Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > 70's, 80's,90's Queen

forum rss feed
Author

supernova190188 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 232 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jul 04, 08:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

just a thought but if you had to choose which decade of Queen songs do you prefer? the 70's with killer queen and b rhap etc , the 80' with under pressure, kind of magic, i want to break free etc or the 90's Queen with show must go on , i want it all etc. i think if i had to choose it would be the 80's Queen

We love you Freddie, R.I.P
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 04, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

70s, no question

Posted: 30 Jul 04, 08:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I WANT IT ALL is on "The Miracle" album therefore it's from 80s, not 90s...

Ramses user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 164 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 04, 09:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wow...good question. Hmm...If I had to choose I'd choose 70's Queen. I loved the music and I loved the shows they put on with the "long hair" Freddie. I sometimes see the late 80's shows as more thematic productions than simple concerts. That's not really a good or bad, but there is something special about seeing them just play and the only stage act is Freddie prancing around. The 90's albums were much more...mortal I guess is the word. It's so sad to listen to the MIH album or Innuendo. As for the 80's in terms of music...i prefer "No Synthesizers!" :-)

Gott über alles

Mean Mistreater user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 482 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 04, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

70's hands down - it took me years to start actually liking the 80s material, and i still rarely listen to anything past hot space. i have to be in a certain mood to listen to anything past that album - that over processed, synthesized sound just doesn't cut it

Posted: 30 Jul 04, 09:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YouNearlyDidMeIn wrote:

70's hands down - it took me years to start actually liking the 80s material, and i still rarely listen to anything past hot space. i have to be in a certain mood to listen to anything past that album - that over processed, synthesized sound just doesn't cut it
100% agreed!!! I'm with you on that one- BUT Miracle and Innuendo I like very much... Just this 1982-86 period...

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 04, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

70's!

Dito: too much I don't like from the 80's (although there are more then one or two of my all time favourites on The Miracle. That remains one of my favourite albums). But I don't like most of 80's pop/rock in general. The 90's were very good to just sublime at the time. But hey, we are talking only ONE album and some bits and pieces here. And although they made some of their best pieces of work in the 90's, quite a bit of it to me sounds a bit outdated nowadays. Besides I also don't like the synthesized, poppy sound. I especially hate those 'electronic' and unnatural sounding drums from those days. Roger is a great drummer but on lots of songs on Innuendo and Made In Heaven it's like we're listening to a drumcomputer...
Ooh... are we being critical here

Mean Mistreater user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 482 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 04, 09:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i prefer miracle to innuendo then made in heaven...the works and the magic album collect dust at my house...actually i think that the miracle album is flawless...yes even with party and khashoggi's ship...but still i don't put it in the same category with any of the 70's albums

and fenderek - totally agree with you on the wembley concert - but i'll be quiet since most of the queenies here adore that concert

Into La Ment user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 160 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 04, 10:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd have to agree with most, and say '70s, no questions asked. I still don't like listening to the majority of their '80s output. '90s was an improvment, though.

Previously known as 'Poodle Permed'.
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 04, 12:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Early 70s stuff is superb, but Queen were a band that moved with the times, so I like most of thier stuff, I always thought that NOTW was a little bit weak, but apart from that, great tunes, sounds, effects throughout. Miracle/Innuendo, fantastic rock albums.

Chom own mudder fukker.
Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 04, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd choose 70s too - but the late 70's, like '78/'79 'cause I think musically and in live performances that was probably the most intense. I love Queen all the way through though and like the fact that they did change constantly. The major factor in music that attracts me is variety, and Queen had that in abundance.

They never stuck to a formula, they always mixed it up and did something different. Sometimes that difference wasn't fantastic (Hot Space) but it was always interesting, and i think this is the main thing. This is why I don't "dislike" the 80s synth era. They dabbled heavily early on (Hot Space, The Works), then ebbed a little (Magic), revisted a little more (Miracle), but then found the right balance (Innuendo) and completed that in MIH.

I can't really fault them, although there are songs I like more than others. Call me a Stepford if you like, but I don't think anything was THAT bad.

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 04, 12:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If I had to choose, the 70's, because I love every album from that period, whereas I think the 80's albums aren't as amazing, though they're still good.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

KillerQueen840 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4081 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 04, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would choose the 70's!!!!!

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keep out the joy."

(Jim Rohn)
♥Killer_Queen1946♥ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 172 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 04, 13:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would pick 70's Queen. I liked this era because they were new and they sounded brilliant! The 80's has its applause in its own special way, also. The 90's too. But I Love The 70's! Especially with Freddie's , Roger's, and John's long hair. Brian's hair seemed to stay the same through the years...

ta-ta

'You're just jealous because I can rock my tights better than you EVER could!'

'Where won't I wear my sombrero!?'

Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 04, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HeMaToSe_SuInA wrote:

I jlove every album from Queen to Jazz, GH, The Miracle, Innuendo, GH2 and GH3.

The others are a little weaker, but better than any album from other bands.

Weaker the GH3??? I doubt it.

Chom own mudder fukker.
QueenZeppelin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 04, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1974-81 Queen (minus Flash Gordon) is gold. I think that they should do a double-CD set with just tracks from that era on both CDs. I like the 80's stuff too, don't get me wrong, but in the 70's, Queen was at their best; as a hard-rock, heavy metal outfit with a nice amount of pomp and glam injected into it. This era of Queen is what put the group on the level of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath; and it was this era that influenced the hard-rock acts of the next generation. Guns N'Roses, Def Leppard, George Michael, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Metallica and The Smashing Pumpkins among other cite Queen as an influence. (George Michael may not be had-rock but he deserves to be listed here)

However, I do believe that had Queen done a USA tour to support their 1984 effort, "The Works," I think they're popularity State-side would have held up a little better, perhaps continuing the widespread appeal of their 70's glory.

"Have you ever seen or touched any monkeys?"
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 04, 14:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen was brilliant up to and including ADATR. NOTW-Game is more of the same. After that things radically changed - until they went back to real music with Innuendo. My favourite period is ofcourse the 70's - with 1973-1976 in particular. My least favourite period is 1984-1986: poor albums, concerts I don't really like etc.

lottie88 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 136 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 04, 13:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love the music from the 70's most of all. It was pure rock and there was so much feeling in it. I don't know why, but the 80's and 90's don't seem as pure and wonderful as the 70's. Although I give the band a lot of credit for trying new sounds and music. They had to change their sound a little bit sometime.

SergeantPepperDG user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1725 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 04, 17:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

70s! The 80s stuff was still good. I didn't even like 80s music before I heard Queen.

Kay Adams Corleone- The ultimate desperate housewife
VmS user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 04, 17:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The songs of theirs that I don't like so much come from the 80's period (probably about 1982-86) but after that they got better (in my opinion) again. Most of my more favourite songs of theirs come from the 70's but I like their late 80's/early 90's stuff too (for example Innuendo, These are the days, Miracle). However, I think overall I prefer their work from the 70's. It's what I listen to the most anyway.