Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > First Queen song you heard

forum rss feed
Author

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 13:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What was the first Queen song you ever heard? What did you think?

Mine was Killer Queen, and then Don't Try Suicide. I fell in love with those two songs, although I'm not sure why I liked Don't Try Suicide so much...

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Hitman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2217 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Radio ga ga... :) for what i know of my past!

Anything too stupid to be said... is sung.
MexQueenFM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 13266 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 13:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I want to break free in Mexico, didn't understand the lyrics, but I loved it, didn't know who sang it either

i was only 8, it's true music is universal :)

Mejor yo me hecho una chela, y chance enchufo una chava, chambeando de chafirete, me sobra chupe y pachanga

Tranzando de arriba a abajo, hay va la chilanga banda , chinchin si me la recuerdan
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'We Will Rock You' or 'We Are The Champions' probably.

I was too little to remember.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
RainMustFall user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 258 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 14:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My earliest memory was hearing Boh Rhap on the car radio, and thinking that it was actually different songs. Then, when I heard the familiar sound of the ballad at the end, I thought, "Wow, songs from my mom's time were long!"

You lead a fairytale existance,

But into every life a litte

Rain must fall.
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 14:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"We Will Rock You" - snippets through the hockey game broadcasts on TV here in Canada :P

7Innuendo7 user not visiting Queenzone.com
7Innuendo7
Bohemian: 816 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"We Will Rock You," AM radio I think November 1977

When a red hot man meets a white hot lady, Hoop Diddy Diddy, Hoop Diddy Doo!
jasen101 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Radio Ga Ga

Freddie: "Yes, we'll have a great big cock fly over the crowd!"

Roadies: "Yeah! Great Idea!"

Freddie: "And it will fly into a great big mouth with a moustache!"

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6373 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 15:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Killer Queen - then a year later Bo Rhap. I received aNatO for my 14th birthday in June 1976. I had gotten all 5 Queen albums (8-tracks actually) by the end of 1976 or early 1977.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
Simmer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 195 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It has to be Radio Ga Ga or I Want To Break Free.

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I probably heard their stuff without realizing it many times before, but the first time I remember asking 'who is that?' was "Another One Bites The Dust" when I was 9. Soon I had the single and shortly after I got my first 'adult' record player.. in stereo, and 'The Game' was the first album I got for that. So it was my first PSE. (personal stereo experience)

Then I expressed how much I loved Queen and the stepdad let me have 'Queen' which was the only vinyl he had of them, but also let me listen to his reel-to-reels of 'II', 'SHA' and 'ANATO', saying that I wouldn't like any of this older stuff because they had changed a lot.. he was wrong :)

Then I remember having vinyl of everything up to Hot Space.. then I lost touch with Queen for awhile.. MTV showed up, I discovered masturbation, got heavily into 'regular' top 40 stuff and expanded my horizons so much that I never owned another Queen album or single or anything until 1991.

But during that time I heard them every once in awhile.. Radio Ga Ga, saw the Break Free video at least twice on U.S. MTV because I recorded the audio portion the 2nd time.. we had the MTV stereo simulcast thing :)

And I remember 'One Vision', 'I Want It All', and 'Innuendo' on the radio.. but it was the TV special to promote the Hollywood catalog.. 'The Days of Our Lives' that reminded me how much I loved them.

When they showed TATDOOL at the end I remember thinking.. 'what the hell?' Freddie looked so different. I thought he'd had plastic surgery or something.

Started buying the Hollywood stuff with 'The Works' on cassette, but I was furious when I found that it didn't have the version of 'Break Free' which I knew and loved.. so I eventually got the CD and bought the rest throughout 1992 and beyond...

Went through stages where I got sick of them and sold everything.. always keeping tape copies though :) Then something new would be released and I'd start buying everything again. LOL.

So in my current round of obsession, which started with GVH2 (I bought the first, but it didn't hook me into buying everything again.. it took GVH2 to do that) I'm keeping everything this time (guartanteed!) and making a conscious effort to keep everything mint, and replace the few remaining older discs I still had.

Umm, so my answer is 'Another One Bites The Dust'. Thanks for asking :)

Rich Tea user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 17:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Went to see Mott The Hoople on November 18th 1973 at the Vic Hall in Hanley and came out a fan of the support band QUEEN and I've been a fan ever since! Can't remember what they opened with I guess it could have been Procession/Father To Son but whatever it was that was the first Queen song I heard!

Shadow boxing with yourself just seems to get you no where!
Kai Kurgan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 125 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Radio GaGa - i´ll never forget that moment when i saw the video first on my grandma´s´T.V. When the handclapping-scene started i´ve been caught at once.

I´ll eat them whole before I´m done!

www.queenarea.de
Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 18:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Keep Yourself Alive in 1973 on AOR (album-oriented radio). I've been hooked ever since! :-)

hamsters user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1539 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 19:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the first one i ever remember hearing was Bohemian Rhapsody, I recall being like 3 years old and hearing this thing that sounded an absolute horrific mess and then I heard it again when I was 11 or so and said "THATS IT!" and my grandmother thought i was listening to mmusic about being posessed... but low and behold, the next year mother bought a queen cd and i was quite sure it was them... etc etc

"Big Man the Laltain sahib, Small Man the Mombatti."

-Arundhati Roy, THE GOD OF SMALL THINGS
The Black Queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 852 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First Queen song I heard was Bohemian Rhapsody on the VH1 Legends program I saw when I was young. The video completely mesmerized me and the song had me asking everyone on the street if they had any Queen tapes.

Freddie about Roger 'Trouser Snake' Taylor:

"A nice guy, but dont ever let him show you his home videos...the dirty little sod."
FreDRicca_MeRcUrY user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 307 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 21:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bohemian rhapsody!

"I'm a wild flower. Somtimes looking quite wonderful in a collection of arrangement but also beautiful when standing alone.
Kuku user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 21:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Surprising.. mine's Love of My Life actually - thought that everyone knew this song then.

Goodbye April lady, It's been good to have you around - Goodbye April lady, You've done a lot for the folks in this town...
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 04, 22:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dare say 'Somebody to Love'. My dad was taking me to school and Somebody to Love came on the radio. He turns it down and says 'This guy died of AIDS'. I didn't think much of it then and I guess he doesn't either because the last 2 or so years he calls him a 'buck toothed bowel botswain'

Fair enough.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 04, 00:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brighton Rock, at a friends house in 1974.

Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.