Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Anyone wonder why was Freddie getting kinda chubby around 1987?

forum rss feed
Author

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 May 04, 13:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been thinking that he knew by then that he had AIDS, and perhaps due to all the side effects of the medicine he was taking, he got a little husky.
Or perhaps he thought that when the illness was going to star developing he would start losing weight, and he decided to purposely put on some weight.

Sounds silly. But can someone answer this.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 11 May 04, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was the AIDS medication

DJ's the man we love the most
Brandon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1803 posts

Posted: 11 May 04, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I assumed he began dressing to appear heavier in an attempt to cover the ever-growing visual symptoms of his disease. Did that play any role?

rhapsody__87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 971 posts

Posted: 11 May 04, 20:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always thought it was due to meds but maybe because by the time the Magic Tour rolled around, he was pushing 40 and his body was probably changing as a result of maturing. You know? Hmm...

...Erica*

"I don't judge others. I say if you feel good with what you're doing, let your freak flag fly."

--Sarah Jessica Parker
rhapsody__87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 971 posts

Posted: 12 May 04, 17:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was anyone else going to reply to this topic because I'm sure it could've generated a nice amount of conversation!

...Erica*

"I don't judge others. I say if you feel good with what you're doing, let your freak flag fly."

--Sarah Jessica Parker
Sicmot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 12 May 04, 18:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie got weight by over eating and looked bulky and full because he knew he would loose weight eventually and he started to loose weight quite rapidly during -87 due to hiv.. so he ate more than he normally would have consumed. thus he looked well yet early in -89. altough it was short lived and after the disease progressed to full blown aids.. he felt more sick and he lost most of his apetite.. therefore loosing the extra weight quickly during -89.

Its was also part of denial.. he loved himself the way he was excluding his teeth ;) and wanted to preserve the look he had in his vivid days.

The medication itself.. (AZT that is) did mostly affect to his appearance facially.. lipohydstromy (loosing the fat in face) took place.. but not before mid -89
after the illness had burnt all the extra fat from his body. It didnt affect to his voice anyway.. to my best knowledge I have for this illness..

My best guess into what changed his voice was 1) vodka & smoking 2) aging 3) complications in his thoat brought up by the virus itself, not the medication.

God created man from dust, man replied with sin and lust..
Banquo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Banquo
Deity: 2636 posts

Posted: 13 May 04, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was glandular.

Guess who's back?
geeksandgeeks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4296 posts

Posted: 13 May 04, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never really noticed.

God wants you to send me some money.

"Seven spades doubled, vulnerable, making seven? You BITCH."
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 13 May 04, 22:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I never really noticed either. I mean, he looked slightly more filled out in '86 than in '82, but everybody's body changes over time. I understand that he would want to put on weight, though.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

frejorobri user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 260 posts

Posted: 25 Jul 04, 04:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I'm not afraid to speak out and say the things I want and do the things I want,so um,I think in the end that being natural and quite genuine is what wins." Freddie Mercury
Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 25 Jul 04, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Looked like he was on some sort of cortisteroid to me. It makes some people indeed "puff up", especially the face (and Freddie's had that classic "moon-faced" look). His beautiful eyes were almost lost in his face due to the bloating from the drugs!
His body didn't appear too bloated and puffy...look at the Barcelona videos, then look at the Miracle videos (especially the Scandal video)...a definite change, very deflated by then. And after that, he began dropping so much weight that he had to pad his clothing to look normal.

the oppositionist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 882 posts

Posted: 25 Jul 04, 18:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ive been told that in that particular stage of the disease the body retains more water and fat and later it begins to fall drastically. its just another side effect.

melinadeacon@queenzone.com
frejorobri user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 260 posts

Posted: 25 Jul 04, 22:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I'm not afraid to speak out and say the things I want and do the things I want,so um,I think in the end that being natural and quite genuine is what wins." Freddie Mercury