Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > 2 unrelated Queen questions

forum rss feed
Author

Ramses user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 164 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jul 04, 21:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What is a 12'' single? Alas, I'm only 21 and have never used a record. From what I understand, record singles were smaller with larger holes in the center (am I correct?). Weren't these 45's while albums were larger with smaller holes and called 78's??? Forgive me...I'm a product of the 21st century!

Second question - Is it possible to buy Queen's Live Aid concert? I know they were just one of many bands and only performed a few songs, but so many people talk about that concert that I'd like to see it.

Gott über alles

Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 08 Jul 04, 21:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

12 inch records are called vinyl albums (speed is 33 1/3 RPM, commonly referred to as "LPs").
7 inch records are called vinyl 45s (speed is 45 RPM, hence the name), commonly referred to as "singles".
Live Aid to be released soon, to be announced!

Ramses user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 164 posts

Posted: 08 Jul 04, 21:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you for clearing that up!

Gott über alles

Posted: 08 Jul 04, 21:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're very welcome -- and welcome to the 'Zone! You'll find you're amongst friends here!

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 08 Jul 04, 21:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Supposedly we'll be seeing Live Aid on DVD this Christmas. I sure hope so! :D

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 08 Jul 04, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh yes, And welcome to Qz! :D

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
SergeantPepperDG user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1725 posts

Posted: 08 Jul 04, 22:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been using records since I was a toddler- and I'm 8 years younger!

Kay Adams Corleone- The ultimate desperate housewife
goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 09 Jul 04, 00:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What was strange about some 12" singles was that they actually played at 45 rpm. I always had to check the labels to see what the speed was supposed to be.

Usually the extended dance mixes were released on 12" records because the 7" ones couldn't hold as much music. Also I think the sound quality was better on the 12" ones because the grooves could be spread further apart from each other.

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 09 Jul 04, 03:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think you're stoopit

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 09 Jul 04, 07:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<<<Tends to agree with FriedChicken, Im only 26 and I have brought Vynil all my life. Infact I buy a hell of a lot more Lps and singles than CDs. Sorry, Im a product of the 20th century. I think this is a bit of a piss take to see who'd take the time out to answer it to be honest!

Chom own mudder fukker.

Posted: 09 Jul 04, 07:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Ramses was raised on CDs, that's why he asked the question!
Vinyl is still sought and collected by many. I found a really rare Rush promo at a used record store last weekend called Rush N' Roulette that was a promo for the then-new album Exit...Stage Left. This one is very unusual, it's multi-tracked! You can put the needle on the edge of the record and each time one out of six songs will play in random order. The grooves on the record are thick, not like the usual LP. The sound is excellent, and even though the songs are excerpts from the "forthcoming album", it's still nice to have an unusual thing like that!

Posted: 09 Jul 04, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ramses, for the record (pardon the pun!!), 78s were ten-inch records made out of shellac, not vinyl. Older turntables had four speeds: 16, 33, 45 and 78 (my old Garrard has this option). 78s came out from the turn of the century to the mid-1950s. They are VERY fragile! My dad collects 78s and here's an example: I was holding a rare Duke Ellington 78 in both hands and the thing broke in half by itself! I was mortified. My dad said, "That's okay, I've got that on LP!". Can't understand that, Dad loved that record...but 78s get extremely brittle with age and can crack like an egg without any warning.
Glad LPs were made out of vinyl!! (LOL)