Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Best singer... Brian or Roger?

forum rss feed
Author

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Jun 04, 16:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hard to tell for me, while both are great I think that Brian's soothing voice makes him better with the ballads, while Roger and his husky vocals fit the heavier songs better than Brian.

What does everybody else think?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 16 Jun 04, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Jingles, you said it perfectly. I agree 100%. Although Roger can shine on certain ballads (Touch the Sky) and Brian can uncork a rocker (Resurrection), they are, for me at least, better on the opposites. (Bri-ballads, Roger-rockers)

Man Made Paradise
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 16 Jun 04, 17:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

_M@tt_ wrote:

Freddie.
Damn... Ya beat me to it... LOL! Uh, I think you all have hit the nail on the head. :P

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Josuè user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1970 posts

Posted: 16 Jun 04, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jim Beach

don't hit me

An interview? Oh, don't be ridiculous...

Posted: 16 Jun 04, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No really, I agree with the posts above. But I find that Roger has a better range voice than Brian.

Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 16 Jun 04, 17:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually on that one Works Tour bootleg, Spike Edney appeared to be not only the best singer in the band, but the only one! Note to sound mixer: turn down Spike's mic...keep going.....a little more...turn it down more!

Man Made Paradise
D.Blythe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 581 posts

Posted: 16 Jun 04, 18:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have always liked Brian's voice and I think that for someone who sang with Queen for twenty years, his voice seemed to improve between "Back To The Light" and "Another World". Overall, though, I think Roger is the better singer. Just listen to "Electric Fire": "Where Are You Now", "The Whisperers", "Pressure On"?

FAHRENHEIT 911

"Truth is the greatest of all national possessions. A state, a people, a system which suppresses the truth or fears to publish it, deserves to collapse" Kurt Eisner

quackman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 16 Jun 04, 19:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

" I have always liked Brian's voice and I think that for someone who sang with Queen for twenty years, his voice seemed to improve between "Back To The Light" and "Another World". Overall, though, I think Roger is the better singer. Just listen to "Electric Fire": "Where Are You Now", "The Whisperers", "Pressure On"? "
I agree 100%
Brian's voice did seem to improve a LOT between those two solo albums. His voice always sounded a little.... whiny to me, and something else about it that irks me I can't put my finger on it.
I think Roger is great though. I have no problems with his voice.

Farlander user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 662 posts

Posted: 16 Jun 04, 19:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although I might say that I like Brian's voice better or that they are both good for different things, it is obvious that Roger is the better, meaning more skilled, singer.

Brian's sweet sister user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 311 posts

Posted: 16 Jun 04, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nothing against Roger; I love his voice too. But this question was asked on QOL and I was appalled at the vast amount more votes that roger recieved. Brian has a beautiful; clean voice which is very mellow and soothing. OK not always perfect for rock songs. But When I listened to his solo work, my opinion changed. he can sing rock songs too. Listen to his solo work if you don't belive me; especially 'why don't we try again?' that is absolutley beautiful, and some high notes too ;)

And Brian sung more verses of no-one but you; see? meh, he is better! :P

"Take me to the room where the reds all red take me outta my head, that's what I said"
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 16 Jun 04, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Roger's voice. Brian's is good, especially when it comes to conveying emotion in ballads, but I don't think his voice is strong enough to handle the rockers as well, at least not compared to Freddie.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 16 Jun 04, 20:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian's voice is pleasant but there's not enough strength in delivery. Roger's is a little better but due to all that drinking and smoking over the years it's rough (remember the Queen's Day in Amsterdam and how Radio Ga Ga sounded?). John's was never much heard so I cannot say. Freddie's was sheer power and emotion and FORCE. He could be as sweet as candy and smooth as velvet then loud enough to be heard around the world and make deaf people hear again. We'll never hear another voice like that.

Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 04, 03:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger. Not that Brian's voice is bad but it's a little weak. I prefer Roger's voice.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 04, 03:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger definitely. Brian's voice is weak and he also pronounces the words badly. Listen to I Want It All and you'll understand what I mean (the "I'm the man with the one track mind"-part). Freddie pronounces the same words so much better and clearer.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Plengel user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2119 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 04, 04:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd say Roger. I'm waiting for Sebastian to reply in this topic, he always has interesting analyses, though I don't always agree with him :)

You've never seen nothing like it, no never in your life. Like going up to heaven and then coming back alive.

http://plengelqueentrader.tripod.com

Posted: 17 Jun 04, 04:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I'm also waiting for his comment.

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 04, 05:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I disliked Rogers' singing voice until I heard Tenement Funster (well except for the 'Galileo' in Bohemian Rhapsody). I don't think I could see Brian singing/complementing that.

Obversely I doubt if Roger could have contained the feeling of songs like 'Sail away sweet Sister', 'Sleeping on the Sidewalk' and 'Leaving Home ain't Easy'. Well he probably could have but I'd rather it sound clear than as though Roger had seconds of 'Concret-os' for breakfast that day.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 04, 06:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"We'll never hear another voice like that."

*Cough Cough*Stepford*cough*

Damn, must be getting a cold

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 04, 07:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger is technically a far better singer. And he has a bigger range (Although that doesn't have to do with being a good singer, I have a big range but i'm not a good singer)

But as far as who sounds better, I go for Roger on the harder rock 'n roll songs, and Brian on the softer ballad/pop songs most of the time. Although it can be reversed on some songs (Roger: Say it's not true, Brian: Resurrection)

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 04, 09:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger is way better. Not only because of the range (I`d dare say that Roger could sing low better than Brian, just compare I Wanna Testify or Man On Fire with Good Company), but also because of the general aspects of their voices I mean:

- Pitch: Roger had much more than Brian. Brian sang out of tune in concerts a lot more than Roger, even though Brian participared much less.

- Strength: Just note `No One But You` at Amsterdam. They `re both unbelievably weak now compared to the 1998 era, but still Roger was much stronger (you can tell the difference before the last chorus).

- Hard Rock: If you have the DVD of GVH you can note Roger`s high E4 at the end of `Tie Your Mother Down` ("love toNIGHT"), without falsetto, and very very very powerful (more than Brian in `Resurrection`)

- Ballads: Opinion-wise, I prefer Roger - Foreign Sand says it all -, but in technical aspects, they`re both kind of equal. Objetcively

- "Special Effects": Neither of them was particualarly trained on that, but Roger was "less basic" than Brian in that. Listen to his voice glissando in `Touch The Sky` "youuuuuuuuuu". It`s of course not as pro as the ascending one Freddie did in `Under Pressure` but it`s definitely more than Brian could ever handle (also considering Brian would go insanely out of pitch just trying to do that)

- "Passion" (I mean, the emotion they put singing and developing what they sing): Opinion-wise I prefer Brian (his contrast in `Business` send shivers down my spine), but technically they`re both the same. In fact Roger would "win" again imo, Roger can make more "tones", while Brian is either an agressive singer whose`s voice is weak but amazingly and remarkably he "hides" that with his emotion, or a ballad singer in the verge of tears (Too Much Love, Nothin` But Blue). Roger can be very funny (listen to his last `driving my crazy` on Tenement funster), operatic (Bo Rhap says it all), sad (live versions of DOOL), gospel (Somebody To Love before the solo, better to hear in DTS channels), etc

- "Resistence": Even though Roger smoked and Brian didn`t, I can assure you Brian wouldn`t resist holding the screams of MFK or ITLOTG for that long (he couldn`t hit those notes in the first place, but considering he would sing them half an octave below, still I doubt he could resist).

At last but not least, Roger could emulate a full choir by himself (just listen to `I Wanna Testify`), while you could put a hundred Brian and it wouldn`t sound like a choir, it sounds like a block of Brian`s. Roger could do more colors by himself (Freddie also btw, as his solo albums demonstrate)

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.