Forums > Personal > Michael Moore for President!!!

forum rss feed
Author

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 08:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was shocked at the hoards of people lined up to the see the matinee of Farenheit 9/11 I was at yesterday. Here? In South Carolina?? Bush haters??? OMG! Gives me hope my vote will actually count for something in November..:-) Although I knew some of the info. presented in this movie already, I was could not believe just how many ties the Bush family has to the Saudis..and just how much they did stand to gain through war with Iraq.. Like the old..uhh..Tennessee..saying goes..Fool America once..Dubya...shame on Uhhhh....Uhhhh.....Can't fool 'em again..uhh..

Erin

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 08:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barry_uk wrote:

Sorry erin i posted a topic about the same time as you :-(

I'm downloading it, gonna give it a watch this afternoon, it seems to be causing a storm over there in the US.

You are just trying to copy me...;-)

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 11:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Michael Moore has said many times that he has no aspirations to run for president. But if a B movie actor like Ronald Reagan became president, then why not Michael Moore.

However I think Michael Moore should stick to what he does best... denouncing the acts of corruption and the crimes commited by the white collar thieves of corporate America.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
geeksandgeeks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4296 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 11:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I loved that movie. He's topped even Bowling for Columbine. And I can tell from the letters in the Atlanta Journal-Consitution today that the Chirstian Coalition right-wingers and their fried Bill O'Reilly are getting scared. Nice job, Mike!

Unfortunately, this topic means we now have Bush ads. C'mon, Google, sell me some Moore books!

God wants you to send me some money.

"Seven spades doubled, vulnerable, making seven? You BITCH."
Deaky's Middle Nut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 101 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tuesday night, March 5 Michael Moore appeared before a full house Arcata Van Duzer Theater at Humboldt State University. Moore, the famous filmmaker and political activist, talked about his new book, about "President" (a term he used with finger quotes) Bush and about how Arcata people might spread political activism.

Motivation, he said, is key, with discontent providing that motivation. "I'm so pissed off," Moore said, inspiring cheers. Moore encouraged everyone who who shared that feeling to combat oppression. "Don't just stay in Arcata and eat your granola, your gluten-free granola," he admonished the assembly.

Moore quickly made clear that he doesn't share some of the alternative culture doctrine held dear by many Arcatans. Asked about recycling, Moore said, "Recycling creates an illusion of saving the planet." He said he disapproves of simply recycling without knowing where recycleables go - they might be sent to a Third World country where people work under sweatshop conditions.

Asked about Arcata's pending cap on pattern restaurant expansion, Moore - widely recognized as a corporate antagonist - again confounded expectations. "Where will you eat?" he asked. "Can't you have at least one Jamba Juice?"

Moore said that the news media try to make people think that they are a small minority when they want to dissent from mainstream America. But, according to Moore, dissenters aren't the minority.

On request, Moore immediately endorsed Green Party candidate for State Assembly Doug Riley-Thron. "He first handed me a $20 bill, then he gave me another one, and another one," Riley-Thron said later. "Then he said ‘Here, take it all,' and he handed me a bunch of ones." The total take: $80.

"I thought, ‘Dang, that was worth doing,'" Riley-Thron said.

After a book-signing session in the lobby, Moore departed Arcata.

‘Small businesspeople are rednecks that suppress the town'

Disappointingly, the Van Duzer presentation barely touched on several current issues involving Arcata and corporations, and Moore was said to have ruled out interviews.

But he had to sleep sometime, and a late-night vigil outside Eureka's Carter House hotel yielded a further encounter.

Moore pulled up in the passenger seat of a Chevy van full of his entourage of family and friends. Looks of tired annoyance were on everyone's faces, but a request for an interview was granted.

Moore dismissed criticism over his purchase of a million-dollar home. "I'm a millionaire, I'm a multi-millionaire," he proclaimed. "I'm filthy rich. You know why I'm a multi-millionaire? 'Cause multi-millions like what I do. That's pretty good, isn't it? There's millions that believe in what I do. Pretty cool, huh?"

Asked about Arcata limiting the number of pattern restaurants to nine, Moore said he didn't think it was a good idea. But what if corporate dominance transforms Arcata into "Anywhere, USA?" "You are in Anywhere, USA," Moore said.

Moore seemed to embrace capitalistic Darwinism. "If the small businesses suck they'll be driven out of business," he said. "If they got a good restaurant, people will go there and eat. You know in my town the small businesses that everyone wanted to protect? They were the people that supported all the right-wing groups. They were the Republicans in the town, they were in the Kiwanas, the Chamber of Commerce - people that kept the town all white. The small hardware salesman, the small clothing store salespersons, Jesse the Barber who signed his name three different times on three different petitions to recall me from the school board. Fuck all these small businesses - fuck 'em all! Bring in the chains. The small businesspeople are the rednecks that run the town and suppress the people. Fuck 'em all. That's how I feel."

I came, I saw, I came in my bloomers....
Erin

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles79 wrote:

Michael Moore has said many times that he has no aspirations to run for president. But if a B movie actor like Ronald Reagan became president, then why not Michael Moore.

However I think Michael Moore should stick to what he does best... denouncing the acts of corruption and the crimes commited by the white collar thieves of corporate America.

I wasn't being literal, but America could certainly do far worse than Moore as Prez..

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 13:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My brother saw the movie yesterday, He hates Bush AND the movie. :|

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 14:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That is more or less my entire point. Hating Bush is fine and dandy. Watching this fictitious "documentary", and going along with it based solely on your political beliefs is plain wrong. The movie is, simply put, a fictitious piece based on lie after lie, but put together in the most damning way that Moore could dream up!

Again, if you want to hate Bush, great. Go for it. But don't mistake facts for fiction, and don't drink Moore's Kool-aid, as he has already admitted, on more than one occasion, that his "bias" has gotten the best of him, and that his movie is factually as wrong as wrong can be.

Erin

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What's up with this Kool-Aid metaphor? I have somehow missed this along the way. At least you can drink Kool-Aid and keep your wits about you... *shrugs* I like grape Kool-Aid personally..yum.:-p~~

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 14:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kool-Aid goes back to Jonestown, there was a thread about it here somewhere, but to make a long story short, the good Reverand has his followers drink Kool-Aid laced with Cyanide so they could catch the next "ship" or whatever mode of transport they talked of...

When they dragged all of the bodies out, the only mode of transportation was the hearse.

Clear enough? Run a Google search on Jonestown, you can find it all out for yourself.

As with anything, the truth IS out there, it is just a matter of whether or not you let your personal politics, or in Moores case, your personal hatred of President Bush, cloud you from picking out fact from fiction.

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 14:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

What's up with this Kool-Aid metaphor? I have somehow missed this along the way. At least you can drink Kool-Aid and keep your wits about you... *shrugs* I like grape Kool-Aid personally..yum.:-p~~
Yes... grape Kool-Aid is QUITE sensational. ;)

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Erin

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 14:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Clear enough? Run a Google search on Jonestown, you can find it all out for yourself."

Yes...clear enough. I know about Jonestown, thank you, just wasn't aware of the cute little metaphor..*eye roll*

Ahh..reminds me of the confusion over Stepford fans..;-) Cherry Kool-Aid is tasty too, huh Dan?

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 14:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Deaky's Right Nut wrote:

As with anything, the truth IS out there, it is just a matter of whether or not you let your personal politics, or in Moores case, your personal hatred of President Bush, cloud you from picking out fact from fiction.

So what's the truth to you... that those WMD exist, and there were links between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein's regime?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Flashman user not visiting Queenzone.com
Flashman
Deity: 4523 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 14:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bloody Limosine Lefty, playing you all for suckers. Moore simply alters history, misling his viewers, and editing the footage and audio for no other reason than to line his own pockets.

It's called propaganda, and dumb folk often fall for it.

FLASHMAN STRIKES AGAIN!

Paul Rodgers is not the best thing since fried Fred.
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 14:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Flashman wrote:

It's called propaganda, and dumb folk often fall for it.

Its no more propaganda than what the Bush administration passes out.

Why in 2000 / 2001 did senior administration officials say that Iraq was not a threat, that they could contain him, that he had no WMD then all of a sudden he is an imminent threat?

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles79 wrote:

Deaky's Right Nut wrote:

So what's the truth to you... that those WMD exist, and there were links between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein's regime?

John Kerry, the Democratic candidate for president, stood on the floor of the Senate October 9, 2002, and said this.

(Videotape, October 9, 2002):

SENATOR JOHN KERRY, (D-MA): Mr. President, when I vote to give the president of the United States the authority to use force if necessary to disarm Saddam Hussein, because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a threat and a grave threat to our security and that of our allies in the Persian Gulf region.

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 15:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hillary Clinton, the senator from New York, the former first lady, back in October of 2002: "It's clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological, chemical warfare and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons. Should he succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the political and security landscape of the Middle East, which as we know all too well, affects American security. This much is undisputed."

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The "uproar" over Iraq is nothing more than blatant partisan Politics at it's worst.

There are hundreds more quotes, from BOTH sides of the aisle, conveying the same things. Were Kerry and Hillary lying, too? Or, did they get the same info that the entire world had at the time, and make the best desicion that they could?

Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20, but now it is politicaly expedient to bash Bush for doing, what at the time, and still is, the right thing in ousting Saddam. All of the rest is partisan Bull.

iron eagle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3793 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

no thanks!!!

i would take bill again over this dingbat anyday (ew did i say that?)

moore's agenda simply is simply too one sided for me--

i got a way with the boys on my block.. :-)

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Michael Moore's movies and other media, and views in general. However I'm not so blind as to not see that he does twist things around for entertainment purposes, and sometimes quite unfairly.

I can't comment on the new movie, not having seen it, but here's an example from Bowling For Columbine:

There's a segment about a little boy who found a gun at his uncle's house and shot a girl. He was staying at the uncle's house because his mom had to work so much.. and go out of town on a bus to a job, thanks to a welfare program of some sort that takes groups of workers to far away jobs for low pay.

Okay, so Moore finds out that Dick Clark ('American Bandstand') owns this 50s rock 'n' roll cafe that the mother was working at when her son was involved in the shooting.

So he decides to blame Dick Clark for the whole tragedy, because he only pays minimum wage and the woman had to work a 2nd job (or something like that, I'm relying on memory here) and had to be away from her son for so long, resulting in him needing to stay with the uncle.

He CONFRONTS Dick Clark as Mr. Clark is getting into a minivan to go somewhere.. Dick of course has no idea what he's talking about, and under pressure of having cameras on him and being asked accusatory questions, he just takes off without answering, making him look bad.

That's Michael Moore's style.. pick an easy target for blame and twist things around enough to make them seem 'guilty' of something, and then confront them with cameras rolling and they inevitably make themselves look bad (notice I didn't say 'he makes them look bad')

Dick Clark's government-approved wages did not result in the shooting, the inattentive uncle of the boy did. He was entrusted to watch the boy, and left a gun out where the child could find it. It's as simple as that. But that's not dramatic enough for a segment in the movie.

So I see that there is a degree of manipulating facts for dramatic effect/entertainment value, but I still enjoy the movies. You just have to keep an open mind and don't instantly condemn all of Moore's targets without thinking about what you've been told first.