Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Help me out on this 45 please!!

forum rss feed
Author

Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Jul 04, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was in one of Nashville's many used record stores yesterday and found a mint copy (+ picture sleeve, US release) of A Kind Of Magic/A Dozen Red Roses For My Darling. I played it last night (not a pop or skip...amazing!) and the B-side on the 45 was labelled Gimme The Prize...which is what the song was. I got my original 1986 copy out of my collection and the B-side was indeed A Dozen Red Roses For My Darling. Capitol screwed up again, to my advantage -- the 12" version has Gimme The Prize as a B-side. Someone was asleep at the press again...
Anyone else have this version?

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 04 Jul 04, 13:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There were two AKOM 7" singles in the US. One with ADRRFMD as the b-side and one with GTP (the one with GTP is the rare one). Probably some recordshop/dealer/someone accidently put the wrong 7" in the sleeve.

Posted: 04 Jul 04, 19:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ooh -- that's so nice to know! Thanks to both of you for clearing that confusion. The promo copy (no picture sleeve) has AKOM on both sides and it is a white label. The 45 bought new is the correct one then!
Capitol Records does not surprise me. I worked for them for a year and a half in the 80s and they used to have record shops return some albums to the distribution centre because (for example) there was a Duran Duran album in a Paul McCartney sleeve. This seems to be the same scenario with the Queen 45 so many years later!

goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 04, 04:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You probably all know this, but the 45 of "Princes" in the US also had "ADRRFMD" (or at least mine did).

Lisa are you still in the music industry?

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull

Posted: 05 Jul 04, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, I got out of that years ago and went into the medical industry. I'm a patient counsellor for a multi-specialty physicians' group!
I'm still a rabid collector to this day. The 45 you mention is the original I got in 1986 (non-promotional, a regular release). The one I mentioned at the beginning of this thread is the one I found this weekend at a used record store (though the sleeve and record looked like it had never been circulated, not even a fingerprint on the sleeve!) and paid $4 for it. After I got home and took the record out and saw the B-side, I had to write and ask after consulting many old Record Collector magazines and resource books I have on Queen items because none had this mentioned at all. Not even as a rarity, which is odd!