Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > New Fan Song Added: Bohemian Rhapsody

forum rss feed
Author

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 May 04, 05:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow,. I didn`t expect to see it here:). Any critic is welcome, even if it`s like "hey idiot how can you destroy the song of the millennium"

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 19 May 04, 05:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well...

"Interesting" would be how I would describe it.

I like some of the ideas you had, for example, the guitar in the second verse instead of the piano (to me it had a Beatles vibe to it), the choir over the heavy section, and it was nice to hear a reprise of the verse/first ballad section at before the coda of the song.

What lets your version down though is the execution of it. I'm sorry, but the guitar-sound is horrible, and whoever played it (I presume you) is not particularly adept.

The a capella intro was bold, but I felt it just seemed random, like you didn't actually have a clear structure and idea, harmonically and rhythmically, of what you wanted to do, or ultimately how it was gonna sound.

I mentioned on Vinou's song about my discomfort when hearing foreign accents in an English-sung song, so I won't repeat myself here...

And finally the mix was odd. Certain parts sounded like they were maybe meant to be panned hard-left or something, but instead just faded out completely. That may be intentional, but it sounded like a mistake to me. And somewhere around the heavy section there was just a nasty overall harshness of white-noise and overblown sound.

But still, it showed creativity and knowledge, and as always it's good that you did this and that people continue to do these things.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
Sebastian

Posted: 19 May 04, 06:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah the guitar sound is the top criticised feature here. It`s way too distorted, I do like it that way but I`m aware it`s too different from the Red Special. Particularly in lower quality versions (that I had to send to some friends in 96 kbps and things like that) is just a bizarre noise each time I hit a chord.

There`s many stuff that could have been better but I was so incredibly tired working on it that I just went and finished it and mixed it. I did know how I wanted each section to sound but I didn`t work on every track (as I must have done) and just did a little of edition in the bounces (which were a lot, some vocal parts are 8 times tracked or soemthing like that). So sometimes you get weird noises... specially the bass in the reprise has some distortion that I didn`t want but it was already mixed.

100% right/left panned stuff: I did like them when I heard them in a huge stereo. Hearing them in headphones is not so good, I agree.

Vocals: In all my recordings I do one simple take of the lead (since I don`t care that mych about it) and I work harder on harmonies. Some day I`ll do it the pro way, compiling a vocal track out of many takes, even if I have to repeat every sentence separately.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. It`s getting better all the time.

I`m planning on a new version... much longer and heavier. But I`ll do it in matter of years, since I wrote some instrumental parts way too difficult and I`ll need some time to rehearse them. Moreover I don`t have the equipment right here right now.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Simmer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 195 posts

Posted: 19 May 04, 06:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The singing is very bad and de intro just doesn't make any sense.
Sorry pal, but you have to try better than this if you want to impress me.

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Sebastian

Posted: 19 May 04, 07:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I`m not trying to impress you. I`m not trying to be Freddie Mercury either. This version is not recommended for people wanting it to sound like the original.

But thanks for the comment :)

Sicmot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 19 May 04, 08:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes.. I agree.. thats quite effortless try.. The intro is horrible.. and actually.. quite everything is.. I dont know if anyone can really rape it any better =D and the synths.. Uve used... more than terrible and hobrrible.. frankly, its horrondous!!! :) sinister, malign, wicked, queasy, vicious, dismal, doleful, piteous, pitiable, woeful, paltry, dreadful, grisly, horrid and disastrous...

God created man from dust, man replied with sin and lust..
Sebastian

Posted: 19 May 04, 09:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 19 May 04, 09:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*cries* WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Killed by drones.
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 19 May 04, 09:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Weird. The harmonies at the beginning sounded so random. I don't know if that was intended, but I perceived some as mistakes. And was pitch-shifting used?

Not great. Liked a bit of the main song. But don't get me wrong, it's not because it's not the Queen arrangement!

Peace,
Adam.

Sebastian

Posted: 19 May 04, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No I didn`t change pitch. The "randomness" in the intro is because of bouncing as I mentioned. For example I recorded "very very frightening me" but had a noise, like an airplane in the background or something. I didn`t edit it because I used to rush to the next take, and that was like 8-10 takes so a lot of background noises were together. If you put them with piano and stuff they`re hardly noticed, but not left a capella they sound harder. Same as many vocal parts sound way weaker.

But, just as my website, it`s a matter of re-doing it over and over again until I can have a finished version

Posted: 19 May 04, 10:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now come on Sebastian...Are you SURE you didn't use pitch-shifting on your voice?

Somehere towards the end (probably "for MEEE") there was a high-voice that I would have bet my house on as having been sped-up.

Similarly, there was a stupidly low voice somewhere that could only have been slowed down.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 19 May 04, 10:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some people just have big ranges.

I have a range of 3 octaves and 10 semitones.
Now I just need a better singing voice

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Sicmot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 19 May 04, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You singers of songs.. I know there's people who have thin voice and some people have thicker and fuller voice.. but Ive been wondering what can you do for a thinner voice.. "put a pair of pliers under throat and frock"? :D in order to make it thicker that is.

Smoking, whiskey?.. throat operations?. shaping teeths?

God created man from dust, man replied with sin and lust..

Posted: 19 May 04, 11:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know Niek. I've got one too.

I can handle all the notes in Sebastian's song (except I think the ridiculously low sound that I swear is slowed down), it's just that the SOUND of the notes sounded slowed-down/sped-up.

You know, the 'chipmunk' effect when you speed a voice up due to the very fast vibrato, and obviously the opposite with slowed down voices.

Hitman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2217 posts

Posted: 19 May 04, 12:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it's cool that someone dares to record Bohemian Rhapsody! a difficult song!
Congratulations, to my ears it isn't bad! (well...you can improve a lot of course.....)

Anything too stupid to be said... is sung.
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 19 May 04, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also had doubts about the low part Bohardy :)

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Virtuoso user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 806 posts

Posted: 19 May 04, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The intro sounded like one of those Oompa Loompa's songs...weird.Anyways,I respect the effort.

When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power,The World Will Know Peace
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 19 May 04, 14:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lots of fun! Thanks for sharing that Sebastian!

Sebastian

Posted: 19 May 04, 19:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

None of the notes, from Bb0 to Bb4 are speeded up. I can more or less easily sing the Bb0, but the Bb4 costed me so much and that`s why it sounds like a bat or something like that

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 19 May 04, 21:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know. I could have done a worse version.

*does one and becomes international songstress...of deaaaaaaaaaath*

I tinker!

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!