Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Brian and Roger on Rockline

forum rss feed
Author

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Jun 04, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In case you haven't seen it yet on the net, Brian and Roger will be on the American radio call-in program Rockline next Wednesday, June 23. If your local station does not carry it, there is a link to a live feed via http://www.rocklineradio.com/ Eager beavers also have the opportunity to call-in with questions. Also, what is a good program to record this interview via the web to keep for posterity?

And while I'm on the subject of Queen and Rockline, in my neverending search for radio interviews, I am always on the lookout for Brian's and Roger's 1989 appearance on Rockline promoting The Miracle. Any help is appreciated.

DJ's the man we love the most
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 04, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Absolute MP3 Recorder is best for such things:

http://www.techlogic.ca/r4/product.mv?5

Regardless of the name, you can set it to record directly to a wav file. It even has an event timer. Seems like kind of a stupidly-written program at times, but it works.

Tip: set volume all the way down to record your sound card at actual volume, otherwise you may get distortion.

Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 04, 18:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I envy the lucky people who will be in the studio with Brian and Roger. I'm tuning in for sure!

Posted: 23 Jun 04, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A gentle bump for the show tonight. Call-in and you may get lucky.

I'm still trying to figure out how to record it. Learning new programs on the fly is not fun, but I'll give it a go.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 23 Jun 04, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What time will it be on (European/Amsterdam time) ?

Posted: 23 Jun 04, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok, I think 5:30AM - 7:00AM

geeksandgeeks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4296 posts

Posted: 23 Jun 04, 14:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I missed it :'(

God wants you to send me some money.

"Seven spades doubled, vulnerable, making seven? You BITCH."
The Black Queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 852 posts

Posted: 23 Jun 04, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Naw you didn't. that's the time for the Euros. The time for americans is 8:30 PM Pacific time.

Freddie about Roger 'Trouser Snake' Taylor:

"A nice guy, but dont ever let him show you his home videos...the dirty little sod."

Posted: 23 Jun 04, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, it's tonight. 8:30 Pacific, 9:30 Mountain, 10:30 Central, and 11:30 Eastern.

The Black Queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 852 posts

Posted: 23 Jun 04, 15:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Station that rockline will be on tonight by the way: http://www.1077thebone.com/listenlive.html

Freddie about Roger 'Trouser Snake' Taylor:

"A nice guy, but dont ever let him show you his home videos...the dirty little sod."
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 23 Jun 04, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great! I'll have to break out my headphones! :D

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel

Posted: 23 Jun 04, 17:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay, here's some instructions for using Absolute MP3 Recorder:

Under 'Select input format' choose 'CD Quality' under 'name'

same thing for 'Select record format'

For 'Record source', select 'Wave out mix' then volume all the way to the left, check 'Save MP3 as .wav' although mine does this automatically whether I check it or not.. in fact I've never figured out how to record directly to MP3, LOL ... oh, okay, back when you are selecting input format and record format, you can choose 'MPEG Layer 3' under 'format' instead of 'PCM', this will record to MP3 if you want.. I choose to edit the wav and encode to MP3 later.

Now find a stream somewhere (such as http://www.1077thebone.com/listenlive.html which has other stuff on now) to test it out first. I'm not terribly fond of their streaming techniques.. requiring a pop-up (couldn't just hold shift, I had to turn the Google bar off completely) and requiring cookies and/or a small registration thing before the stream starts, but once we're past that, it sounds decent.. mono, but clear.

Actually specifically for this, you could save some file size by recording in mono since the stream is anyway. Under 'Select record format' choose '44.100 kHz, 16 bit, Mono' under 'Attributes'.. it's right above the default stereo setting.

Anyway, while the stream is loading up, hit record and try it out... then you'll find the recorded waves in C:\Program Files\Techlogic\Absolute MP3 Recorder\Recordings with filenames that are like 'Manual - 2004.06.23 . 16.43.40.wav'

And for the event timer, hopefully it's pretty much self-explanatory because I'm exhausted :-P

PS - Turn down the volume on the streaming thing a bit too.. it's quite loud and mine was almost distorting even with Absolute's volume all the way down.

Posted: 23 Jun 04, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the tips. I fiddled with it earlier today, but was having some problems recording. I'll test it again.

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 23 Jun 04, 19:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Damn... I'm gonna miss it. If anyone makes an MP3 out of it and is willing to share it, I would appreciate it very much.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 23 Jun 04, 19:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Damn, damn, DAMN -- I missed it, very busy day at work...waah! :-((

Posted: 23 Jun 04, 19:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Unless I forget about it, I'll be recording it.. but I'm not sure how I can share a 90 minute program.. even low quality and edited of commercials it's gonna be big. I have 10 MB maximum per webspace. Could split it up but I don't wanna devote more than one space to it really.

We'll see what happens.. perhaps I can share my edited version (just cutting commercials and any songs we've heard a million times) with someone else who can share it somewhere else like the hub.

Would be even better if someone who gets it on radio rather than the web could record it in stereo and higher quality :) Unfortunately Wichita, KS isn't among the affiliates listed, though I know it used to be on here on Sunday nights.

Posted: 23 Jun 04, 20:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hehe, I see the Google ads are adjusting here to fit the conversation :)

Posted: 23 Jun 04, 21:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can't get the damn program to work. I keep getting Error Setting Up Recording message. It worked earlier for me today, but then screwed up. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, but I still get the same message.

Any ideas, Jeffrey?

Posted: 23 Jun 04, 22:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish I could help. Never had a problem myself. By 'setting up' it sounds like maybe you're trying to use the timer.. perhaps there's an issue there. I've only tried the timer once and it worked okay. I dunno :(

I just tried setting this up with a timer.. it's kinda dumb.. since in my time zone it'll be 10:30 pm to 12:00 am it's not letting me save it for 'Wednesday only' since that goes into Thursday.. why don't they just have 'once'? :-P

And I don't think we can do the stream thing with this as a timer because of the way the players are embedded in the page, we don't actually get the direct address of the stream. I'd get the stream going a couple minutes before, and just start recording manually.

The reason I like that program is because it seems so simple (aside from the timer thing).. and while I could just record stuff with Sound Forge, this runs much less bulkier and doesn't seem to take up too many resources.

Posted: 23 Jun 04, 22:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've just been doing a lot of messing around with their streaming page and got a direct address which opens up Media Player by itself, so you avoid the ads and other nonsense on their page:

http://66.28.253.173/KSAN_FM

BTW, here's another of my helpful hints for all: Save resources and other nonsense by using the old version 'mplayer2' player which runs much smaller and more efficient than the newer Media Player versions.

The best thing is.. you do still have this player if you have XP!.. it's hidden in plain sight in the media player folder (usually C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player) mplayer2.exe is this old one, wmplayer.exe is the bulky crappy newer version.

I create a link (shortcut) to this old version and use it wherever possible.

http://members.cox.net/deaconfan/efficient_recording.gif

Okay, I'm off to restart and record the show without distractions :)