Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Worst use of synths on a Queen songs

forum rss feed
Author

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Apr 04, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know many of you guys hate synths, but the truth is that most of the time Queen used their syths in a proper way. Yet still, there are a couple of songs where Queen should have never used synths.

If I had to name which song has the worst use of synths that would have to be 'Play The Game'. The intro is awfuly cheesy and those cheap sci-fi flick sounds totally ruined Brian's awesome guitar solo.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
[StArMaN] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 04, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm with you on this song. What an awfull intro !! I can't understand why they did it this way... But apart of this intro, it's still a great song;

rhapsody__87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 971 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 04, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with 'Play The Game' also. It's blatant that they used synths but it goes pretty well with the video. Okay. The video is pretty corny too... but, ah, whatever. :-)

...Erica*

"I don't judge others. I say if you feel good with what you're doing, let your freak flag fly."

--Sarah Jessica Parker
MexQueenFM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 13266 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 04, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Radio Ga Ga

Mejor yo me hecho una chela, y chance enchufo una chava, chambeando de chafirete, me sobra chupe y pachanga

Tranzando de arriba a abajo, hay va la chilanga banda , chinchin si me la recuerdan
August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 561 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 04, 17:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree. Play The Game sounds much better in concerts, when Brian's guitar is more aggressive and there's no synth intro.

I'm with those approx. 90% of Queen fans who say that Hot Space is just too much. However there are good song on that album as well, with decent use of synhts.

The best use of synths on the other hand. Definately, Machines. It just fits to the lyrics, a battle between the machines and humans.

[StArMaN] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 04, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Synths use is good when synths does not sound like synths. Songs like A Kind Of Magic or The Miracle are good examples IMHO.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 04, 17:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hammer to Fall, totally unnessecary (sp?)

And all of the synths in live shows between 82-86

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Brian's sweet sister user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 311 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 04, 18:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well the intro for play the game is a bit annoying and long, I usually end up fast fowarding it to the singing LOL. But the rest of the synths in the song I quite like, it sounds kinda cool. Brian's guitar solo is bold anyway, it goes over the synths.

"Take me to the room where the reds all red take me outta my head, that's what I said"
Brian's sweet sister user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 311 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 04, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken wrote:

Hammer to Fall, totally unnessecary (sp?)

And all of the synths in live shows between 82-86

yer I think the correct spelling would be: unnecessary. LOL I am always correcting spellings

"Take me to the room where the reds all red take me outta my head, that's what I said"
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 04, 18:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The synth guitar solo on 'I Want To Break Free'.

However, the background synths which were used to create the intro for the extended mix (and then the single version) are very nice. Simple, yet nice. They were done on a Roland Jupiter 8 by Fred Mandel.

PS- Interestingly, the synth intro to 'Play The Game' was originally stored separately from the main song on the master tape.

(http://www.brianmay.com/queen/thegame/technical2.html)

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 04, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Synths that I really hate - Play The Game - intro & pre-solo, Hammer To Fall, and Body Language - in one of the pre-choruses

Synths that IMO sounded ok but I`d have preferred John doing that with real bass:

Breakthru
Body Language
Dancer -with slap technique it would have sounded so good
Staying Power - even if he did a loop, but the sound of a Fender is unique
Radio Ga Ga - ditto

I like the trick in Pain Is So Close: bass is done in synths during the intro but just when the voice begins it changes to a human one. The effect is very ear-pleasing to me. I also love the use of bass in Invisible Man, a clever combination of human & machine.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Kuku user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 04, 21:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All use of synth in Innuendo is good... like Don't Try So Hard or I'm Going Slightly Mad.

Goodbye April lady, It's been good to have you around - Goodbye April lady, You've done a lot for the folks in this town...
Sebastian

Posted: 24 Apr 04, 03:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don`t like synth-drums in I Can`t Live With You either.

There`s still the everlasting "how would have sounded that album with piano and acoustic guitar" thing.

Some Mozart-esque piano playing by Freddie would have been awesome in tracks like Don`t Try So Hard and Bijou.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 04, 04:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The main song that I love the synths on is Football Fight. Catchy as all heck!

Man Made Paradise
BornToBeKings user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts

Posted: 03 May 04, 16:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with you Mr. FredM. One of Queen's greatest qualities is that they were willing to branch out into a myriad of musical styles and take risks with their core fanbase in order to explore a more diverse catalogue. That's what makes Queen so great...you can't pigeonhole them into one specific sound or genre: their diversity was one of their main strengths and made them infinitely more entertaining. Think about it...if you listened to country or swing for hours and hours and hours you'd eventually be dying to hear something different. Queen kept it fresh, and that's what matters.

At the same time, I think it's OK to like or dislike particular albums or tracks--everyone's got a preference. You don't have to love each and every song to love Queen. Opinions are really what drive a message board such as this: it would be quite boring if everyone agreed on everything.

Anyway, to reply to the actual thread, I think the synths weren't used as well in songs on The Miracle album. Those synth strings on "The Miracle" are just too bright for my taste and it gets kind of cheesy. Also, the synth on "Invisible Man" makes it sound a bit too "kiddie." I sometime cringe when I hear the intro to that song.

And I have an unrelated (but important) question: does anyone know why I always get an error when I try to reply to or create a topic on the "new" board? What I mean is that from the homepage, I have to click on something that will take me to a section that's still up from before the site was redesigned, and then go to the notice board before I can post anything. I'd appriciate if anyone can help me with this. Thanks.

Got a fire down below/I'm just a regular dynamo
geeksandgeeks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4296 posts

Posted: 03 May 04, 20:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm a big fan of synths used properly (I've been using them a lot myself, my band just got its hands on a drummer), and I can't really think of a Queen song where I don't like their usage.

But if I had to pick one, it would probably be "Staying Power". I love the song, but the sex simulation thing is just a bit too much.

God wants you to send me some money.

"Seven spades doubled, vulnerable, making seven? You BITCH."
Sebastian

Posted: 03 May 04, 20:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On Staying Power there`s no sexsimulation whatsoever, I think you mean Body Language. I don`t like the use of synth-bass at all. Or yes I like it but I prefer a million times to have a bass-player. Just imagine for instance Staying Power, John playing those fast fills and ocassionally doing his Deaky licks, it`d be much cooler than that monotone riff over and over again

D.Blythe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 581 posts

Posted: 04 May 04, 01:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Best use of synths? "Football Fight"

Worst? All on the album "Mr. Bad Guy"

"Hot Space" gets an honorable mention for worst use, but I would have loved to have heard more "real" instruments on "Mr. Bad Guy". Both "Bad Guy" and "Hot Space" suffer from a lack of a "live" feel and too much production. After watching "Staying Power" on the GVH2 dvd, I wish Queen would have integrated more of their rock sound into the dance/r&b groove. That album could have ruled '82!

P.S. I know that "Bad Guy" is not a Queen album, but it represents to me what can happen when someone suffers from synthesizer addiction.

FAHRENHEIT 911

"Truth is the greatest of all national possessions. A state, a people, a system which suppresses the truth or fears to publish it, deserves to collapse" Kurt Eisner

Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 04 May 04, 01:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

D. Blythe- It's good to see someone else mention Football Fight! The synth in that song fits the scene in the movie perfectly. I always liked that after you hear Freddie's synth run, John follows with some bass, then Roger taps on the cymbals, then Brian lets a mini-riff go. All four members show off in a span of about 8 seconds! Fantastic.

Man Made Paradise