Well since there was no reply, I went hunting for it:
GUITAR QUESTIONS 31 Mar 03
Stephan Moller wrote:
1) Did Brian used purely his fingers to play the guitar, or a plectrum, or a sixpence coin?
2) Which Treble Booster did he use? (Greg Fryer, Pete Cornish, ... ?)
3) Has Brian used a slight chorus effect between guitar and amp, or was it the guitar whammy bar?
4) Which and how many Amplifiers where used (Vox-AC30? Deacey Amp?)
5) Has Brian used a power soak between transformer and speaker, to reduce the sound level pressure ?
6) Most important : Which microphone(s), and how where they positioned at the loudspeaker?
7) Was it recorded in an anechoic chamber, or in a living room?
8) Has Brian used additional mixing console effects (Compressor, Equalizer-settings , additional Reverb?)
I'm sorry, I haven't time to look all this up so you
will have to make do with my memory. I am assuming
this is about the comparison on the guitarist magazine
CD. MY ANSWERS IN CAPS - Justin Shirley Smith
1) FINGERS AND COIN PROBABLY - PETE?
2) CORNISH PROBABLY - PETE?
3) I THINK THERE WERE NO EFFECTS BETWEEN GUITAR AND AMP.
4) ONE AC30 - I THINK
6) NORMALLY WE USE A SENNHEISER 421 PERPENDICULAR AND TOUCHING THE SPEAKER CLOTH - JUST OFF THE CENTRE OF THE SPEAKER - BRIAN WILL OFTEN MOVE THE MIC WHILST LISTENING TO THE HISS AND FIND THE BRIGHTEST POSITION - THIS IS OFTEN ALL WE USE. ON THIS OCCASION I THINK WE ALSO HAD A SHURE SM58 (OR 57) SOMEWHERE NEAR THE CABINET (PETE?) AND AN AKG 414 AS A ROOM MIC (APPROX 3/4 METRES AWAY AT HEAD HEIGHT) BUT I CANT REMEMBER EXACTLY HOW I USED THEM - IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN 421 AND 58 SPLIT BETWEEN LEFT AND RIGHT AND NO ROOM. (OR SOME ROOM IN THE PHANTOM CENTRE)
7) LIVING ROOM
8) NO COMPRESSOR - NO EQ - JUST MIC POSITIONING AND MIXING - IF THERE IS A REVERB/DELAY IT IS PROBABLY A ENSONIQ DP/4 (MONO INPUT PARALELL TO LEFT AND RIGHT - SETTING 75 "DELAY & REVERB" - STEREO OUT)
Well worth knowing.