Forums > Personal > Me and Mr. Johnson

forum rss feed
Author

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Apr 04, 06:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hiya all! I was just wondering if any of you have had the chance to hear Eric Clapton's new album of blues covers? If you have, How is it? Thanks in advance! :D

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 04, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Aerosmith (Honkin' On Bobo) Vs Clapton (Me & Mr. Johnson)

Since Clapton is the blues man, I think he might probably do a better job when it comes to blues covers. Aerosmith is still better at rocking though.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Wreckage user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 759 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 04, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'Honkin' on Bobo'... s'alright I s'pose. I particularly like the covers of 'Roadrunner', 'Baby please don't go' and 'Jesus is on the mainline'. I know I like the sound of the rest of the album, but as I am not familiar with the originals I cannot say whether Aero have done a good job on covering them or not. I was slightly disappointed at the production job howver. I can still hear elements of later, airbrushed, MTV-era Aerosmith. Maybe I expected something grittier because of the material and because Jack Douglas was back as producer.

Clapton? I only cared about him when he was in 'Cream' and 'Derek and the Dominoes'.

If you can't beat them with brains, beat them with bullshit
Daburcor?

Posted: 17 Apr 04, 01:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As far as Aerosmith go, I'm not interested in the least. I don't like them. ;p I guess I'll just have to buy the Clapton CD and see for myself.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 04, 06:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its not too bad - theres some good guitar in places but its pretty slow (or faithful to the originals may be better :-) and it does get a bit samey. But if you like your old American blues, its great!

I'm not a huge fan of Clapton really, in my league of guitarists hes overratted.

(Waits to be slapped :-)

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
Daburcor?

Posted: 23 Apr 04, 06:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just got this album and am listening to it now, I quite like it! Clapton sounds as good as ever. I'm glad his voice held up! :D