Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Too Much Love Will Kill You- songwriting credits

forum rss feed
Author

Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Jun 04, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone know the exact breakdown of the songwriting of TMLWKY? I think a popular conception is that Brian wrote the music, and Frank Musker wrote the majority of lyrics, with Brian adding personal touches. Not sure Liz Lamers input, though. When accepting the Ivor Novello, it was just Brian and Frank. I know he is a respected lyricist who has worked on numerous projects, from Air Supply to 10cc. I even saw a review of a singer/songwriter concert series where Musker performed the song himself. Do you think he had an musical input into the song? Thanks for any help!

Man Made Paradise
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 16 Jun 04, 17:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow... A topic that has MUCH interesting potential, And I'M the only one to reply to it!? I really wish I could help you, But this is something I have often wondered myself. :/

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Josuè user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1970 posts

Posted: 16 Jun 04, 18:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was about to post "I dunno" but I thought it wouldn't be fair enough...

I'm just an ignorant for those things.

An interview? Oh, don't be ridiculous...
[ Wybren™ ] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 16 Jun 04, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe this link will help:
http://sebastian.queenconcerts.com/tmlwky.htm

Great site!!!

[ Ahoy' Rotterdam, April 26th ]|[ Rhein Energie Stadion Köln, Juli 6th ]|[ Gelredome Arnhem, July 10th ]
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 04, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That link to my site didn`t work because my analysis of that song is very poor :)

Anyway, as far as I know they three worked on the song in LA, the lyrical part. The first keyboard demos were programmed (not so much played) with Frank.

But that would have been a completely different song back then, I guess.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 04, 21:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The song has Brian's style of songwriting all over it, and it was so autobiographical at that time of his life (we all know about the problems with Chrissy and Anita and his father dying in the same period, no wonder he was so depressed then!). Until I read the credits for the song, I was so certain Brian wrote it all himself.
I still prefer Freddie's vocal-cord-shredding version. Always send shivers up and down my spine!

The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 04, 03:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice topic. It's interesting how you all try to find an answer. I don't know which version I prefer. Brian has a great voice for this song too.

I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY