Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > SSOR: Brian's appeal!

forum rss feed
Author

agneepath! 11994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1132 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 10:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Dear EVERYONE,

We are trying very hard to track down a good quality (picture quality I mean) version/s of Queen's performances of SEVEN SEAS OF RHYE on Top Of The Pops 1974.

I have asked this before, but I think certain people who may have this footage, think that they might get into trouble by saying they have it.

THIS IS NOT THE CASE AT ALL.

We have only a poor quality version, but we want better if possible. So, if you know of anyone with this footage (Queen performed the song 2 or 3 times in 1974, we'd like all if we can find it), then please contact me ASAP. We will of course pay you for the usage and credit you.

This is 'an earner', if you can help us"

i assume they want this for a DVD release - but which one?

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Isn't it illegal to record something of your TV and then sell it to a 3rd party? Guess whoever has this recording isn't a parasite ;-)

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 11:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Were those video recording laws around in 74', Pim? Damn, if they were.

Peace,
Adam.

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL! Good point, Pim.

You're a parasite until they realize they really need your illegal recording :-) After that you become a hero and you're even paid for that.

Rich Tea user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe you should read the comments in the correct context then you wouldn't make such half arsed remarks!

1. The offer is to pay to use the footage not buy it!

2. Parasites was a term aimed at people who offered for download the 46664 concert & tracks which were produced to try and raise much needed cash to save young lives in Africa. A very emotional subject and for obvious reasons one very close to Brian and Rogers hearts as it should be to all Queen fans considering that Aids robbed us of the greatest singer ever!

3. Brian does not have a problem with people copying stuff sensibly he has publicly pledged to fight any attempt to include copy protection on any Queen CD release.

I just wonder whether it is becoming cool to have a go at Brian maybe you will feel happier when he decides to say fuck it and disappears ala John Deacon. You might not like all he does in the name of Queen but at least give the guy a chance without him we would have absolutly sod all to look forward to!

Shadow boxing with yourself just seems to get you no where!
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 15:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The real problem with this is the Ibex debacle....why would someone who has this footage give it up having been ripped off before?

Hitman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2217 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rich Tea wrote:

Maybe you should read the comments in the correct context then you would make such half arsed remarks!

1. The offer is to pay to use the footage not buy it!

2. Parasites was a term aimed at people who offered for download the 46664 concert & tracks which were produced to try and raise much needed cash to save young lives in Africa. A very emotional subject and for obvious reasons one very close to Brian and Rogers hearts as it should be to all Queen fans considering that Aids robbed us of the greatest singer ever!

3. Brian does not have a problem with people copying stuff sensibly he has publicly pledged to fight any attempt to include copy protection on any Queen CD release.

I just wonder whether it is becoming cool to have a go at Brian maybe you will feel happier when he decides to say fuck it and disappears ala John Deacon. You might not like all he does in the name of Queen but at least give the guy a chance without him we would have absolutly sod all to look forward to!

good remark!

Anything too stupid to be said... is sung.

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 15:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Maybe you should read the comments in the correct context then you wouldn't make such half arsed remarks!"

Maybe you should read my post and notice the smily - meaning that my post was only half-serious.

Rich Tea user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry Pim but I'm in my 40's and have to get my kids to translate text messages for me! Even so I am getting a little pissed off with the general anti-brian feeling on this board just lately, sorry if your joke fell on sensitive ears!

Shadow boxing with yourself just seems to get you no where!
agneepath! 11994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1132 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

P.Guru: please explain the "Ibex debacle"

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Even so I am getting a little pissed off with the general anti-brian feeling on this board just lately, sorry if your joke fell on sensitive ears!"

Hehe, n/p.

Anyway - about this anti-Brian stuff - I don't really notice that. A lot of people here are just a bit pissed of that Brian is spending so much time on the musical, while Roger wants to tour/record.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 16:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep, I said it too. People do like a good Brian bashing. I see nothing wrong with trying to gain this footage. I'm doing something like that at the moment for a project. Getting BBC newsround footage, Telewest coverage of Edinburgh Fringe 2002, original music/artwork from a theater show, etc. etc.

All the above items have been kindly given to me and I've not had to exchange or pay anyone. Even though these things cost them money. The fact that this footage is worth cash to them shows that they're hoping to bring something special to everyone. Better than one person having it hidden away, isn't it?

Peace,
Adam.

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What I'd do is transfer something I've got to a DVD-R (at highest bitrate) and mail it to Greg or QP. Use a fake name & addy for anonymity.

Of course, you wouldn't get paid this way.. but it's for the benefit of Queen and many fans. Even if you do work out a paying arrangement, don't give them the original copies of anything though. One generation of lost quality (probably not even noticeable if you give them digital media) isn't gonna hurt anyone.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 20:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmm...not a bad idea. Best way is to capture it UNCOMPRESSED and save the resulting file onto the dvdr. Because it's such a short song, it'll fit on the dvdr.

Mind you, I do wonder about something. I'd feel a whole lot better if they didn't do that. Simply because I don't think many (if any) of us have better equipment to playback and record/capture on.

Ach...mixed feelings.

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 28 Jun 04, 21:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually I'm shocked that the BBC doesn't have this themselves, and in excellent quality. Judging from the clips on 'Best of Bowie' and the other Queen clips, they keep things in excellent condition. I wonder why these SSOR performances got lost... and apparently several of them?

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 04, 02:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They throw out everything in 10-year intervals or so... so most of their footage from the 70's was thrown out in 1980. At least that's what Jim Jenkins says.

Posted: 29 Jun 04, 05:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"They throw out everything in 10-year intervals or so... so most of their footage from the 70's was thrown out in 1980. At least that's what Jim Jenkins says"

I think I read once that the BBC threw everything from before 1974 out of their archive.

Posted: 29 Jun 04, 06:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Bowie clips are from The Old Grey Whistle Test in 1972.. maybe there's a difference between this and other BBC programs in terms of preservation. There are at least 4 (3 listed plus an easter egg alternate version or two) and they look stunningly good, film-like but totally free of anomalies.

I've reminded myself once again what a really good video collection can be. Bowie's set is 47 listed videos plus a ton of bonus clips on two discs and fantastic video quality, with PCM sound. If only Queen had............

The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 04, 07:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking about Bowie, I just read that he's in a hostipal with problems with his nervous system.

I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 29 Jun 04, 09:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The problem with the BBC's early attitude is that it didn't really care for a lot of their archive materials. Like it has been mentioned above, they did simply throw things away. And that's where the scouring collector came in.

Folks would raid the bins and find all sorts. In fact, it has only been in recent years that the BBC has begun to regret these actions and try to find old shows etc. In a similar way to how the SSOR search is being conducted - Just ask the public for their help.

But I'll never forget the story I heard about Peter Cook's plea to the BBC. They (the BBC) had some shows in storage of Peter Cook's work and were going to throw them out. Peter Cook offered to pay for the tapes and storage but the BBC flat out refused. Heartless buggers...
Yes DF, I do wonder why Bowie's stuff still survives. Probably because they knew how much it was worth. :)

Peace,
Adam.