Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > I've lost my faith in "Queen"

forum rss feed
Author

Mack2008 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mack2008
Bohemian: 111 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 May 04, 09:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So - I started listening to Queen in the late 70's.

Loved them passionatly. Not a day passed that I didn't listen to at least two albums all the way through. Couldn't go to sleep at night without one of their albums playing.

Went to Wembley in 1992 to bid farewell to Freddie. Wept a lot at the stadium and at his house. Very stressful and emotional time.

Have met Brian many times and think he's a nice guy who is very gifted. Have met Roger a couple of times - typical rock n roller - again - nice guy.

BUT

Over the last few years I really feel that "Queen" as Roger and Brian call themselves, are just a shadow of the band they used to be.

I find the Pepsi project, musical etc to smell of "grasping at the last whif of success". I know they can do what they like and who am I to sit in judgement on such a great group of musicians but I just feel the name of Queen is being diluted from that of "legendary rock band" to one of "media / pop whores".

I guess the only thing that would rekindle my respect and admiration for them right now would be some true creative work on new material and see them living for the now, rather than the past. As my once favorite band stands in ruins I look back with happiness on a great past and look to the future with hope. Sadly, today the only one I have GREAT respect for is John Deacon. He left with his head up and his integrity in one piece.

Not trying to start a flame war, just needed to think out loud and hope you can all appreciate my point of view.

J.

PS - This is a great website! Pity Jacky couldn't come up with something as good.

Lawyeris user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 9082 posts

Posted: 26 May 04, 09:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think you lost your faith not in Queen (fab four), but in Brian's and Roger's recent (mainly after Made in Heaven) activity and unsuccesfully/shit projects under the name "Queen". That's normal. I feel allmost the same, but lets keep the faith, things would turn to better side.

Lithuania
Hank H. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 26 May 04, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not new that some of the visitors of this board feel like that and it has all been said before.
And I agree 100%.

"I'm a great believer in actually NOT giving people what they want"

Brian May, 11 March 05
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 26 May 04, 12:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Booooooooooring

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 26 May 04, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Feels very similiar... What else to add....? I just hope, I just hope... Milton Keynes out- not a bad move... actually pretty good one, so... I just hope...

Into La Ment user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 160 posts

Posted: 26 May 04, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am very tempted to nod in agreement... that won't lead to me getting hung, drawn and quartered, will it?

Previously known as 'Poodle Permed'.
queenrocks! 10902 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 455 posts

Posted: 26 May 04, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe in Queen but "Queen" are just a facelift for the fab four we know and still love.

I'm just a musical prostitute my dear!

FREDDIE MERCURY 1984
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 26 May 04, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So if Bri and Rog did another tour, you expect them go on as Brian May and Roger Taylor? They would/will sell alot more as Queen. And I still love Queen as those two, but I don't like it when they play with the WWRY cast. Like at the jubille and Children In Need 2002. And the less said about Pepsi, the better

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
Krizzy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1806 posts

Posted: 26 May 04, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You have certainly a right to your opinion but look at it from this angle, certainly Brian May and Rgoer Taylor have more power in the music world under the Queen banner, they formed Queen along with FM and JD. They are not Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Ringo, or George Harrison and hence do not possess that kind of musical reverence in the world.

However, I'd like to point out to you the thing they do have and will always have is Queen and the rights to their music and songs on the band's behalf (JD gave his permission and why not isn't he making a few bob here and there too as well as FM's heirs...hmmmm) Alot of fans might find it hard to swallow certainly alot of bands including that "holy band" The Beatles who are still much revered have "sold out to corporations", a certain Nike commercial comes to mind in fact. So what they do as "Queen" is nothing new and has been done by many, many other artist.

This is nothing to scream about or yell. If you don't like it it's as simple as not playing the music and moving on with your life. I can never understand why ppl complain about something they cannot control. Do you honestly think that Queen or any other band will listen to your rantings about their music in commercials or a musical, really! LOL!

Call me a stepford or whatever you want I think it's plain silly to complain about music that has "Sold out" please get a life!

Kriz >:|

Long Live Queen!!!
NoOneButYou1975 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2320 posts

Posted: 26 May 04, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Krizzy wrote:

You have certainly a right to your opinion but look at it from this angle, certainly Brian May and Rgoer Taylor have more power in the music world under the Queen banner, they formed Queen along with FM and JD. They are not Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Ringo, or George Harrison and hence do not possess that kind of musical reverence in the world.

However, I'd like to point out to you the thing they do have and will always have is Queen and the rights to their music and songs on the band's behalf (JD gave his permission and why not isn't he making a few bob here and there too as well as FM's heirs...hmmmm) Alot of fans might find it hard to swallow certainly alot of bands including that "holy band" The Beatles who are still much revered have "sold out to corporations", a certain Nike commercial comes to mind in fact. So what they do as "Queen" is nothing new and has been done by many, many other artist.

This is nothing to scream about or yell. If you don't like it it's as simple as not playing the music and moving on with your life. I can never understand why ppl complain about something they cannot control. Do you honestly think that Queen or any other band will listen to your rantings about their music in commercials or a musical, really! LOL!

Call me a stepford or whatever you want I think it's plain silly to complain about music that has "Sold out" please get a life!

Kriz >:|

The Certain Nike commercial wasnt the Beatle's fault...mostly it was Michael Jackson's...

I'm caught in between with a fading dream ..........

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/QueenForADay

Krizzy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1806 posts

Posted: 26 May 04, 15:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah! That's the sell out King!

Long Live Queen!!!
SallyJ. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 689 posts

Posted: 26 May 04, 16:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're certainly not the only one who feels this way, JasonMack :)

Whatever Brian and Roger may have planned for the future, we always have the past ;-)
That sounded horrible, I know! But it's true :P

Another J.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 26 May 04, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You see, there's this weird thing about JD. Most people give him the benefit of the doubt and usually say something about respecting him more than the other remaining members. But while he doesn't participate physically, he sure doesn't mind condoning a lot of what Bri and Rog do.

Bri and Rog go off and try things and you don't have to like it - fair enough. But John sits on his bum and makes money from what they're currently doing, so let's bash JD for a while! You guys like da bash, ja? hehe

Peace,
Adam.

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6372 posts

Posted: 26 May 04, 18:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're late to the Party, Adam, but not as late as me.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
-fatty- 2850 user not visiting Queenzone.com
-fatty- 2850
Deity: 2029 posts

Posted: 26 May 04, 19:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amen Mr Mack.
You're among friends here.

fatty.

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2256 posts

Posted: 26 May 04, 23:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'I've lost my faith in "Queen"'

Take a deep breath. You'll get over it.

Keep Passing the Open Windows
Nickipee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 95 posts

Posted: 27 May 04, 00:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I've lost my faith in Queen"

Have you looked down the back of the sofa?

let me out of this cheap B movie
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 27 May 04, 01:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember my first appearance on a Queen forum (the old fan club forum which "mysteriously" crashed due to the "millenium bug" i.e Jacky didn't like the criticism the band were getting about recycling old material and passing off solo work and dodgy collaborations as a "Queen Greatest Hit") was to suggest we boycot Greatest Hits 3. The general concensus (apart from Fatty who thought I was a girl and was hoping for some 'fingers & tops') was that I was a "c**t" and "not a real fan." Both of which are true, of course, but I still think the boycot idea would've worked and we might've had a box set by now if GH3 had flopped because of "fan power." But Queen fans will buy anything with the logo on it (including the mythical QueenTurd) and so there's no incentive to release a box set. Why bother when there's loads of cash to be mined from gullible fans who'll but a Greatest Hits package on 8-track, LP, mini-disk, audio cassette, dvd-a etc.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Lawyeris user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 9082 posts

Posted: 27 May 04, 02:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

I remember my first appearance on a Queen forum (the old fan club forum which "mysteriously" crashed due to the "millenium bug" i.e Jacky didn't like the criticism the band were getting about recycling old material and passing off solo work and dodgy collaborations as a "Queen Greatest Hit") was to suggest we boycot Greatest Hits 3. The general concensus (apart from Fatty who thought I was a girl and was hoping for some 'fingers & tops') was that I was a "c**t" and "not a real fan." Both of which are true, of course, but I still think the boycot idea would've worked and we might've had a box set by now if GH3 had flopped because of "fan power." But Queen fans will buy anything with the logo on it (including the mythical QueenTurd) and so there's no incentive to release a box set. Why bother when there's loads of cash to be mined from gullible fans who'll but a Greatest Hits package on 8-track, LP, mini-disk, audio cassette, dvd-a etc.

So, are you girl or not?

Lithuania
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 27 May 04, 03:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"So, are you girl or not?"

Isn't that what the Germans said to your Prime Minister in 1941? :)

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)