How did he go on in the studio with Fred, Rog and John puffing away?? As far as a ban on smoking goes...Im a smoker and I couldnt give a shite what happens, but I dont need labelling for it!

Chom own mudder fukker.
Hank H. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 09:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, big baby is spot on. Especially his admiration for his "heroes", like his comment on the message which Clapton left on his answerphone. Maybe he wants to come across as "one of us", but especially when the next day he tries to come across as the rock hero it's a bit childish. On the one hand I like it when people are natural and say what they think, even in danger of being ridiculed, on the other hand he writes a lot of bullshit on there and I think a person in his position should have learned to keep a lot of those thoughts in private. And I do have the feeling that not everything he says is honest, there's way too much promotion which is just disgusting.

"I'm a great believer in actually NOT giving people what they want"

Brian May, 11 March 05
Spiderleg Synthia user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1190 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 09:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Hank H. The style does rather come across like an online journal or blog, where the writer pours everything they have onto the page. He seems to be treating his fans as a completely open minded, caring audience, which a lot of the time just isn't the case.

*Mwah*
Hitman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2217 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyway it's nice that a "superstar" shows his thoughts to the world without caring of opposite views.I appreciate him.

It's normal that everyone can disagree about one or more subjects...we are different from him! (my hair is very short, for example... ;)

Anything too stupid to be said... is sung.
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 10:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think he's just being human. I admire him for saying what he feels.

Brian has a lot of pressure on him all the time, and media hounding him. I wonder how any of us would sound speaking our minds if we were constantly being picked apart for every decision we make, and had cameras aimed at us everytime we tried to get away for some peace with our families.

And I agree with him 100% about smoking! I am a smoker but I didn't start until I was 23 (which is really stupid) so I know how awful it is to have to put up with the fumes. I grew up with both parents smoking and a father who was particularly non-caring and would smoke in the car with the windows all up (claiming that the ventilation/air conditioner would take care of it.. it didn't!) and wouldn't bend the slightest at my beggings to be able to breathe clean air.

Now as a smoker I am very aware of other people's feelings. I won't smoke in a restaurant even if it is permitted. If a smoker can't go a couple hours without one while they enjoy their meal then they are in need of help. If need be, step outside after your meal and come back.

And about smoking in the studio.. it did bother Brian but I guess he was too nice to say anything until when he finally did (according to Hutton's book) Freddie agreed and stopped smoking completely because it was causing him other problems anyway.

Rien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 11:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's indeed one of his outlets. Perhaps he's doing it a great bit for himself, but he's sharing it with us. I appreciate that. He has a great knowledge of things it seems, like astronomy - amazing.

Feel free to visit my site - http://www.mercuryparadise.com

(Come into my life, it's a MercuryParadise)
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 11:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Im a smoker and I couldnt give a shite what happens"

Oh, that's nice.

"I think a person in his position should have learned to keep a lot of those thoughts in private."

I thank god he doesn't! When was the last time we heard any star rant on like he does? It's both hilarious and interesting to read. Too many stars have their lips sealed because of their worry for how it'll affect their career or reputation.

My brother smokes and he's curtious enough to move to somewhere where the smoke won't annoy and won't linger. It's just being mindful of others. Which is why my hat is off to someone like Deacon Fan.
I could care less if people smoke cause that's their business. But when it bothers others in public places, it's just not a nice thing to do. I'm not agreeing with the whole banning thing going on, but it does give places like restaurants a nicer atmosphere.

Peace,
Adam.

Robin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Robin
Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 12:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was a smoker and now am a non smoker....20 years now, so I know what he's saying. It's the way he says it. Next time he will say something and if that doesn't work he'll take "further action?!" WTH? If smoking is legal in the retauraunt he visits then what the heck is he talking about?
I have been in smokey places, if it gets to me I leave. I hate it when people shove their beliefs in your face. He chose the wrong place to eat, plain and simple. Until they ban smoking in restaraunts, he'll have to deal.

Robin

Dr Zoidberg user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 04, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He very often comes across as whiny and somewhat childish, and while I usually enjoy his remarks about music and science, he seems to be painfully naive and uninformed about a lot of other subjects. Like many people with views similar to his own, he's all in favor of free expression and dissent except when it comes to a subject he feels strongly about. Then eveyone of the opposite view is a villain and must be stopped - by the power of the state where necessary and possible. I'm glad he's a musician and not a politician and I hope he gets back to being a musician instead of whatever it is he's doing now (theater promoter? professional cause organizer and spokesman? burgeoning multimedia baron?). How about just making some music again?

Hoo-RAY!