Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Innuendo - the album

forum rss feed
Author

bolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 07:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just thought I'd get your thoughts on Innuendo! Was it really that great an album. Sure it had some good songs but the chart positions don't show it. They say Made in Heaven was a bad album but i think it is better than Innuendo!

Oh Let me live

Take another piece
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 07:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 07:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I prefer Innuendo. MIH is ok, but I don't hold it in such high esteem as many seem to. Mainly 'cause it re-hashes solo stuff. The results are good, but it doesn't feel like a complete Queen album because of it. The "new" material is good stuff, but don't think it's as good as a lot of the stuff on Innuendo

Some people seem not to like Don't Try So Hard or Ride the Wild Wind, but I love those songs, particularly RTWW. Would have loved to have heard that live. Also it has the title track, TATDOOL and TSMGO which I think are some of the best Queen tracks ever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they did MIH, but it's not an album I listen to loads

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 08:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'Just thought I'd get your thoughts on Innuendo! Was it really that great an album. Sure it had some good songs but the chart positions don't show it. They say Made in Heaven was a bad album but i think it is better than Innuendo!'

What chart positions are you looking at? They got to number one were im from. They are both brilliant albums. I think they are probably the best two actually. I like every song on Innuendo except 'All God's People'. On Made In Heaven there isnt one song i dont like, but its hard to compare the two albums. Innuendo is like Freddie's swan song, and MIH is like a farewell from them to us and Freddie. It's hard to explain but they both have a feel that no other album i have heard has. Most Queen albums give you a certain feeling, MIH give you the the best feeling, the reprise of it's a beautiful day would have been the best way to start and end it.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 08:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And by the way, the songs Brian, John and Roger finished after Freddie went (Made In Heaven, Let Me Live, I Was Born To Love You, etc, etc, etc) are some of the very best songs and proves/proved that Queen could exist, at least in the studio, without ol' Freddie. Anyone who says that Made In Heaven (the song) isnt brilliant should be shot. Same for Born To Love You aswell.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
lovequeen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 269 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 08:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I prefer Innuendo, though MIH is the only album I have personal experience of (the only album that has been released since I became a fan, compilations excluded), which makes it kinda unique as I can remember all the fuss about it.. those good memories *sigh* :D

Anyway, Innuendo is an amazing album when it comes to the fact that it's so strong and still reflects all those vurnerable feeling at the same time. My favourite used to be I Can't Live With You when I was a kid, but now I've come to love Innuendo and TSMGO the most from this album. The only song that I sometimes jump over, is Hitman.

Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 08:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"And by the way, the songs Brian, John and Roger finished after Freddie went (Made In Heaven, Let Me Live, I Was Born To Love You, etc, etc, etc) are some of the very best songs and proves/proved that Queen could exist, at least in the studio, without ol' Freddie. Anyone who says that Made In Heaven (the song) isnt brilliant should be shot. Same for Born To Love You aswell. "

But these are Fred's songs from his solo album and all they've done is re-vamp them!!! They've done a great job on them by giving them the Queen sound, but the core of the song is the key, and that was from Fred, so how can you say that this proves they can go on without Fred? And at least they had a fair amount of Fred vocal for these.

I feel they could work on archive stuff and produce some good Queen material from it as they did with MIH. But they'd be hard pushed to do all new material and maintain the Queen status. No-One But You is a good song, and stands up. Invincible Hope is quite good, but isn't quite in the same vein as MIH or NOBY.

Anyway, we're going off topic!!! Can't believe I forgot to mention I Can't Live With You - another great Innuendo song. I also love Headlong and Hitman, but then I love the heavy guitar tracks most!

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 08:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> And at least they had a fair amount of Fred vocal for these.

Also the piano, which was the main instrument of the backing track

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 09:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Innuendo is a GODLY piece of album!

On a related note--- MY JAPANESE CARD SLEEVE OF INNUENDO IS ON IT'S WAY!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

*ahem*

Carry on. ;p

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Joma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 388 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 10:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Innuendo is only beaten by A Night At The Opera and Queen II. A brilliant album and fine songs.
Made In Heaven is a different story and I regard it different. EG You Don't Fool Me as can be read in the soapbox is cut and sliced together by David Richards and 'accidently' bacame a proper song. On Innuendo all the songs are created on purpose.

Live life to the full!
Farlander user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 662 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's about average for a Queen album. Not bad, not great. It's better than Made in Heaven, though.

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Innuendo; in my opinion, it's one of the best. The Show Must Go On, Innuendo, TATDOOL, Don't Try So Hard, etc. They're all great.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Sir Archie 'Tiffany' Leach user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1331 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's in my top three albums.

Nancy Astor : "If I were your wife I would put poison in your coffee".

Winston Churchill : "And if I were your husband I would drink it".
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After I brought the Innuendo single, the night before the album was released I couldnt sleep with excitement! Absolutely superb album.
Apart from Delilah, not my fave track, but besides that, it lived up to all my expectations. Even now, listening to Bijou in surround gives me goosebumps!

Chom own mudder fukker.
Brian_Mays_Wig

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GH3, somehow I think not!

Chom own mudder fukker.

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 14:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I loved GH3 for awhile, but after getting the Made In Heaven album, which is a decent sized chunk of GH3, the rest of the stuff seemed kind of thrown together. I hate Wyclef Jean's Another One Bites The Dust, although the Elton John and George Michael covers were good.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"GH3 is great! One of my favorite albuns"

GH3 is not an album. It's a compilation. And a crappy one, might I add.

Brian_Mays_Wig

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 14:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GH3 is a mish mosh of songs put on to an album, to make more money and then it conveniently makes 3 GH albums so they can release a platinum collection and make even more money!

Chom own mudder fukker.

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 14:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think You Don't Fool Me grows on you, at least it did for me. It sounds kind of like it's from Hot Space, even though it's actually from much later. But the guitar solo is great, as they usually are. :D

Brian_Mays_Wig

Posted: 28 Jul 04, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*yawns*

Chom own mudder fukker.