Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The Cross were an excellent band

forum rss feed
Author

Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jun 04, 10:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've only heard one album by them (Mad, Bad and Dangerous To Know). It's so good that I suppose the others can't be crap either.

Why didn't they become famous? They have everything that is needed:

- handsome frontman
- strong lead voice
- catchy guitar riffs
- a name that is easy to remember
- both rocking and beautiful songs
- many songs that would have become hits for any already famous band

There are so many really famous rock bands that play the same type of music that The Cross do. Just take ZZ Top as an example. They don't come even close to The Cross in my opinion, but still they are concidred legends, while no-one has even heard of Roger and the guys.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 04, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Probably because it has always been 'a side-project of Queen-drummer Roger Taylor' to the public. Same reason why most of the solo-stuff doesn't sell well, people rather have the whole Queen-group then 1 member with some backinggroup.

jeff payne 1680 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 711 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 04, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They sure were. A good gritty rock band who deserved more publicity than they had.

jeffpayne56@msn.com
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 04, 11:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whisperer wrote:

I've only heard one album by them (Mad, Bad and Dangerous To Know). It's so good that I suppose the others can't be crap either.

Well if you've only heard one album then this link should interest you - tho you really should be buying the stuff where possible.

http://www.thecross.nm.ru/music_nd.html

Dave

And btw... The Cross are still an excellent band

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 04, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They didn't become famous because they were on side of all the things mentioned earlier, terribly dated, bland and average in every aspect. There.

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 04, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*wants to hear "Blue Rock" soooo bad...*

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
7Innuendo7 user not visiting Queenzone.com
7Innuendo7
Bohemian: 816 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 04, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Cross did some really interesting things, but ZZ Top far exceed The Cross. Um, no less an authority than Jimi Hendrix even said Billy Gibbons is a great guitar player. The Bo Diddley influence is a solid mark of respect. For any band to crank out great music consistently for 30 years-- let alone the 5 or so that the Cross were together-- speaks volumes about ZZ Top's unchanging greatness. Sure, I think Roger's a great drummer, but let's be real here.

"My heads's in Mississipp1..."

any of you been to Clarksdale? To the Delta Blues Museum, heavily supported by musicians like ZZ Top? Drive just outside town and you'll find a Mississippi crossroads where four cornfields come together, and there you'll find a cabin which was the boyhood home of Muddy Waters. Great road trip!

When a red hot man meets a white hot lady, Hoop Diddy Diddy, Hoop Diddy Doo!

Posted: 13 Jun 04, 17:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also forgot to mention one more thing:

They realeased a single with Freddie Mercury and still no-one cared about them!

willem-jan 8923 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 818 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 04, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whisperer wrote:

There are so many really famous rock bands that play the same type of music that The Cross do.

There you go, you give the answer yourself.
The music lacks any kind of originality, has some average tunes, doesn't stand out in technical stuff, no "catchy" riffs and the list goes on......

Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 04, 18:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't think of anyone who had great success with a "side project" such as The Cross or anyone who went solo after his band split up. They can't keep up with the success that their band had. The Beatles, The Clash, The Verve and many others... many of them went solo afterwards and it wasn't the same.
I can actually just think of one artist who has now more success than he did while he was in a band and that's Robbie Williams. And he wasn't even the musician in the band.
Well, he still isn't quite a musician, he's rather an entertainer and singer.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 04, 18:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, Paul McCartney, George Michael and Robbie Williams are the only ones with big successes after their band/group. Can't think of any other real major artists right now... Of course there's stuff like Lionel Richie, but he was only really big in the 80's.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 04, 19:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"They realeased a single with Freddie Mercury and still no-one cared about them!"

I don't know about a single with Freddie Mercury. Freddie sang HFE on the album version, the single version had Roger on lead vocals.

I do not want any google ads here.

The Fonz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 404 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 04, 22:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, but The Cross were average in every way.

Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 04, 22:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In response to Sonja and Pim:

Dave Grohl

And in response to the qustion concerning The Cross:

As other people have said, though in slightly less precise terms, The Cross were absolutely diabloically shite, which is why they never made it in any way.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
Ian R user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 827 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 04, 22:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Just take ZZ Top as an example. They don't come even close to The Cross in my opinion, but still they are concidred legends, while no-one has even heard of Roger and the guys."

Now I quite like The Cross, but this is complete and utter bollocks. Have you actually listened to ZZ Top's albums, or are you making a judgement based purely on having heard just a couple of songs?

'Tush', 'La Grange', 'Gimme All Your Loving', 'Sharp Dressed Man', 'Piece' - these tracks, as well as the majority of their output over the last 30 years, is of a very high standard - better than 99% of The Cross' three albums.

The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 04, 00:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

Yes, Paul McCartney, George Michael and Robbie Williams are the only ones with big successes after their band/group. Can't think of any other real major artists right now... Of course there's stuff like Lionel Richie, but he was only really big in the 80's.

What about Robert Plant, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, David Lee Roth, Annie Lennox...? The list goes on...

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 04, 02:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) has a successful solo career as well, I think.

I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
willem-jan 8923 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 818 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 04, 03:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bruce Dickinson, Ozzy Osbourne, Ronnie James Dio

Posted: 14 Jun 04, 04:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

"They realeased a single with Freddie Mercury and still no-one cared about them!"

I don't know about a single with Freddie Mercury. Freddie sang HFE on the album version, the single version had Roger on lead vocals.

I was sure that they even released the Freddie version as a single, but I guess I remembered wrong.

Ian R wrote:

"Just take ZZ Top as an example. They don't come even close to The Cross in my opinion, but still they are concidred legends, while no-one has even heard of Roger and the guys."

Now I quite like The Cross, but this is complete and utter bollocks. Have you actually listened to ZZ Top's albums, or are you making a judgement based purely on having heard just a couple of songs?

'Tush', 'La Grange', 'Gimme All Your Loving', 'Sharp Dressed Man', 'Piece' - these tracks, as well as the majority of their output over the last 30 years, is of a very high standard - better than 99% of The Cross' three albums.

Actually, I have listened to their Greatest Hits (that's where the best songs are supposed to be) and didn't hear anything speacial, with the exception of Gimme All Your Lovin'.

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 04, 06:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think The Cross fucked it up with their first album, that was the worst album I've ever heard in my whole life. Blue Rock and Mad Bad were EXCELLENT but the band themselves still had this 80's "rough" image and I certainly would have never noticed them at all if it wasn't for the Queen connection.

After all, both Happiness and Electric Fire were excellent too and they didn't sell well at all.