Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Why not a concert after 1986?

forum rss feed
Author

Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 May 04, 07:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know that Freddie had AIDS and was in bad condition and blah, blah, blah. Still, a one hour fan club concert in 1988 or 1989 or something like that wouldn't have been too much to ask for. I really wonder why Freddie didn't want to perform one more time, before it all would end.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Robin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Robin
Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 06 May 04, 07:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By 1988-89 it was very obvious something was wrong with him. I'm sure he didn't want people to see him that way and he probably did not have the energy to give 100% to the audience. We all know it was all or nothing with Freddie!

Robin

Nuno user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 285 posts

Posted: 06 May 04, 08:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah - if you look back to the video's for I want it all, Breathru ,etc,etc

It was obviuos he looked ill then, and that is after everything they coud do in video editing to make him look better

I'm sure if there was a small remote change of a gig round the Mircale - they would have done it

And again looking back - this is the first time Queen never toured after releasing an album - that says it all to me

back off with your Megaton
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2390 posts

Posted: 06 May 04, 08:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seems pretty bloody obvious to me, the magic tour was the biggest they had ever done, with the biggest stage and biggest crowds, so if your going to bow out why go out with something small like a pub gig for the fan club.
Surely it's better to have your final concert at Knebworth than the Kings Arms!

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
jeff payne 1680 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 711 posts

Posted: 06 May 04, 08:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kings arms would have been good though it's my local

jeffpayne56@msn.com
Sicmot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 06 May 04, 09:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually.. there was a consert after -86.. alongisde the Time musical..

"Freddie liked the stage-production of "Time" so much that
he actually appeared live in the musical on April 14th
1988 at the Dominion Theatre in London West End.It was a
charity-gala (called "Give To For AIDS") and he appeared
together with Cliff Richard and Laurence Olivier. All
funds that were raised went into the Terence Higgins
Trust.Freddie performed four songs: "Born To
Rock'n'Roll", "In My Defence", "Time" and "It's In
Everyone Of Us". It was his first and only solo-live-
performance EVERY (the two with Montserrat Caballe were
mimed).
One of the first people who heard the completed "Time" -
album was Sir Laurence Olivier (as Dave Clark played it
to him). When "In My Defence" was over,he said: "What a
performance! THIS is a real actor"

God created man from dust, man replied with sin and lust..
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 06 May 04, 11:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, what a great consert!

Chom own mudder fukker.
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 06 May 04, 12:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

" I know that Freddie had AIDS and was in bad condition and blah, blah, blah. Still, a one hour fan club concert in 1988 or 1989 or something like that wouldn't have been too much to ask for."

Funniest post ever.

I wish more dying artists would be considerate of their fans' wishes. Producing new material such as Barcelona, The Miracle, Innuendo, and MIH while trying to remain healthy or even improve was obviously not enough for some.

DJ's the man we love the most
D.Blythe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 581 posts

Posted: 06 May 04, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can understand why there was no concert (consert? wtf?) appearance after '86. Even if Freddie had not fallen ill, he probably wanted a break or at least a chance to do something different tour-wise after the bombastic Magic tour. My question is; why no North American dates on the Magic tour? Surely it was Queen's chance to win over an American audience after the "I Want To Break Free" cross-dressing thing. If "The Works" was Queen's first album for Capitol in the states, Capitol could not have been happy that Queen did not tour to support their second album under the deal. I do not like to think that Queen gave up on America, but why the extensive European tour at venues where they had already proven themselves? I agree with the earlier post; you do not want to go out with a small fan club or small venue concert after Knebworth, but if it is your biggest tour, your last tour, why not play America or Japan for that matter. Was there supposed to be another leg on the tour?

FAHRENHEIT 911

"Truth is the greatest of all national possessions. A state, a people, a system which suppresses the truth or fears to publish it, deserves to collapse" Kurt Eisner

jeff payne 1680 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 711 posts

Posted: 06 May 04, 13:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also after the Knebworth concert Freddie said to Brian never again which was unusal according to Brian as on past tours Freddie was the one who wanted to go on for more shows, so perhaps Freddie was starting to feel the effects of the terrible illness which took him from us 5 years later, we can only guess

jeffpayne56@msn.com
thanks freddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
thanks freddie
Bohemian: 324 posts

Posted: 06 May 04, 14:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because he was ill, he couldn't do a big tour like the magic tour. It was to tence for him, and it took a lot of his fisical strengh and that was a big problem.

His illness was so demanding that putting on a show for one and a half hour was to much.

Thats the reason he didn't want to go on a big tour.

He also wanted to record as much as possible before we would die, wich he did.

Michel

www.vrienden.wordpress.com

My personal DUTCH blog

Posted: 06 May 04, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The New and Improved Zeni wrote:

" I know that Freddie had AIDS and was in bad condition and blah, blah, blah. Still, a one hour fan club concert in 1988 or 1989 or something like that wouldn't have been too much to ask for."

Funniest post ever.

I wish more dying artists would be considerate of their fans' wishes. Producing new material such as Barcelona, The Miracle, Innuendo, and MIH while trying to remain healthy or even improve was obviously not enough for some.

Well, if I were a dying artist, I would certainly be interested in a "farewell gig" while I'm still able to do it (1988). Just some acoustic stuff or something like that.

Robin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Robin
Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 06 May 04, 15:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perhaps The Magic tour was his farewell gig. We just didn't know it. I for one would not like to see Freddie just sitting on a piano bench or sitting on a stool singing for a whole show......that was not Queen. Oh, and until you're dying I don't think you can say what you will feel up to doing. Sometimes getting up is major event.

Robin

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 06 May 04, 17:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, just pretend he actually died in 1986 and then all of the material after that will be like.. man, he's singing from beyond! How cool!!! But then I guess some would want a concert from beyond too. You just can't win!

Posted: 06 May 04, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Please don't forget that instead of "just dying", Freddie recorded stuff right until the end. This is the reason why I ask my question. He didn't want to stop.

That point about the 1986 tour being his farewell tour was very good. Maybe he knew or felt that he was sick already then...

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 06 May 04, 18:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Please don't forget that instead of "just dying", Freddie recorded stuff right until the end. This is the reason why I ask my question. He didn't want to stop."

Sorry, I don't see your point. I think recording at your own pace and performing a concert are, oh...quite different!
Freddie had been quoted as saying that he wasn't keen on doing concerts into his late years. He thought it would be funny seeing himself running about on stage in his late forties. Who has the quote written down? lol

Peace,
Adam.

suckerpunch user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 0 posts

Posted: 06 May 04, 20:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ive just registered here... so im a newbie...... im 28 & been a queen since i was 4 so its a long time. I cant honestly believe there are people questioning why there were no tours after 86 even one off shows.

Freddie new after Knebworth that was it, after all he had to be coaxed into doing the Magic Tour in the first place. He said so himself in a fan club magazine which he wrote in late 86 after his holiday in Japan.

The reasons for the tour not going to the USA they hadnt toured since 82 there & were too busy in Europe selling out stadiums to notice.

I guess no one knew it was the last tour but hadnt Freddie got ill, Queen may have gone their seperate ways, but its well document on the wembley gig & knebworth about Queen splitting up & Freddie say the oppostie so he knew, what he maybe facing & wanted to go out at the top.

Freddie said in an interview just before the magic tour "there will come a time when i wont be able to run around stage anymore, but music will always be a part of me" end of story.

Freddie could have retired & disappeared to Montreux & lived the rest of his life there, but he busied himself in solo stuff & the final Queen albums. I for one wouldnt swap that for a one off gig & in 1987 or 88 when he may be been just able to do it.

dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 06 May 04, 21:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If they'd done that last small gig then people would have been wondering why there weren't any more after that.

Hell, they did over 600 concerts, be happy with that ! :-)

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 06 May 04, 22:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Well, if I were a dying artist, I would certainly be interested in a "farewell gig" while I'm still able to do it (1988)"

Obviously, your priorities are different than most people.

DJ's the man we love the most
The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts

Posted: 07 May 04, 03:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A tour cost a lot of time and energy. Maybe it was more important to Freddie to finish The Miracle and Innuendo album and some other stuff. He had to make decisions.

I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY