Forums > Personal > Is this racist?

forum rss feed
Author

Flashman user not visiting Queenzone.com
Flashman
Deity: 4523 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jun 04, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Recently at the annual ball down at the Reform Club, I remarked that something or other was 'about as much use as a Paki at a piss-up' which went down a storm except with one wet lettuce who branded me a racist.
Naturally, I damned his eyes and said he was 'tighter than a Scotsman at a funeral', which for some reason he didn't seem to mind so much. It seems you can laugh at certain folk but not at others, which is a barmy notion in my book.*

I don't consider myself racist. On the contrary, I hate every bastard.

On a brighter note, me and a couple of mates cornered Laughing Boy at the end of the night and made him eat one of Fat Barry's socks, which I reckon ought to learn him.

*- 'Barmy Notions' by Flashman £16.99 in all good bookstores.

FLASHMAN STRIKES AGAIN!

Paul Rodgers is not the best thing since fried Fred.
agneepath! 11994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1132 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 04, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

why don't you ask a Pakistani if he would find it racist?

Catgoddess user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1142 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 04, 17:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds like a sound plan to me.

No synthesisers
the oppositionist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 882 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 04, 18:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It would be very much so if you lived in Bradford England, which is wall to wall Asians. In fact, you would be in the minority and have the crap kicked out of ya!

melinadeacon@queenzone.com
Sir Archie 'Tiffany' Leach user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1331 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 04, 18:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not racist at all old boy but I think your overuse of the word 'sambo' did grate a little with some of the foreign dignitaries.

Nancy Astor : "If I were your wife I would put poison in your coffee".

Winston Churchill : "And if I were your husband I would drink it".
SergeantPepperDG user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1725 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 04, 18:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I made a racist remark once without knowing it at the time (thankfully, only my family heard). I was about 4 years old and we were at a Chinese restaurant, and there was a really big Buddha statue which I was enthralled with. So, I shouted out, "Look! He has big boobies!"

Also, when I was in Kindergarten, a boy told me he didn't like Jewish people, and I came home in tears. He's my friend now, but I still hold a grudge.

Kay Adams Corleone- The ultimate desperate housewife

Posted: 29 Jun 04, 18:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pardon me but since when did noticing 'big boobies' become racist?

If that were the case call me Bernard Manning!

Also did your little friend have a small 'tasche and copy of Mein Kampf under their arm?

Brandon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1803 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 04, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dunno. The boobies thing is definately not racist. I suppose only you can tell whether or not you're racist. I tend to fall on the side that nothing is above mockery, even the all-mighty race-line.
And yes, there are double-standards when dealing with race; Just watch some black comedian's sets or listen to rap.

Posted: 30 Jun 04, 02:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

o.k.... speaking as a Pakistani i would find the term "Paki" offensive, much in the same way that a black person would find nigger offensive.

BUT i would consider things carefully before calling anyone racist. What I'm trying to say is one joke does not make a person racist... but you have to be sensitive about these things.

Oh and by the way... a Pakistani would be very useful at a piss-up... to drive the rest of you guys home!

Flashman user not visiting Queenzone.com
Flashman
Deity: 4523 posts

Posted: 30 Jun 04, 03:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I stand corrected Agneepath, and I meant no offence to you or your kin.

However, I've always found Indian folk a lot friendlier than you lot, y'know. What do you do instead of supping booze?
I can't get my head around it. Go on, have a drink! It will do you the power of good and make the opposite sex much more attractive.

Wait for Flashy though, I'll come and have one with you.

FLASHMAN STRIKES AGAIN!

Paul Rodgers is not the best thing since fried Fred.

Posted: 30 Jun 04, 03:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

no worries... i took no offence. The world would be a nicer place if people had the ability to laugh at themselves. The drink thing is a barrier between our "cultures" and will remain a barrier.

i avoid pubs - simply because i don't like pub culture - but i often go out with my English friends to resturants where drinks are served - i usually stick to Coke (or mango juice)

besides I'm sure we have more similarities than differences (we both have great taste in Music!)

Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts

Posted: 30 Jun 04, 06:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wonder how and when 'Paki' became offensive. If you think about it, calling a Pakistani a Paki is no different to an American calling me a Brit - it's just an abreviation of the nationality. Somewhere along the line someone has injected venom into the word and made it racist.

Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.

Posted: 30 Jun 04, 06:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

historically speaking the term "Paki" is no where near as offensive as "nigger" but it is associated with extreme right wing / racist groups such as the National Front.

i do agree to an extent an earlier point about double standards in racial issues..

but i dont think telling a racist joke about the Scots is the same as a racist joke. why? Scots do not suffer the same amount of discriniation as other minorities in this country.

But i despise many P.C. issues esp. when it concerns National Identity / Union Jack / St. George etc We should be proud of being British / english and i do believe as a country we need to reclaim our flag from the racists like National Front / BNP

DudleyFufkin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 582 posts

Posted: 30 Jun 04, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I dont think its racist cos people from pakistan are pakkis, but if you called an indian a pakki, thats generalising the race as a pakki, plus indians hate pakis, so that would probably wind them up, but I could get sacked in work for calling someone a pakki.

"your shit and you know you are".
Banquo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Banquo
Deity: 2636 posts

Posted: 30 Jun 04, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with the above but one comment it was great to see so many St George's flags on cars throughout Euro 2004 (shame Beckham and his cronies cocked it up). I remember Morrisey was fond of waving the Union Flag at concerts in the early 90's and got absolutely pasted for it waving a symbol of the far-right and all that. It seems after the Golden Jubilee, winning the Rugby World cup we can claim back the flags from the bastards who claim to be British.

As for calling someone a Paki as apposed to calling someone a Brit when they are both just abbreviations 'Paki' is an unaccepted derogatory remark used for decades and seems to apply to anyone from asian descent, you can't differenciate between Indian, Bangledeshi and Pakistani people by sight (at least I can't) so its used to describe them all.

I still think people shouldn't be frightened of words but its al about self-censorship and noticing what company you are in. Spoken like a true civil servant;)

Guess who's back?

Posted: 30 Jun 04, 17:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brandon wrote:

I dunno. The boobies thing is definately not racist. I suppose only you can tell whether or not you're racist. I tend to fall on the side that nothing is above mockery, even the all-mighty race-line.
And yes, there are double-standards when dealing with race; Just watch some black comedian's sets or listen to rap.

I'm so paranoid about sounding the slightest bit racist. I can't stand it when little kids pull their eyes back and say, "Look! I'm Chinese!" When I say that Asians have really pretty hair, I think I'm being racist.

I think the Buddha thing was racist...

Posted: 30 Jun 04, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know- I'm just really sensitive to racism (not just towards me). I went through this phase of being obsessed with learning about the Holocaust, and it really made me think. Also, this at the end of this past school year, we read Night in my Lit. class. When we first started, my teacher was saying how there is no way we can comprehend 6,000,000 or visualize it. However, to help us think somewhat of what 6,000,000 was, she said that imagine that what happened on September 11 happened every single day from the day we started first grade till now (seventh grade). That wouldn't even equal 6,000,000. PLUS, there's the other 6,000,000 NON Jews that were killed. It's such a massive amount, and it really horrifies me that people can be like that. And I think it's such bullshit(I'm going on a rampage now) when people say that the Holocaust didn't happen. Then, there's also the 12 million that Stalin killed and there's the Armenian Holocaust (which is often not talked about). I don't even like it when people say, "I haaaaate him," or something like that. Cause "hate" is such an overused word. I think it can only describe the feelings of these evil people who felt that they hated someone so much, they had to kill them.
Okay, I think I'm done ranting and raving. Lalalalalalalalalala.

SusieJ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 67 posts

Posted: 02 Jul 04, 13:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be honest... and I know a lot of people are not going to agree with me *but*, yes, I think that was a racist comment. You may not be a "racist" per se, and you may not beat up people because of their skin colour or cultural background, but that comment is racist.

People have been mentioning how being called a "Brit" would cause no offence as it is short form for British etc, so "paki" shouldn't either. But, there is a BIG difference between being called a "brit" and a "paki". Paki connotes negative stereotypes, and people most often use that term to put down a whole race of people. Indians, Sri Lankans, Bangladeshis and Pakistanis (etc) are often called that... and more often than not, it is in a negative manner.

Speaking as a person of colour, more importantly someone who has been called "paki" for most of her life (although i was born and raised in canada, i am of indian heritage), I still can't understand why people would feel the need to use that term anymore anyway. I cringe when I hear the word Nigger or Chink... because I know how it feels to be called those things in an agressive manner. I'm sorry... but being called "Brit" or even going as far as calling someone "Limey" or "honky" doesn't have the same history.

And... as for the rap comments or the comedian comments. It goes both ways. While blacks can get away with rapping or telling jokes about whites with relative freedom... there are some things that whites can do and not be looked at twice. For example, has anyone seen the cover of Morrissey's new album? He's holding a machine gun.... just imagine if a black person released an album with the same image, the up-roar it would cause. It's the stereotypes that are attached.

And finally... i wonder what Freddie Mercury would have thought if you called him a "paki" (as many did when he came to england from India), or using that term in his company. Its comments like that that make minorities feel like they dont belong, and they end up trying to "fit in" to belong... as freddie did (thus, never mentioning his indian background).

Shhhh... my rice crispies are trying to tell me something....

Posted: 02 Jul 04, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'And finally... i wonder what Freddie Mercury would have thought if you called him a "paki" (as many did when he came to england from India), or using that term in his company. Its comments like that that make minorities feel like they dont belong, and they end up trying to "fit in" to belong... as freddie did (thus, never mentioning his indian background).'

Hogwash!!!

Ian R user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 827 posts

Posted: 02 Jul 04, 19:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm just hoping that Sir Archie's got his tounge firmly in Flashman's cheek.