Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Sometimes Brian really pisses me off.

forum rss feed
Author

Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 15:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Having just read his latest 'rant' on his soapbox, I find it unbeleivable that he can sometimes talk the way he does. Fair play, he sticks up for Wayne Rooney and Slates Ken Livingston, but to go on about autograph hunters and picture takers the way he does really annoys me. Who put themselves in that position in the first place??? He's always been one of the most recognised people in the world, and people arent gonna ignore him! Im sorry Brian, if you dont like it - lump it! We dont need to hear it!

<<<<Has his ranting head on too.

Chom own mudder fukker.
Rien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You said it right, Philipp!
Perhaps in a day or so Brian will say that he didn't mean it. (or not, no problem)
His soapbox is indeed his outlet and he just writes what he feels.
And he almost always takes time for his fans. Sometimes just minutes, but he'll take time. And the least thing he'll do is say hello.

Feel free to visit my site - http://www.mercuryparadise.com

(Come into my life, it's a MercuryParadise)
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I totally agree Philipp. Sometimes people like Brian need their own time. Something which as you said, is very rare. And this is for the rest of their lives.

I think after 30 years for Brian to be called the nice guy of rock, is well earned. And in general, NO-ONE deserves to be harrassed, no matter what their celebrity status may be.

Peace,
Adam.

jericho05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 677 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 17:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian's celebrity is well earned ; so is his privacy.

Shake it Sugaree
SallyJ. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 689 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 17:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes I agree with what Philip said as well.

the oppositionist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 882 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 18:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i agree with brian_mays_wig. Unfortunately brian is using that soap box of his more and more to blow off steam and although he has every right to, fans= money and he cant go and lose them, which is what he will do if one day he goes to far. That day is looming larger and larger.

melinadeacon@queenzone.com
Sir Archie 'Tiffany' Leach user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1331 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 18:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If people don't like his rants why are they reading his soapbox so often?

If he wants to gripe let him, he could always do a George Michael and stop it altogether.

Nancy Astor : "If I were your wife I would put poison in your coffee".

Winston Churchill : "And if I were your husband I would drink it".
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 19:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hangman wrote:

I can't stand for Brian complaining anymore... I enjoyed Formula 1 cars in Regen Street very much and so did thousands people... who cares if he can't reach his damn musical place easily, for 1 day???

Well, if you had an evening planned to see a musical and couldn't get there, maybe you'd feel the same.

He just thinks about it... and I think he wouldn't have complained if they installed a planetarium in Regent Street for 1 day, uh??

Eh?

He's more a producer and a guest musician than a rock and roll star now, and it's ok: we accepted that.

As if that should matter? Why point that out?

But stop complaining everyday, it's annoying everyone: if he can't stand for such things, just does like John Deacon: disappear and have all the cups of tea that he wants.

A bit over the top with "everyday," but you know what? He has the right. Just cause you don't like it, doesn't give you the right to tell him to stop doing it. It's not fair and it's very rude.

I just hope he won't bother too much if in Benidorm I'm gonna go by him, asking for a pic or an autograph, after I put all my money in his music and I changed my summer holidays just to be in Spain to see he and Rog.

Bah.

When I met him, he was very nice. I asked for his autograph and waited my turn as others simply thrust their item in front of him, without asking. From what I read on his site, I'm sure he just had a bad day. We all have that moment when we mouth off. At least Brian was good about it and made it interesting, e.g. Ken Livingston!

I think Brian summed it up pretty well - "When you're in a position like I've been for years now, a camera pointed at you feels like a threat. Makes you feel like a tourist attraction. Like a person not deserving of any consideration or respect, or privacy. Makes you feel like no-one wants to treat you like a person at all - they all want something"

We can only imagine how it feels after thirty years. But I have to sympathise with him on this one. When you read that line I've quoted, do you not wonder why he's written this down for all to see? I think some fans don't always think about how the guy really feels.

Peace,
Adam.

fairydandy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 232 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir Archie Leach wrote:

If people don't like his rants why are they reading his soapbox so often?

If he wants to gripe let him, he could always do a George Michael and stop it altogether.

Personally I read his website for the Queen news, as it is normally the place to get it first. Queenzone are normally second and QOL some weeks later.
Having said that, he often winds me up with his Soapbox mutterings whilst I am there, and he has on this occasion too.

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it must be hard for him, always having people stalking you, invading your life and privacy, but still, it's the price to pay for fame. Even though he's a celebrity, he still has his bad days, and his rantings are proof of that.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

The Black Queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 852 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 19:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Sometimes Brian really pisses me off."

Join the club.

Freddie about Roger 'Trouser Snake' Taylor:

"A nice guy, but dont ever let him show you his home videos...the dirty little sod."
Future Manager user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 160 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 20:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, the soapbox is just like a diary. Part of it is used to ventilate feelings. I'm sure that if anyone here had an online diary updated on almost a daily basis, there would be more than enough rants in it. Brian is human too, he's quite an emotional guy.

I agree that if you think Brian rants too much for your taste, don't read it. Personally I think it's quite interesting to read about not only things in the past, what he liked and still likes, but also what bothers him. You can get to know this wonderful guy better... that's not the case with every international rockstar.

You Don't Need Nobody Else
Matti user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1619 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 21:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love reading his soapbox. I would still ask him for his autograph and take a picture if possible if I ever saw/met him though. I'm sorry it makes him upset or whatever but I would probably kill myself if I didn't.

Total Blam Blam
Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 22:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To quote Freddie: "Oh, this is fun!..."
I don't see many of Brian's stature (in the music industry) answering emails from fans on their own website. Brian is very rare -- he really does care what fans think. Even though he's a tad busy with musicals, DVDs and CD re-re-re-releases, he takes (makes!) time to talk and give his opinions.
I think that's the person he is (and a caring Cancer at that). I have the utmost regard for him because he's answered many of my emails and even wrote me once asking about Nashville, which was out of the blue and very unexpected! Brian's a very normal human being, and a great person as well as a super performer (and astronomer!). We should all be thankful he's not like other celebrities that don't remember the fans who are responsible for their popularity -- talk about biting the hand that feeds them!
I think Freddie would have been the same way, and maybe John too had he not virtually disappeared from view. Roger's much too busy and it's not really in his nature to be like Brian. I'm sure he does care about his fans but he has other fish to fry!

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 04, 23:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm with you Lisa. Brian is a great guy! I have exchanged a number of e-mails with him, and he really is just a regular guy. Most people don't think celebrities have the right to get upset or vent in a public forum, But, They're still people, Just like the rest of us... And if the rest of us can do it, So can they. Many seem to forget that.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 04, 00:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lucky you Richard! I hope I'm lucky enough to meet him one day... :/

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 04, 03:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I have the utmost regard for him because he's answered many of my emails"

I am sure you told him about the plastic surgery he needs, his overweight and his hair extension and how you pray for his marriage because of all these imperfections - just to prove your utmost regard. Too bad that John Deacon does not make himself such an easy target for your deep affection.

I do not want any google ads here.

Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 04, 03:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=#CC0000>hangman wrote:

OH SHIT, ALL THAT...CRAP AGAIN!!

I can't stand for Brian complaining anymore... I enjoyed Formula 1 cars in Regen Street very much and so did thousands people... who cares if he can't reach his damn musical place easily, for 1 day??? He just thinks about it... and I think he wouldn't have complained if they installed a planetarium in Regent Street for 1 day, uh??
He's more a producer and a guest musician than a rock and roll star now, and it's ok: we accepted that.
But stop complaining everyday, it's annoying everyone: if he can't stand for such things, just does like John Deacon: disappear and have all the cups of tea that he wants.

I just hope he won't bother too much if in Benidorm I'm gonna go by him, asking for a pic or an autograph, after I put all my money in his music and I changed my summer holidays just to be in Spain to see he and Rog.

Bah.

Why do you do all that to see him if you're so pissed off with him and what he says and does?

Brian has been standing in the public for 30 years and I think it's quite understandable that he gets annoyed sometimes.

I think we're just not used to Brian talking this way because he's known for being "the nice guy" who's always gentle and kind and answers the letters his fans send him.

But he's human, he gets annoyed by things and he has the right to say what he thinks and to complain about whatever he wants.

We should rather be happy and appreciate the fact that Brian, although he's one of the big ones in music, still takes his time to communicate with his fans.
There are enough celebrities out there who wouldn't bother to waste their precious time replying to fan-letters.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 04, 05:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian's problem is that he speaks too much. If it wasn't for his soapbox, all of us would still think what a kind and quiet man he is. But since he complains about many things in the soapbox (and hardly ever accepts any criticism), he lost part of the huge respect that many people (me included) had for him.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 04, 06:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As a person who disagrees with a lot of the stuff he`s done last years - calling `Queen` to Rog and himself, getting the credit for I Want It All... - I support him in this case though.

It seems to me so annoying that celebrities have to live all that. Thousands of people know about his divorce, about the birth date of his children, about the schools he went to... and still he can`t even go take a walk because people would be there asking for stuff or taking pics or asking questions. Most of which are so cliched by the way.

So I understand how he should feel. Having had to sign autographs even in a plane, and everything... yes, fans put him where he is, but you`ve got to realise that the sentence applies for both tails and heads. Fans made him a celebrity, but also fans made him (and it also applies to every star) a "rude" celebrity once in a while, due to all of that.

Others don`t have websites to complain, they simply tell each fan they meet to fuck off; that`s worse imo

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.