Forums > Personal > Nick Berg tribute site

forum rss feed
Author

FreddiesGhettoTrench user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1624 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 May 04, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello everyone! Sorry for the mass-messaging! I am making a tribute site to Nick Berg, the U.S. civilian who was murdered in Iraq. I did not know Mr. Berg, but since he was from my county I felt it was my duty to make a tribute.

I request submittions: poems, eugolies (sp?), artwork, etc. Please keep in mind these rules:

1. NO mentions of the way Mr. Berg was killed, please.
2. NO politics: war, anti-war, it's not the matter here. If we start politics, people will start fighting, and SOMEONE will bring up abortion. It always happens.
3. No "revenge" mentions... We all want to catch his killers, but dwelling on his murder is NOT going to work for a remembrence site.
4. If you are from the state of Pennsylvania, please put an * next to your name, and if you are from the Delaware County area, please put ** next to your name, because this area is where Mr. Berg was from.

Disclaimers:

1. I am not associated with Mr. Berg or his family, and should his family wish me to end this site at any time, I will do so.
2. Any and all submittions to this website are reviewed by Sarajane Elizabeth Sein, and, should she find your submittion inappropriate in any regard, she has the full right to refuse it, as does (do) any future webmaster(s).

Please send any and all submittions either to this e-mail or (preferably) to nickbergtribute@yahoo.com. Thank you!

"Brian May, Freddie will."
-fatty- 2850 user not visiting Queenzone.com
-fatty- 2850
Deity: 2029 posts

Posted: 13 May 04, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't want to this to be taken the wrong way and I am sure your heart is in the right place but what's the point?
You didn't know the guy, he did nothing worthy of notice other than die in the most horrible circumstances and you don't even want to discuss the utter futility of his death.
I have nothing but the deepest sympathy for Mr Berg's family but it would be hypocritical of me to pay tribute to a guy I didn't know.
I used to know a guy way back in the eighties called Eddie Salenzi. He died in pretty much the same way as Mr Berg. He had a broken ashtray plunged into his neck and drowned in his own blood.
A couple of years ago my next door neighbour was murdered. He was stabbed in the throat by his girlfriend yet it never made the 9 o'clock news.
Only a few short weeks ago, a woman who's daughter attends the same primary school as my eldest daughter had her head caved in by her ex-husband and she died a couple days later in hospital.
Sad as it may seem, these three people were no better or worse than Mr Berg. It just so happens that their deaths weren't caught on camera.
It seems to me that Mr Berg's untimely demise has sparked another bout of forced grief, in much the same way as Princess Diana's did.
I will politely decline your kind invitation to leave a tribute but I do so for my own reasons and I hope you will respect them just as I will respect anyone who genuinely wants to pay tribute.

fatty.

Posted: 13 May 04, 19:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I want to have a tribute to Mr. Berg because he lived so close to me - when I said "county" I did not mean "country", I meant literally county. His hometown is an approximate hour and a half distance from mine if you use public transportation.

dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 13 May 04, 19:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

what about the people who lived in the same town?
I think fatty said it all really.
But it's still a nice thought, don't get me wrong.

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.
geeksandgeeks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4296 posts

Posted: 13 May 04, 19:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Folks, she's really upset about this. Frankly, I am, too.

What did I say, right after the Abu Ghraib photos were coming out? I said "I wonder what's going to happen to our people now, eh?" And look how right I was.

Sara, I'm working on something for you - as soon as I finish my science project. Oh, how I hate physics...

God wants you to send me some money.

"Seven spades doubled, vulnerable, making seven? You BITCH."
ilizarov user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2859 posts

Posted: 14 May 04, 06:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with fatty. I was trying to say the same thing, but couldnt think of a way to put it that didnt make me sound offensive. Thankfully fatty has saved me the trouble.

Im sure that Mr Berg is not the only person who has died in horrific circumstances in Iraq. I assume you will be constructing separate tribute pages for each and every other person from the state of Pennsylvania who died in iraq on your site; it only seems fair.

There's more to life than a bulletin board.
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 14 May 04, 10:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nick Berg died in a very horrible way, but as harsh as this may sound just because his death was seen by millions doesn't mean he deserves more respect than those who were in the line of duty, or were just simply innocent Iraqi citizens.

If you think about it, soldiers and Iraqi people have no choice but to stay there, and as much as they wish to be somewhere else, they have to live everyday with the risk of dying in a war zone. No disrespect to Nick Berg, he obviously didn't deserve to die (mostly by having millions witness an absolutely horryfing death).. but what the hell was he doing in Iraq in the first place? Why didn't he leave when he had the chance to do so? He was told that his life was at risk, and that by being an international citizen (especially American) he was a constant target for as long as he stayed in Iraq. He was offered a flight to Jordan that'd take him back to U.S. soil, but he turned it down. You don't know how many people living in Iraq right now wish they had an oportunity like that.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 14 May 04, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I applaud you for what you're doing! I've never understood people who post replies merely to tell people their ideas are pointless in their own unwanted opinions. I guess they're trying to say "No, don't do anything creative with your pain, just hold those feelings inside"

Best of luck to you hon! Wish I had something to contribute but I have no visual or writing skills.

Janet user not visiting Queenzone.com
Janet
Deity: 3937 posts

Posted: 14 May 04, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I applaud you too. I truly do understand what fatty and the others are trying to say. But I feel that ANY random act of kindness towards another person, especially with all the horrific acts we've heard about lately, is truly a wonderful thing. And if it makes YOU feel good, you should do it.

-If you want the best seat in the house, you have to move the cat.

Krizzy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1806 posts

Posted: 14 May 04, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What happened to Mr. Berg while horrifying, unfortunately, happens all over the world, it's just not filmed and shown on international TV. The Iraq war has shown to the world the utter brutality of humanity and what our world has become. Sick, sad and unhumane in all its gory detail which the press and media seems to glare into our TVs, radios and newsprint everyday.

What happen to humanity?

Where's mercy?

It's frightening to think about the rage people are expressing not only in Iraq but everwhere in this world. Just driving your car on a street anywhere in this world and you are sure to find angry people ready to take potshots at you for obeying the rules.

Nobody it seems has any patience, nobody seems to be happy doing an ordinary job, everyone especially young people want to be models, or rockstars or have money handed to them for doing nothing or a lousy job and having a real crappy attitude while doing it.

If this is what we have now what will we have in the next ten years, BE AFRAID I KNOW I AM!

Kriz :o(

Long Live Queen!!!
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 14 May 04, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have a feeling that she is merely trying to cope with this tragedy in her own way. I'm sure that living in Philly, the same place as the Berg family, this event has overwhelmed the community and media. It would be impossible to escape what happened, and let's face it, I'm an adult and it gives me nightmares to think of that video. I can only imagine how it would effect a 14 year old.

I know Fatty means well and I agree that his point is valid, but I think she is trying to do something that she feels is worthwhile in order to cope with her grief.

DJ's the man we love the most

Posted: 14 May 04, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thank everyone for the replies, both positive and negative. (Especially the positives, I always like them :)) I am actually 16, not 14, but it's all good.

The site is coming along so far, but Geocities is annoying. I also have to fight my "weird website" urges that I do with less serious websites, as in putting pictures of rabbits in the site for absolutely no reason. I'm sure that would be very strange in this case.

Sicmot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 14 May 04, 20:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes.. he died a horrible death.. but it was commited in a way he didnt have to suffer too long.. I mean he died instantly when his spinal tap was broken..

One human tragedy by people who doesnt respect anything living.

the world is fucked up.. there's nothing we can really do by paying tributes to help to make it better.. the only way to try it.. is to create more anti-bush sites.. One man.. what has he done.. for god's sake.. he should be put in trial for every single casualties the mindless invasion and war after has caused.. We wont do any honor to Mr. Berg by promoting him to status of martyr.. there's no time to grief anyone.. we must act.. not spill any more tears passively..

God created man from dust, man replied with sin and lust..
Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts

Posted: 14 May 04, 21:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have never understood why people get upset over the death of someone they didn't know.

Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.
dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 14 May 04, 23:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because you think of how bad it must be for those still living. And how bad it would be for you if it was someone you knew.
So you see, I understand where FGT is coming from, it's just not my kind of thing. It seems a very American sort of thing to do, if I may say so; you'd never catch anyone here doing that.
Maybe that's why those of us who aren't from the US seem to share the same view...interesting.

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 15 May 04, 00:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It doesn't matter whether it's the guy who lives down your block, or someone who lives in a village at the other side of the world. It's a horrible way to die, keeping in mind how awful it was to witness it.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts

Posted: 15 May 04, 09:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Because you think of how bad it must be for those still living. And how bad it would be for you if it was someone you knew."

I don't think like that - maybe that's a good thing, maybe it's not, I don't know.

Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.

Posted: 15 May 04, 11:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"but it was commited in a way he didnt have to suffer too long.. I mean he died instantly when his spinal tap was broken.."

Classmates of mine who braved watching the unedited tape say that wasn't quite the case. I won't delve any deeper than that.

geeksandgeeks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4296 posts

Posted: 15 May 04, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, Bob, just because you have the emotional range of a fly doesn't mean we all do.

Kidding ;) Just kidding. But yes, some people do get upset over ANY death. Death is not a good thing.

God wants you to send me some money.

"Seven spades doubled, vulnerable, making seven? You BITCH."
-fatty- 2850 user not visiting Queenzone.com
-fatty- 2850
Deity: 2029 posts

Posted: 15 May 04, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really don't want to start a slagging match but I think a couple of people are missing the point. If you are going to pay tribute to someone then you are recognising what they did while they were alive. That could be anything from trying to find a cure for cancer or asking old Mrs Dalrymple at the end of the street if she needs any shopping.
I have no idea if Nick Berg did anything worthy of a tribute in his short life. In fact all I do know about Nick Berg is that he was filmed while having his head chopped off.
Now this next comment is not directed at the original poster of this thread. It is aimed squarely at Deacon-fan/Buggery/Pistons a pumpin or whatever you have decided to call yourself next. I tried my hardest to keep it polite and explain why I felt it would be hypocritical of me to add a tribute to someone I know nothing about.
I don't have a problem with anyone else adding something to a tribute, it's just not my cup of tea. If you can't accept that then you better have a fucking good reason for me to change my mind or should I just keep my bug fat mouth shut and go with the flow?

So if you can't bring anything a little more constructive to this discussion, keep your trap shut while the grown ups are talking.

fatty