Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Brand New Queen Album?

forum rss feed
Author

Rich Tea user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Apr 04, 13:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Considering the buzz New York caused and an answer to a letter on Brians website found at the link below. It looks as if providing the time can be found Brian & Roger are going to record a new album using a mix of very new stuff and some older Freddie stuff! I hope they can persuade John to get involved.

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/letters/lettersapr04.html

Maybe they have found some stuff in the archive which they would like to work on ala made in heaven? IMO that would be much better than a half arsed elitist box set featuring loads of half finished songs. I still would prefer the box set to nothing but I would much prefer this and a series of concert dvd's from all the tours?

Shadow boxing with yourself just seems to get you no where!
Brian's sweet sister user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 311 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 04, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wow, sounds cool :)

"Take me to the room where the reds all red take me outta my head, that's what I said"
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 04, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I've always thought that they'd do the same as the Beatles anthology way. They'd do up a couple of old demos and put them out as new singles to promote the sets. So, I do think it's inevitable. But a whole new album of new songs and demos? Sounds weird considering Brian's response to the letter. Even weirder is that Brian vowed never to do that kind of thing again after Made In Heaven.

But it's very interesting news that's for sure!

Peace,
Adam.

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 04, 17:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If they were to come up with something HALF as good as Made In Heaven, Then, I'm all for it! :D

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 11 Apr 04, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to admit that I have a soft spot for the MIH album. Not my introduction to Queen. But the first album that I bought and loved.

So yeah, I'd love something like it to appear on the horizon.

Adam.

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 04, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Even weirder is that Brian vowed never to do that kind of thing again after Made In Heaven."

Two comments:
First, Brian also said around 1998 that he would never be a part of Queen again since his solo career afforded him too much freedom. It's fair to say that Brian can, will, and has changed his mind before, so perhaps he'll do it in this case.

Second, reading Brian's comment, I don't think it's anything new, really. He basically said that they're in the mind set to re-record some old stuff, and that's essentially what the musical, Farnham, and the Pepsi ad have been doing. He didn't particularly mention old demos or Freddie solo material, so I think it's a stretch to assume that's what they'll do (though I, like many of you, would love to have new "Queen" material as opposed to another version of WWRY).

DJ's the man we love the most
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 04, 17:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian answer doesnt leave me with despair but it doesnt exactly fill me with a lot of hope either. And besides that, there is the added problem of John - would he be interested?

Dave

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
fairydandy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 232 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 04, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When you couple those comments with these, it starts to tell a story perhaps. These were Brian's comments when asked about the boxed sets on Virgin radio:

"Yeah. I think they will. We talk about it the whole time, you know. I have my own studio down in the country and this stuff goes on the whole time. We have a guy called Greg, who does our archiving and almost every day he comes across something which is of interest, which maybe could be worked on. Actually there's something that came up the other day, which someone, which a fan had done a version of, you know, and we thought "Mmm that's very interesting. Maybe we should look at that again." Eventually, yes, there will be a box set, and I think it will be fun over the next few years just occasionally to take out a fragment and work on it, 'cos the technology you have these days is so wonderful, you know, with ProTools and everything. You can rescue one little tiny fragment of vocal and build on it and that's what almost all the Made In Heaven album was. It's vocals with everything added on afterwards, although it sounds like we're all in the studio having fun. It never happened".

Hank H. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 04, 08:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been tired of this babbling a long time ago. Brian didn't say anything substantial in a long time, and even if he ever does say anything of importance again, it doesn't mean he will ever do anything new or even interesting. His comments and interviews are petty, boring, a waste of time. Whenever I think of the self-praising and promotional background of every single of his utterances I'm getting even more sick.

"I'm a great believer in actually NOT giving people what they want"

Brian May, 11 March 05
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 12 Apr 04, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well gee Hank, what is a person to do when they're on radio for promotional reasons? Talk about someone else? lol

IMO he does say a lot of things worth hearing.

"His comments and interviews are petty, boring, a waste of time."

What interviews have you been listening to?

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 12 Apr 04, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If he doesn't do new music, tours etc: shut up, do it like Deacon or at least like Roger, cash in but don't pretend you want to do anything else.
If he talks about "new projects" ("maybe - interesting - we are thinking about it - we should - we could - in our heads all the time - we will perhaps - we will eventually - next few years - a lot to do... ad nauseam): stop talkin about it, start doing it.
His pretending, that's what I find really annoying.

Brian May, 11 March 05
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 04, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thats bullshit Hank.

New projects doesn't mean a tour as Queen or releasing box sets. New projects can mean, a new pepsi commercial, a concert for the Mandela fund, a recording with some talentless boyband and so on.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)

Posted: 12 Apr 04, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No. In most, if not all interviews he is asked if they will produce new Queen music, record an album together, play concerts... and he always manages to make people believe that anything like this may eventually happen in the near future, hence topics like this one, which pop up frequently.
I don't give a fuck for the "projects" you mentioned, and even there he doesn't say anything honest besides "this Britney collaboration was brilliant, fantastic, breathtaking... I learned so much etc. pp."
Roger instead at least says "it was a mistake".

Brian May, 11 March 05
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 12 Apr 04, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did you tell us to "shut up"? Why so negative, Hank? Can't you just be happy for people like Brian? Or other zoners that want to talk about this kind of topic?

"His pretending, that's what I find really annoying."

I don't think any one of us can ever say that. He does seem to enjoy what he's doing. His website covers that. And we all know that he posts his true feelings on that site, don't we!

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 12 Apr 04, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Did you tell us to shut up?"

No, of course not, I was referring to Brian. Speculate as much as you like, all I'm gonna do is put my oar in!

"Why so negative, Hank?"

Good question... :) I have to admit, I like to be negative about Queen on this board because I like to add some criticism to all the praising, just to be constructive. But nowadays everybody easily finds more than enough reasons to bash Queen, so maybe I should change my strategy?
Last but not least, because I felt it was appropriate.

Brian May, 11 March 05
Rich Tea user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 04, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Im sure Brian will do what Brian wants to do yes I posted this because I read a little between the lines. I like the idea and hope it happens but come on I waited 4 years for MIH and neither Brian or Roger are getting any younger!

Shadow boxing with yourself just seems to get you no where!
Kuku user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 04, 00:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Good question... :) I have to admit, I like to be negative about Queen on this board because I like to add some criticism to all the praising, just to be constructive."

Hahaha, good reason!

Goodbye April lady, It's been good to have you around - Goodbye April lady, You've done a lot for the folks in this town...
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 04, 05:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"and even there he doesn't say anything honest besides "this Britney collaboration was brilliant, fantastic, breathtaking... I learned so much etc. pp.""

Maybe Brian thought it was brilliant, fantastic and had a great time working with her.
If you played a song with Brian, and it sucks, i bet you think it's brilliant, fantastic aswell

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 04, 06:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm always a little surprised that MIH is such a favourite with everyone. I don't dislike it, and I like hearing the Queen style versions of Heaven 4 everyone, IWBTLY and TMLWKY, but still always feel like its not a complete Queen album because these songs were originally solo songs. I was never sure if they re-recorded the vocals for H4E and IWBTLY and when the vocal for TMLWKY were done. it now seems that Brian effectively put it all together from outakes, which is not really surprising. Fred was amazing to have managed to record the new tracks.

So, with regard to a new album, it would be interesting if it was Queen material from outtakes, but I feel it should form part of the box set releases rather than an official "new album".

As for Brian's comments: He does seem to promise lots and not deliver, but the problem is he likes to have a lot of input into these projects, and obviously enjoys it. Of course we want the box sets and of course we want them to play live more (either solo or as a variation of Queen), but Brian can only do so much, and he will do what he wants. I can't blame him for that at all. He's got a life too, and he does do a lot for the fans, even if we don't all appreciate it all.

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
Nathalie_queenfan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 99 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 04, 07:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let the new album come
:-)
Lol....

Nathalie Versteeg

my MSN address is my e-mail address!!!

bye!!!