Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Freddie Mercury Solo Collection - limited ?

forum rss feed
Author

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 04, 21:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe they still make them. I actually checked with HMV last year, and they were selling it for $300 CDN plus GST.

"Not to forget: Are these Region 1-versions in NTSC ?"

If it's region 1, it HAS to be NTSC. Region 1 is USA and Canada, and we use the NTSC standard. Whereas Region 2 can be either NTSC or PAL, because region 2 covers UK, some parts of Europe, Japan, and the Middle East.

Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 04, 21:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, the Region 1s are NTSC, the 2s are PAL (the latter I own).
I want to know about the 2001 American release that retailed for $129.95!! *whine*

inu-liger

Posted: 14 Jul 04, 21:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Btw. this is my 3400th post! Woo hoo!

inu-liger

Posted: 14 Jul 04, 21:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, officially speaking, the USA never did get an official release. And actually I think the DVD's, in both the PAL and NTSC installments, are really Region ALL (I could be wrong, but it can be checked with a computer DVD player).

Otherwise, the NTSC release I believe is an import. I remember before HMV Canada started listing it, the only way you could get either of the two versions was to order it from QueenOnline or BlackStar (if I am correct on the latter)

Posted: 14 Jul 04, 21:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's still featured on Hollywood Records' website, with a 2001 release date -- picture and all!!
(They're a little slow in updating things, aren't they? GHIII is listed as a new release!!)

inu-liger

Posted: 14 Jul 04, 21:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah, I think HR actually only had a 3CD set called Solo, only.

Posted: 14 Jul 04, 22:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, it was a slightly inferior version of the UK set...it was only $129.95. Spun.com wants $96 for it...*when* they can get a copy. I've been on the waiting list for more than two years now!
I may give Hollywood Records a call...

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 04, 06:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it was originally 'limited' (though not numbered) to 10,000 copies - but it was repressed and re-released in November 2001 to co-incide with the 10th 'anniversary' of Freddie's death.

Posted: 15 Jul 04, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm calling Hollywood Records when I can get a break -- and hopefully end the mystery!!
Stay tuned!

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 04, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought that I always understood that it just did not sell well and that it went out of print within the year or so of its release. I do not know for sure though. Otherwise I do not know if it was limited edition and if so how many copies were to be made. This is one reason why I am concerned about the Queen box sets and hope to goodness they tour and do some new things (especially in the U.S. where they need it the most) to really get the public's interest up in their catelog and hopefully a re-released catelog with bonus material before the box sets are released...

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 04, 17:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think I once heard that approx. 75,000 copies were sold in total, but it might be that that number was for the 3CD-set....

Posted: 15 Jul 04, 21:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I called Hollywood Records this afternoon and the person "in charge of your question" will be in tomorrow and I will have to call back.
Typical, but I WILL be calling back!!