Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Is John Deacon a Saint ?

forum rss feed
Author

tomnever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jul 04, 10:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Everybody seems to hate Brian here for being in activity.... and venerate John for having retire.

Can't we on the other hand consider a contrario him as a coward for letting B & R doing things he does not agree with ?

Wwaiting for the cheque... Very brave ?!

I have no clear opinion on the subject, I just wonder... and would like to have your opinion guys.

"Surrender to the city of the fireflies

Dance to the devil in beat with the band

To hell with all of you hand in hand"
Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 04, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, dear!
John is not a coward nor is he a saint. The poor man was tired of fame and, after Freddie's death, decided there was no more Queen and retired early to be with his family, who took precedence above the group.
In this age of multiple marriages and families, I commend John for being the super dad to his children and husband to Veronica for thirty years. That's a great accomplishment, even greater than being a member of Queen.
A lot of us may bash him for disappearing from the music scene and not being supportive of his surviving bandmates, but it's in fun. I think John is doing what he thinks he should, and that's fine with me...though I would love to see him come out of retirement for just one appearance. Not too much to ask, is it?

tomnever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 04, 10:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Totally agree with you guys.

But as we MUST be comprehensive with John and respect his choices, why not applying the same rules to Brian and stop judging him for EVERY simple word appearing on his soapbox ?

Cheers

"Surrender to the city of the fireflies

Dance to the devil in beat with the band

To hell with all of you hand in hand"
geeksandgeeks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4296 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 04, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tomnever wrote:

Totally agree with you guys.

But as we MUST be comprehensive with John and respect his choices, why not applying the same rules to Brian and stop judging him for EVERY simple word appearing on his soapbox ?

Cheers

Well, so far as we know, he DOES write every word that appears in his soapbox and can therefore be held accoutnable for them. But I agree with you that we can be a little overly hard on him sometimes.

As to John, bitching about him being retired is wasting our breath. He's not going to come out just because we say so. It's easier to just accept and respect it.

God wants you to send me some money.

"Seven spades doubled, vulnerable, making seven? You BITCH."
Little_Queenie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 558 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 04, 11:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lisa J Goodrich wrote:

No, dear!
John is not a coward nor is he a saint. The poor man was tired of fame and, after Freddie's death, decided there was no more Queen and retired early to be with his family, who took precedence above the group.
In this age of multiple marriages and families, I commend John for being the super dad to his children and husband to Veronica for thirty years. That's a great accomplishment, even greater than being a member of Queen.
A lot of us may bash him for disappearing from the music scene and not being supportive of his surviving bandmates, but it's in fun. I think John is doing what he thinks he should, and that's fine with me...though I would love to see him come out of retirement for just one appearance. Not too much to ask, is it?

Very well said, Lisa! I totally agree.

Give me a good guitar, and you can say that my hair's a disgrace, oh, just find me an open car - I'll make the speed of light out of this place...
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 04, 12:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I totally respect Johns decision, but what annoys me the most is the fact that he just completely shut himself off from everything. We are the people that have out him in the top 50 highest payed musicians list! When he retired, he should have told us, "right thats it, im done!" A little interraction with the people that lined his pockets is surely not a lot to ask!

Im not bitching, just hoping that we see him again soon!! *crosses fingers*

Chom own mudder fukker.
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 04, 16:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John is John. Yes, he was a member of Queen, but now, he's a father and a husband. He chose to leave the current Queen behind, realizing that Queen wasn't Queen anymore. He wanted to retire, and that was his choice. It doesn't make him any better or worse than Brian or Roger choosing to continue.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

SallyJ. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 689 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 04, 16:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And I don't think we 'hate' Brian! That's silly, he's a nice guy, he just does what he likes and not everyone agrees with that. But hate....nah!

:)

Posted: 10 Jul 04, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really thought John would come out of retirement for the RRHOF induction. I was hoping because I met Brian and Roger there (NYC, March 2001) and was so let-down by John not showing up (Brian's response? "Typical Deacy!" and he and Roger laughed after I asked them where he was!).
Then, in 2002, he didn't show up at the Star ceremony in Los Angeles, California. I couldn't attend that so it made me feel better knowing I didn't miss him again!
I *hope* he will show up at the Las Vegas premiere of WWRY in September. I'll be there...maybe the third time will be the charm??
*crossing fingers*

Brian_Mays_Wig

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lisa, If John couldnt turn up at the palace, RRHOF, or the WOF, I cant see him turning up at the Vegas premiere!!

Philip, good post!

It always baffled me why he didnt turn up at the Brits with 5ive *ouch*

Chom own mudder fukker.
Freddie May user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 221 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 13:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think John pretty much expressed that he's out of it in his last letter(s) to the FC (dunno how many years ago, not that long I think...could anyone check ?).

Can someone tell me what he says in this letter ? Thanx !

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger Moore is The Saint
Ian Ogilvy was a joke

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 14:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian_Mays_Wig wrote:

Lisa, If John couldnt turn up at the palace, RRHOF, or the WOF, I cant see him turning up at the Vegas premiere!!

Philip, good post!

It always baffled me why he didnt turn up at the Brits with 5ive *ouch*

I have faith he may make an appearance -- he did at the London premiere, right? Or at several shows?

Brian_Mays_Wig

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I, like all Queen fans hopes he does, but I just cant see it! I mean, the 46664 thing, He could have got involved in that, I thought he would have, having seeing what Freddie went through with AIDS! But no!

If he turns up - BONUS, If not, dont get down about it!

Chom own mudder fukker.
the oppositionist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 882 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 18:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i personally have a theory. i think john went for the job with queen because it offered serious chances of money, which teaching wouldnt have done (for a new family in those days)- thus he took it. i dont think he ever liked fame all that much. so his choice to leave queen to look after his family was fine. as for 'waiting for a cheque' thats bollocks. im sorry but he earned that money years ago by writing the bleeding songs. if they chose to re use them, thats not deaky being lazy!
as for the others, its hard to let go of something youve had for 30 odd years isnt it...

melinadeacon@queenzone.com