Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > 46664 DVD complaints

forum rss feed
Author

Mr. Teatime user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 114 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Apr 04, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's out in the UK today, I'm thinking of forwarding this to Brian - the concert has been HEAVILY 'tweaked'. So most of the songs are there, but there is a load of editing out of mistakes. I dont know how common practise this is, but Roger's 'say it aint so' has been edited - it soudns as if a few words have been re-recorded (eg. 'magic potions for lives' has been changed to 'magic cocktails for lives', dont know why). Brian's guitar solos have been changed slightly (TSMGO has its solo changed to edit out things that could be seen as mistakes)... the woman who sang I Want To Break Free has a first verse now (though this might have been mic problems on the night).... extra drum rolls have been added (The Show Must Go On has one just before the break to the major part of the song that Roger doesn't appear to play and definately isn't in the recording I have of the original concert).... really annoying and it just detracts from the whole experience when it's all been 'glossed over' to make it appear like a studio album. Anyone else annoyed by this?

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 04, 16:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This reminds me of a certain "two" versions of Somebody To Love from the Tribute concert - one complete with Brian's mistake during the solo and the other without.

They should just leave things as is, especially after we've already seen the original broadcast version.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
RMT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 621 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 04, 18:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I suspected some tweaking, I believe that Amandla has maybe been cleaned up too. Some stuff can be made to sound better simply by mixing properly from a raw audio feed of each channel, but some stuff obviously has been re-recorded here. I don't understand why-it's live not a studio creation. However, I'm not sure how much this DVD was actually produced by Brian and Roger, although Jim Beach had a big hand in it.

"Tangerine wishes, rainbows that colour the love parade"
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 04, 21:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmm... First of all, most live releases are edited and overdubbed. So why are you picking at this release? If you didn't know then, fair enough. But it's a common practice.

Peace,
Adam.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 04, 23:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

Hmm... First of all, most live releases are edited and overdubbed. So why are you picking at this release? If you didn't know then, fair enough. But it's a common practice.

Peace,
Adam.

Yeah, that's just what I was about to say. Just about every live album in history has been overdubbed to some degree... so get used to it, if you already aren't!

And I'm unaware of the STL overdub at the FM Tribute. Where can I find the original version with the mistake?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Daz85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1802 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 04, 04:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The original STL can be found on Flix III.

Jamie Reston user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 04, 07:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well just wait for live aid, they'll probably change is this the world we created ;-)

I suck your mind, you blow my head
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 04, 08:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Probably that's also the reason why we are not seeing any unreleased before shows... Too many things to change...

rhapsody__87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 971 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 04, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jamie Reston-- what happened at Live Aid with ITTWWC? I haven't seen that yet. (Can't wait for the DVD though!)

Also-- this is for anyone-- I'm downloading the Milton Keynes concert now and I'm up to FBG where Freddie's voice cracks (and I winced when I heard it... poor Freddie)-- if this is the next concert for release, do you think they would edit that somehow? I feel BAD! :o(

...Erica*

"I don't judge others. I say if you feel good with what you're doing, let your freak flag fly."

--Sarah Jessica Parker
[StArMaN] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 04, 12:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ITTWWC was ruined by importants sound problems. Somebody forgot to turn off a microphone and we can hear somebody else speaking very loud during Freddie and Brian performance. They look very annoyed and Brian seems to be angry (quite understandable)

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 04, 12:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Also-- this is for anyone-- I'm downloading the Milton Keynes concert now and I'm up to FBG where Freddie's voice cracks (and I winced when I heard it... poor Freddie)-- if this is the next concert for release, do you think they would edit that somehow? I feel BAD! :o( "

Why poor Freddie?
Maybe you forgot Freddie was a human, and humans have voice problems when they use their vocal chords a lot,

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)

Posted: 06 Apr 04, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I somehow remembered that Freddie is human... but I still felt bad. Is that allowed here?

...Erica*

"I don't judge others. I say if you feel good with what you're doing, let your freak flag fly."

--Sarah Jessica Parker
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 04, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"The original STL can be found on Flix III."

Awesome, thanks Darren! I've never listened to that version, because I didn't think it was anything different. :P

"if this is the next concert for release, do you think they would edit that somehow?"

Of course they would. They have the soundboard audio of every show from the tour. But his voice cracking is no big deal, as Niek said. They're thinking about releasing a Live Killers (early 79) concert on DVD, and during that time period, Freddie's voice cracked tonnes throughout almost every show. I doubt they will release early 79 shows, but later 79 shows are a good possibility. Does anyone know if any shows (besides London 12-26-79 of course) were filmed?

Freddie sang about 100 shows a year, so he was bound to have a crappy tour eventually. It was the Jazz tour. It's still my favourite tour, though... favourite setlist.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 06 Apr 04, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That would be great to see a concert from 79-- it's the one I'm most curious about since the crowds on the Live Killers album have such a great response!

Now, I feel really dumb but let me just get this straight-- The Jazz Tour is the same as the Live Killers tour which is the same as the Crazy Tour but just in different places, right? :-X

...Erica*

--Sarah Jessica Parker
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 04, 14:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Yes, I somehow remembered that Freddie is human... but I still felt bad. Is that allowed here?"

No, it isn't! And you should be beaten within an inch of your life for having compassion!!! ;D

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel

Posted: 06 Apr 04, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Danno, the sarcasm, the sarcasm... is THAT allowed? Haha :-D

...Erica*

--Sarah Jessica Parker
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 04, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hammersmith 26-12-79- my dream would come true

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 04, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Danno, the sarcasm, the sarcasm... is THAT allowed? Haha :-D"

God... I sure hoe so! :O

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 04, 14:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Danno, the sarcasm, the sarcasm... is THAT allowed? Haha :-D "

:D

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)

Posted: 06 Apr 04, 14:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Like what I mean by the 'sarcasm' comment is that some people feel offended when a person who has been here for quite some time is mean to a newbie.

I think it's really funny though! Am I even still considered a newbie at almost 200 posts?

...Erica*

--Sarah Jessica Parker